How long do you give a new coach?

This isn't 6 games. I've seen this rodeo for the 6-8 years at UGA.

Nothing is going to change, Richt is who he is. Our only hope is Richt can build a team of All-Americans bc we aren't winning games on scheme or out coaching anyone. Doubtful that happens.

I have to give you props. You called this from day one.

Advertisement
The answer depends on the situation.

Charlie Strong was awful his first season, but the program he walked into was a dumpster fire. No offense and no defense. The Longhorns are definitely a rebuild. What proves Strong to be a corch is he cannot improve the defense, his specialty. Any team with a pulse on offense has scored 40 or more points.

Texas should fire Strong at the end of the season.

Richt did not inherit as bad a team. Golden was an all-time failure as a coach but the team had some players. The defense improved immeasurably with solid coaching hires and a change in scheme that suited the talent. The offense has regressed. The scheme does not play into the strengths of the personnel.

It's more execution than it is scheme....too many times, the play call was good. Either a missed block, a dropped pass, or Brad not being accurate stalls the drive....Richt does need to change something, but this OL limits what you can do....we are going to have to recruit ourselves out of the OL mess ...that's a complete abortion

Another former coma patient. The "wait till he gets his players in here" line got old after the 2nd failed coach of this century.

Exactly.....as Dino Babers running up the scoreboard up north with straight scrub trash. GTFO you ******* homers.

Honestly jealous of Syracuse, they have a schematic advantage and something to look forward to.

They better have a schematic advantage on offense because they're going to be in a lot of shoot-outs. Their defensive staff is clueless. They will likely never have a reliable defense.

You're jealous of that?

It's more execution than it is scheme....too many times, the play call was good. Either a missed block, a dropped pass, or Brad not being accurate stalls the drive....Richt does need to change something, but this OL limits what you can do....we are going to have to recruit ourselves out of the OL mess ...that's a complete abortion

Another former coma patient. The "wait till he gets his players in here" line got old after the 2nd failed coach of this century.

Exactly.....as Dino Babers running up the scoreboard up north with straight scrub trash. GTFO you ******* homers.

Honestly jealous of Syracuse, they have a schematic advantage and something to look forward to.

They better have a schematic advantage on offense because they're going to be in a lot of shoot-outs. Their defensive staff is clueless. They will likely never have a reliable defense.

You're jealous of that?

Yes bc defense at Miami isn't rocket science and he could hire better people here.

Cuse put up 561 yards on VTech this week, get back to me when you see what Richt does on Thurs. Keep in mind both are in their first year since that is your excuse for Richt's incompetence.

If we were losing close games and guys were playing their hearts out and the other team was just better that would be one thing.

We're losing because the offensive scheme and play calling is an absolute abortion. We should be 6-0 right now.

This is a fact. We should be 6-0 yet we have made two extremely poor defensive teams look like world beaters. The thing is, & this is the elephant in the room that no one is talking about; they have 0 respect for Kaaya's ability as a passer. If Kaaya is supposed to be a Franchise QB, he should avg. 350/3 every game as a minimum, just based upon how defenses are playing us. GT, FSU, and UNC have put 8 in the box, daring us to pass it, and it's working...FOR THEM. Y is Herndon not in the game as the H back? Y is Njoku not being utilized more? Y is Berrios not used like Switzer? Y is Coley not going deep? Y are we not running come back routes with Richards? Y are we not setting up more delayed screens? Why are we not pitching and catching like we did against App St?

We don't have a Bama roster, or Clemson, FSU, A&M...but we have way more than enough. Richt is inheriting a very talented roster. Either you trust Kaaya and let him rip, or sit his butt on the bench. This vanilla crap gotta go; the middle of the field is wide open, yet we don't take advantage of it. Our TEs against any LB is wide open, not taking advantage.

