How long did it take you to realize that Golden sucked?

Orangebowl

Redshirt Freshman
As soon as he was hired, I was rather suspicious of his resume. He got so much credit for turning around Temple but still had a losing record there. Furthermore, all the improvement he got credit for there probably just stemmed from the fact that they were moving from the Big East (which we, Va Tech and BC were members of at the time) to the MAC. I will always remember how after the 41-3 loss to Notre Dame in 2012 I went on the Scout and Rivals sites to question if people thought Golden was the right guy to coach Miami. Everybody got mad at me for asking that question and some people even accused me of being a secret FSU fan. Even when we were 7-0 in 2013 I never thought Golden was a good coach. Everybody without ridiculously huge Hurricane glasses on knew at the time that that was the least impressive 7-0 start a team's ever had. I remember believing it was a miracle when we were only down by 7 at halftime vs FSU in game 8. I was wondering if Golden should have been fired after the 2-4 end to the year in 2013. I thought it was unbelievably absurd that he wasn't fired after 2014. What about you?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The second half of 2013. I always tried to look for positives, but every step forward came with 7 backwards.

Advertisement
I knew Golden didn't have the best talent or culture to work with when he first got here, but the final nail in the coffin for me was the 2014 Nebraska game. Nebraska at one point ran the ball something like 14 plays in a row and they would constantly get 4-7 yards a carry. His dline ribbit frog stance, bend but don't break nonsense was inexcusable. Nebraska's passing game was horrible. Common sense would have been to do everything to stop the run game to make Nebraska beat you by passing the ball. That game was an absolute coaching disaster.

LOL, most fans were on his nut sack from jump and well into 2014 as well. Why you are starting this thread now makes no sense. He is gone.

There were less than a handful on this board that called this horrendous hire.

In 2012, after he put up the 118th ranked defense (I believe)....the worst in the history of the program. And made zero changes to his staff and scheme.

Listen what he did at Temple was flat out amazing. He set that program up for the continued success they are having. So to say that is anything less then amazing is not reasonable. Golden will always succeed at that level because the things he does fit that level. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he goes to a school of the Marshall , Memphis ect level and wins 10 games a year as that is where he thrives. On the elite level he has no chance . To be honest if you gave up on him though after the ND game that is sad though as that wasn't enough time to judgde anyone . It is essential to give any coach in college football 3 full years before really judging them and if the program is in the gutters ( which we were when Butch took over ) 5 years is warranted.

But to answer the question I was really impressed with how he handled the scandal ( how couldn't you be?) but his last 2 years he woefully unperformed . SO if there was a moment it had to of been when we lost to FSU 2 years ago after leading the whole game. A good coach wins that game. He should of been fired after that year but it worked out in our benefit as we wouldn't of gotten Richt , a coach I never would of dreamed we could get.

Advertisement
^^ one of the best troll attempts I've seen in a long time. Almost is believable that someone could be that dumb, but just not quite.

Advertisement
I had wanted golden gone since he went off the grid in January 2014 when he desperately pursued the penn state job. I remember people calling golden out after we won against wake forest and was 7-0 saying the defense was a mirage and all of that and the team wasn't that good. I'm glad he is gone and I'm glad we fired him later than sooner jumping the gun... Who knows who we would have gotten stuck with if they fired him after last year. Glad we got coach richt

Advertisement
The second half of 2013. I always tried to look for positives, but every step forward came with 7 backwards.

This, took my dumbass just as long. Funny thing the way this board tells it though, now most are saying they had it figured out after Maryland. Reality most were on his nuts aside a select few led by Nites. People were on Golden's nuts so hard they ran him off and all along he was right. Like you I wanted to stay positive because I felt that we didn't have the horses but 2013 was unexceptably bad.

Advertisement
Back