How long did it take you to realize that Golden sucked?

Louisville game last year, I was part of that group that wait and see, am still a believer in that college coaches need to be given 3 full years of recruiting to gauge their ability to succeed here or at any school. Holy crap was I wrong on this man, though glad to admit and see what we have in place, appears night and day.

The most important aspect of what is taking place is that the University is finally opening up it's wallets, as long as they do that we will be able to attract quality coaches, and with the talent at their disposal be perennially successful to elite, which is all I ask as a realist. As an eternal optimist contending for the title every year

Advertisement
LOL, most fans were on his nut sack from jump and well into 2014 as well. Why you are starting this thread now makes no sense. He is gone.

There were less than a handful on this board that called this horrendous hire.

He started it so he could say he knew all along....guy has some real talent. I think OP should lead our recruiting too.
This OP recently started 2 other threads that are really just recycling water under the bridge on things we should've moved on from. I mean really, we have Richt touching down in hostile territory trying to flip recruits from places like LSU and Donk Ryder Dugans rolling old school to close strong, and over the past week OP has started such well-timed threads about when we knew Folden sucked, why did Richt get canned at UGA & what would Folden have done if he had the 2001 team. Please don't recommend OP go to the Recruiting Board... He'll start a thread about how many more wins would Folden have if Amari Cooper and Denver Kirkland chose the U.

Listen what he did at Temple was flat out amazing. He set that program up for the continued success they are having. So to say that is anything less then amazing is not reasonable. Golden will always succeed at that level because the things he does fit that level. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he goes to a school of the Marshall , Memphis ect level and wins 10 games a year as that is where he thrives. On the elite level he has no chance . To be honest if you gave up on him though after the ND game that is sad though as that wasn't enough time to judgde anyone . It is essential to give any coach in college football 3 full years before really judging them and if the program is in the gutters ( which we were when Butch took over ) 5 years is warranted.

He won't. He never won ten wins at Temple. He never beat anyone that finished ranked. He didn't do it here either which is a big indictment on his coaching ability. Random probability says he should have beaten someone. He's doing something wrong. He can beat poorly organized and poorly coached teams but that's it.

Advertisement
I was always skeptical.

He was 1-1 vs. Villanova in 2009 & 2010, and got lucky in the win. That was a red flag. Then when he couldn't even get the team lined up without a penalty against Maryland it was a red flag, especially when his calling card was "preparation", and it was clear he didn't even know the rules.

But all our losses in 2011 in were less than 7 points, so we were in every game and there was hope.

But I agree with most - by end of 2013 he had the lost the benefit of any doubt.

Advertisement
No more Golden threads!

Best post in a while!

Can we start beewking down position units and other topics that matter? The previous leadership team is gone. Best of luck to them, but serves no productive purpose to dwell on years gone by.

The market will speak for all of them as to weather or not the lack of success at Miami was predictive or an anamoly in their professional journeys.

Advertisement
In the Duke 2013 game, it was evident the team quit on Golden, but the Virginia and Pitt wins seemed to run contrary to that...L'ville in Orlando sealed the deal:

Golden-Al-1987-1987-Red-Bank-Catholic-School-Yearbook-Coach-Al-Golden-268x394-jpg.jpg

i wanted to give him the benefit of any doubt but the bowl game against UL was the signal that he was not the right man for this job. Should have been let go then and certainly should have been let go a year plus ago.

Advertisement
Dammit mane... I questioned his coaching ability in 2012 and got torched for it... Just plain out sad how dumb some ppl can be.

West End Zone

Same here- I got brutally *** raped for suggesting he might not be the right man for the job in 2012 on the Scout and Rivals board. I've never posted on Scout and Rivals again after they all blasted me and said they loved Golden- it's really hard to forgive posters for the way they treated me then. Either this website was much less pro-Golden than Scout and Rivals is, or people are lying on this thread about how quickly they lost confidence in him.

I knew from game 1, just didnt want to admit it. Then the *** kicking FSU gave us and the way they he just straight up ran Duke into the ground late in that game was truly the end for me. Didn't help that they followed up that game with 3 straight embarrassing loses to end the season either.

Advertisement
Back