If you're the OC and QB coach (by default), teach ur QB to find the mismatch. Teach him to call the hot read on a blitz. Teach him how to manipulate the safety, and to scan the entire field within 4 seconds. Teach him how to quick release...how to pump and go. He needs his own study hall. Imo, Richt and Richt have gravely mishandled Kaaya...he went from top 10 to not mentioned at all. I thought Golden killed careers, but Kaaya has no other choice but to come back now; there's not a team who'll draft him after this season.

Advertisement
If we were losing close games and guys were playing their hearts out and the other team was just better that would be one thing.

We're losing because the offensive scheme and play calling is an absolute abortion. We should be 6-0 right now.

This is a fact. We should be 6-0 yet we have made two extremely poor defensive teams look like world beaters. The thing is, & this is the elephant in the room that no one is talking about; they have 0 respect for Kaaya's ability as a passer. If Kaaya is supposed to be a Franchise QB, he should avg. 350/3 every game as a minimum, just based upon how defenses are playing us. GT, FSU, and UNC have put 8 in the box, daring us to pass it, and it's working...FOR THEM. Y is Herndon not in the game as the H back? Y is Njoku not being utilized more? Y is Berrios not used like Switzer? Y is Coley not going deep? Y are we not running come back routes with Richards? Y are we not setting up more delayed screens? Why are we not pitching and catching like we did against App St?

We don't have a Bama roster, or Clemson, FSU, A&M...but we have way more than enough. Richt is inheriting a very talented roster. Either you trust Kaaya and let him rip, or sit his butt on the bench. This vanilla crap gotta go; the middle of the field is wide open, yet we don't take advantage of it. Our TEs against any LB is wide open, not taking advantage.

If you're the OC and QB coach (by default), teach ur QB to find the mismatch. Teach him to call the hot read on a blitz. Teach him how to manipulate the safety, and to scan the entire field within 4 seconds. Teach him how to quick release...how to pump and go. He needs his own study hall. Imo, Richt and Richt have gravely mishandled Kaaya...he went from top 10 to not mentioned at all. I thought Golden killed careers, but Kaaya has no other choice but to come back now; there's not a team who'll draft him after this season.

Kaaya might have to come out just to escape the system he's in now. He can't survive another year of this.

Everyone is saying we have the talent to be 6-0, but I have seen a lot of dropped passes by our talent.

Everyone is saying the play calling sucks, but I think it is more execution than bad calling. To many times I see wide open receivers and TE's that get looked past. Kaaya needs to perform better, Oline needs to perform better, and receivers and TE need to catch the **** ball.

So, you can say I'm in coma, stupid, or whatever, but I'm giving Richt the benefit of the doubt for now. We may have talent, but not the talent for his system. Anyone that's looking for something special in year one of a new coach is more in a coma than the Richt fans. Even the great Nick Saban did a **** show his first year at Alabama. I say give the guy a break and let's see what improvements happen throughout the year and give the guy some time to implement his vision. If it doesn't work then get rid of him, but what's another 6 games when we have been waiting 15 years.

Advertisement
I like coach and I like what he's doing recruiting wise but he needs to hire an OC from a program with an exciting offense and dynamic offense like Washington or Louisville.

Everyone is saying we have the talent to be 6-0, but I have seen a lot of dropped passes by our talent.

Everyone is saying the play calling sucks, but I think it is more execution than bad calling. To many times I see wide open receivers and TE's that get looked past. Kaaya needs to perform better, Oline needs to perform better, and receivers and TE need to catch the **** ball.

So, you can say I'm in coma, stupid, or whatever, but I'm giving Richt the benefit of the doubt for now. We may have talent, but not the talent for his system. Anyone that's looking for something special in year one of a new coach is more in a coma than the Richt fans. Even the great Nick Saban did a **** show his first year at Alabama. I say give the guy a break and let's see what improvements happen throughout the year and give the guy some time to implement his vision. If it doesn't work then get rid of him, but what's another 6 games when we have been waiting 15 years.

