How is Njoku not a Unanimous !st Round Pick?

I think he made a wrong decision, not necessarily a bad one. IMO Njoku doesn't have the catch everything hands, is very stiff, stays high and is a very average route runner. Not a committed blocker and can't adjust to poorly thrown balls. Not sure how much staying would change that and if the OC will include more route options not currently being ran, but he needs work.

Advertisement
It continues to amaze me that his "hands" continue to be questioned. He maybe had 3 or 4 drops all season. And none that I can remember in the last 5 games.

Advertisement
While I hope he gets paid, selfishly, I wouldn't mind seeing him drop to the 3rd round and end up with the Giants.

How are you still surprised by the way they disrespect this U is the real question...it's been going on for three full decades

What are you talking about? How is Miami getting disrespected with tight ends in the NFL draft? Let's see, here is the list of tight ends drafted from Miami since 2000 with their round:

Walford #2
Graham #3
Gordon #6
Epps #7
Olsen #1
Everett #3
Winslow #1
Shockey #1
Franks #1

Last edited:
Njoku will be just fine and will be a very good pro in the right system. NFL takes maybe one tight end per year in the first round. Last guy to go #1 was Ebron. So it just depends on what they value and need in their system. If you value a more complete tight end, then a kid like OJ Howard goes above him. I'm not sure how Njoku can survive if he goes in the 2nd like Gronkowski did when he came out of Arizona.:peaceful:

Advertisement
Njoku will be just fine and will be a very good pro in the right system. NFL takes maybe one tight end per year in the first round. Last guy to go #1 was Ebron. So it just depends on what they value and need in their system. If you value a more complete tight end, then a kid like OJ Howard goes above him. I'm not sure how Njoku can survive if he goes in the 2nd like Gronkowski did when he came out of Arizona.:peaceful:

I think the notion that Oj Howard is a complete tight end is stupid. I think people value blocking over pass catching and he's the best blocker. I'd say as a pass catcher he's average. In terms of completeness I'd say they're about equal. While Njoku may be an average blocker he's an elite pass catcher.

Njoku will be drafted later than his talent dictates for the same reason Kaaya will be drafted earlier than his talent dictates: Position value. The NFL doesn't put a premium on TEs like they do on QB LT or even WR. Not to mention, his value fluctuates depending on which team drafts him. He could be dynamic in a pass heavy offense like Green Bay or New Orleans but average on a team that doesn't have a great quarterback. He's going to have to prove his hands at the combine. He tends to try to make a move upfield before securing the ball. He did it twice against Pitt on RPO bubbles and once against Duke so it wasn't just an early season thing.

I think the notion that Oj Howard is a complete tight end is stupid. I think people value blocking over pass catching and he's the best blocker. I'd say as a pass catcher he's average. In terms of completeness I'd say they're about equal. While Njoku may be an average blocker he's an elite pass catcher.

Again, it depends on what you value the most in your system. Howard is a pure tight end. Njoku is more of an H-back. Right now most draft projections have Howard going late first round and Njoku going in the middle of the second round. Both will be very good pros.

Advertisement
He is a Top 40 pick right now...before the combine and pro day workouts...before real evaluators actually watch anybody...once you get the guys involved in the scouting process, its a wrap...first round player. Teams at the bottom are going to see him as a legit weapon...teams at the top of the first round are going to try and trade up for a difference maker like him.

While a team like the Patriots is being mocked a RB, LB, or DL...I could see them making the savvy move and getting a weapon like Njoku.

I don't see Njoku as an H-Back at all. Herndon-yes, Njoku is a flex TE (Greg O)

I hear ya. Herndon is a true H-back in our offense. For Njoku at the next level, I was thinking more of an offset or motion guy trying to get him in space where he becomes a huge mismatch. Okay, I should have said Joker or U tight end. He's more of an Aaron Hernandez (sorry) or Jimmy Graham than Greg Olsen. Olsen is the best all-around tight end in the league in my opinion. He is a very good blocker and excellent receiver.

Kelce, Olsen, and Graham.
Olsen was a 1st round pick.
Graham was traded for a 1st round pick.

If you don't think TE's are worth 1st round picks you're trippin. If all your saying is they aren't worth top10 picks, you're basically right, unless there's an absolute stud coming out. You don't think a team would draft Gronk or Kelce in the 1st round in a redraft? - Because they would.

Re-read my comment. I said tight end is not a premium position or viewed as one compared to the other positions when it comes to the draft.

Premium position or not it really doesn't matter. The only truly premium positions are Pass rushers and QB.

Disagree on that as well. Look at the contracts and how much elite OTs, CBs and DTs make. These guys impact every down. They get drafted high and are paid the most bc they are the most critical and most difficult to find.

