How Long?

If you have ever been in the military, you'll find out how fast your "culture" will change.

I know all about the military, its not the same when your going into battle and its life or death.

I must have missed out.

They didn't send us into battle in basic training. Nor Advanced Infantry Training. Nor Jump School. Nor in SF training.

It won't take long. Some will change over several weeks, some maybe never will. And they'll be gone.

It's all dependent on your motivation. And there's two kinds of motivation.

This.

Advertisement
Culture has already changed. After we beat Fsu. Which I'd bet my account on it will all be totally complete. Jimbo Fisher should thank god every single day for Al Golden & Winston. Its been a perfect storm up in trailorhasse & it ends this season. When it ends it ends for good too. Go Canes & hurry the **** up fall.

I used to think that "culture change" was some bull**** cliche or coach speak that staff throughout the program would employ, but I believe that less and less. It's why Saban attributes his 6-6 record in his first year as Alabama's HC to players not "buying in," or more specifically why he claims that the loss to Louisiana Monroe in 2007 actually sparked a change amongst his players in which they finally realized that they needed to trust him and his staff and buy in to his/their 'process.' It's why Saban calls a sports psychologist every morning before practice or why Urban claims that his psychology degree is invaluable in this industry.

Culture is hard for people to understand and thus appreciate (like me) because it's so arbitrary and hard to define. But ultimately, and most importantly, culture sets a standard and consistent expectations. For Saban, his culture is built on meticulous and painstaking detail (down to how one dresses and eats) as well as an atmosphere of professionalism at the expense of 'fun.' His players aren't playing dodgeball and eating ice cream. For Butch, he sought to constantly reinforce that you aren't entitled to ****, but need to compete your *** of to earn your spot. Nonetheless, imo, this culture transformation shouldn't take more than 1 year.

Advertisement
Back