I agree w what u r saying, however, should a dropped ball on 1st down kill an entire drive? Should a sack on 1st down, or a penalty on 1st down, wipe out the entire drive? Yes, Kaaya DEFINITELY has to play better and the receivers have to catch the ball...and Lord knows our Oline better improve next year...but what does that have to do with horrible play calling?

That has nothing to do w my Canes only avg 14.5 points in the last 2 games against two ATROCIOUS defenses. That has nothing to do w drives continue to stall once we drive into the opponent's 35 yard line b/c that RPO ish ain't working. That's what most fans are tired of seeing. Again, I totally agree w your points; they are spot on, but let's not absolve Richt of any blame here. His job is to coach em up, have them mentally prepared and right now, I don't see any of that. I'm hoping ur right; and I thought about Saban too; the difference is Saban inherited a crap roster...Richt hasn't.

So fire him?

never would have hired him. I mean we hired a guy who got fired from a program that objectively speaking hasn't won anything since 1980. We have won 5 titles since UGA was actually elite. And we basically rolled out the red carpet for the guy that wasnt good enough for them?? it makes us look like we have given up trying to be elite, like we accept we will no longer be what we were.

bro i'm tired of this **** narrative

UGA was a ***ing 6-6 7-5 program before richt got there and had them running for the national championship in his SECOND ***ING SEASON

he OVERachieved at the dawg sh*t program and spoiled that now delusional fan base

btw, uga just lost to vanderbuilt.. that's uga

Richt is 6 games in and many are calling for his head already. That's well short of what I think a new coach should deserve. I think you have to give a coach 2-3 years. Gives him time to get his recruits in and get the veterans up to speed on what he is trying to do with the system.
Like Strong at Texas, I think it is just about time for him to go.

How much time would you give a new coach?

Mark can stay; his son must go and we need a real OC. Defense turned around already -- sure it will get better but it is night and day already. Mark needs to show same on O or find a Kool and Manny type for the O.

Advertisement

I agree w what u r saying, however, should a dropped ball on 1st down kill an entire drive? Should a sack on 1st down, or a penalty on 1st down, wipe out the entire drive? Yes, Kaaya DEFINITELY has to play better and the receivers have to catch the ball...and Lord knows our Oline better improve next year...but what does that have to do with horrible play calling?

That has nothing to do w my Canes only avg 14.5 points in the last 2 games against two ATROCIOUS defenses. That has nothing to do w drives continue to stall once we drive into the opponent's 35 yard line b/c that RPO ish ain't working. That's what most fans are tired of seeing. Again, I totally agree w your points; they are spot on, but let's not absolve Richt of any blame here. His job is to coach em up, have them mentally prepared and right now, I don't see any of that. I'm hoping ur right; and I thought about Saban too; the difference is Saban inherited a crap roster...Richt hasn't.
How do we know if it is horrible play calling if our player won't catch the ball? We left a lot of yards and points on the field from lack of execution. Even the best play calls will look bad if you can't execute.

Advertisement
I never thought it would ever be more disheartening to be a Miami Hurricane fan than after 2014 when Golden went 6-7 and kept his job. It would be another long winter, spring and summer with no hope. But you just knew that he couldn't hold on forever and once fall came and he continued to suck the admin would ultimately have no choice but to pull the plug.

I'm more disheartened now than I was then. There's no silver lining. As you said, they gave Richt complete control. He can do whatever he wants with no consequences. At Georgia, it took him FOUR YEARS to fire Willie Martinez as his DC despite the fact that it was obvious in year one he couldn't get the job done.

The only person who can hold Mark Richt accountable is himself. Let's hope that he somehow has a moment of clarity, sees that he's overmatched and swallows his pride and brings in an independent offensive coordinator. Because if he doesn't, this is going to be, and I can't believe I'm saying this after what we've been through, if he does not make any changes, this is going to be the worst period of football in Miami Hurricane history.

Fly the ******* banner

Advertisement
Back