I'm not going to go through the efffort of looking at the salaries by position, But I can guarantee you QB is by far the most. Pass Rusher would be 2nd with CB being 3rd and LT, DT, and WR being all 4th.

If I were to tier it it'd go:
1. QB
2a. Pass Rusher 2b. CB
3. LT, DT, and WR
4. TE, G, LB, and S
5. RB, C, RT

But just because you're in that 4th - 5th category doesn't mean you can't be a premium player. It may not be a premium position, but it doesn't matter if you are elite at it. Thats why Adams and Hooker are going to be likely top 10 (definitely top 15) pick. It's why Fournette is going top 10 (and Dalvin is good enough too also). Its why Foster is going to go top 10. And it's why ultimately OJ Howard will end up a top 15 pick, because of his skill set. Premium position or not.

Absolutely agree with the last comment. All i meant in response to your original was TE wasn't viewed as premium by most teams (or actions of most teams) while other positions were. Elite is elite no matter what position you play. But if there is a raw athletic freak without the consistent production, or a guy with great stats but questionable physical numbers, he stands a better chance of teams taking a flyer on him if he plays a premium position that is valued. It's why TEs and RBs get killed in 1st round grades......there's just so many serviceable ones out there and teams have proven time after time they can be found in Days 2 and 3. This year will be VERY interesting to see how teams value all the stud RBs like Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey as well Njoku and OJ Howard.

Advertisement
I have him as a second rounder personally since he's pretty much a flex TE or H-Back. His major flaw is his blocking, he really cant add much size to his frame without most likely losing some of his athleticism and speed. He'll be best suited to a team who likes to flex their TE, Seattle or New England.

Re-read my comment. I said tight end is not a premium position or viewed as one compared to the other positions when it comes to the draft.

Premium position or not it really doesn't matter. The only truly premium positions are Pass rushers and QB.

Disagree on that as well. Look at the contracts and how much elite OTs, CBs and DTs make. These guys impact every down. They get drafted high and are paid the most bc they are the most critical and most difficult to find.

I'm not going to go through the efffort of looking at the salaries by position, But I can guarantee you QB is by far the most. Pass Rusher would be 2nd with CB being 3rd and LT, DT, and WR being all 4th.

If I were to tier it it'd go:
1. QB
2a. Pass Rusher 2b. CB
3. LT, DT, and WR
4. TE, G, LB, and S
5. RB, C, RT

But just because you're in that 4th - 5th category doesn't mean you can't be a premium player. It may not be a premium position, but it doesn't matter if you are elite at it. Thats why Adams and Hooker are going to be likely top 10 (definitely top 15) pick. It's why Fournette is going top 10 (and Dalvin is good enough too also). Its why Foster is going to go top 10. And it's why ultimately OJ Howard will end up a top 15 pick, because of his skill set. Premium position or not.

Absolutely agree with the last comment. All i meant in response to your original was TE wasn't viewed as premium by most teams (or actions of most teams) while other positions were. Elite is elite no matter what position you play. But if there is a raw athletic freak without the consistent production, or a guy with great stats but questionable physical numbers, he stands a better chance of teams taking a flyer on him if he plays a premium position that is valued. It's why TEs and RBs get killed in 1st round grades......there's just so many serviceable ones out there and teams have proven time after time they can be found in Days 2 and 3. This year will be VERY interesting to see how teams value all the stud RBs like Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey as well Njoku and OJ Howard.

Yeah, I think Fournette will be a top 10 pick. Cook will be a pick in the teens. McCaffrey is going to be a 2nd rounder. and Njoku will end up a pick in the late 20s-30s.

I think the most interesting pick is Joe Mixon. If he didn't have the domestic violence he'd be a 1st rounder, even in this class. Because theres going to be teams that completely take him off their board, like the Raiders. And there will be teams that a extremely happy he's going to fall to the 3rd round, like the Chiefs. I swear if the Chiefs get Mixon im going to be ****ed.
Also willing to bet

1. Because many players declare and all the agents tell these kids you're a 1st rounder turning the inventory to about 45 guys that could go in the 1st. Njoku falls in that category.
2. Many NFL teams draft for needs/holes.
3. TE in the 1st rd is a luxury pick for 90% or greater.

Looking at other UM TE's taken in the 1st round Njoku compares favorably

His Average Per Catch exceeds the others & he created most of those yards on his own

00-01 Shockey 61 catches 815 yds. 13.4 APC 10 TD's
01-03 Winslow 119 catches 1365 yds. 11.5 APC 9 TD's
04-06 Olsen 87 catches 1215 yds. 14 APC 6 TD's
15-16 Njoku 64 catches 1060 yds. 16.6 APC 9 TD's

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back