How is Njoku not a Unanimous !st Round Pick?

I think its most likely Njoku is a 2nd rounder, and the 2nd tight end off the board after OJ Howard.
Though I could see a team like the Patriots using a 1st on him and just completely balling out with him and Gronk.

Advertisement
I think its most likely Njoku is a 2nd rounder, and the 2nd tight end off the board after OJ Howard.
Though I could see a team like the Patriots using a 1st on him and just completely balling out with him and Gronk.

Or replacing him at this rate. Back surgery is no joke.

If he doesn't go in the 1st round, it's because he's still mostly proven to be an edge player with some inconsistency catching passes. He's not exactly known for his inline blocking or physicality. Luckily for him, after what are probably an insane combine and pro days, he may get a team who simply doesnt care and falls in love with him as an athletic, downfield TE.

Great TE draft, at least at the top. He'll still go in the first round, but I wouldn't sleep on Leggett or Howard at the next level either.

Advertisement
This from Matt Miller, who has Njoku as his 46 overall player and 2nd TE. I really like his evaluations:

From today
[TWEET]819701692082122753[/TWEET]
[TWEET]819704391066419200[/TWEET]
[TWEET]819705373145911296[/TWEET]

[TWEET]819686393454661633[/TWEET]

Looking at other UM TE's taken in the 1st round Njoku compares favorably

His Average Per Catch exceeds the others & he created most of those yards on his own

00-01 Shockey 61 catches 815 yds. 13.4 APC 10 TD's
01-03 Winslow 119 catches 1365 yds. 11.5 APC 9 TD's
04-06 Olsen 87 catches 1215 yds. 14 APC 6 TD's
15-16 Njoku 64 catches 1060 yds. 16.6 APC 9 TD's

Because how good one's stats are doesn't equate where one is drafted.....

Or replacing him at this rate. Back surgery is no joke.

One back surgery is no joke....i can tell you all about it. But this was his 3rd already. The rate at which the discs degenerate and how the rest of the back compensates for this newest injury will dictate how much longer he plays, if at all.

TE is well down the list of in-demand positions. A lot of teams are using jumbo packages that don't even have a TE on the field. A 1st rounder has to be on the field for every play. There are several years in which no TE is taken the first day.

What?

Firstly you're looking for impact players in the 1st round. They don't have to be on the field every down, but you want to notice when they're there.

Secondly, TE is still a premium position. If you have a mismatch there DCs lose sleep. Njoku is a mismatch for anyone in the NFL.

When it's all said and done he'll be a first rounder, he's too athletic and productive to overlook.

I disagree. QB is a premium position. DE/rush OLB are premium positions. CB, LT, DT. These are the guys drafted #1 overall and top 10. Not TE's.

Only 3 of the top 40 receivers (in yardage) were TE's.....Kelce (12), Olsen (16) and Graham (33).
Cameron Brate lead all TEs in touchdowns. Brate is a 2nd year undrafted tight end from Harvard.
Dennis Pitta lead all TEs in catches. Pitta was drafted in the 4th round.
Travis Kelce lead all TE's in 1st downs and YAC. Kelce was drafted in the 3rd round.

Tight ends are chain movers and they can definitely elevate offenses like in NE, KC and SD, but they can also be found throughout the draft and are not premium when compared to other positions that impact the game in bigger ways. There are occasional TEs that become elite and change a franchise, but the history of the position has not driven the value to the point where many are drafted high.

Advertisement
This from Matt Miller, who has Njoku as his 46 overall player and 2nd TE. I really like his evaluations:

From today
[TWEET]819701692082122753[/TWEET]
[TWEET]819704391066419200[/TWEET]
[TWEET]819705373145911296[/TWEET]

[TWEET]819686393454661633[/TWEET]

Tom Brady to Njoku....Touchdown Patriots!!!!

Hands, blocking, and strength are areas he needs to work on. I see him as a number 2 TE, generally split out and used as an H-back.

My hope for Njoku is to end up at a team with a solid offense but looking for the added feature of a dynamic, big-WR/TE. I would have to look at the TE rosters for teams in this years playoffs, or playoff contenders for 2017. I would love to see him in Tampa. I doubt the Bucs would draft him since Cameron Brate is very good, and the Bucs have more pressing needs on the OL, DE, and DBs.

I also hope Njoku does not end up in Cleveland, Buffalo, the Jets, or some other dumpster fire.

TE is well down the list of in-demand positions. A lot of teams are using jumbo packages that don't even have a TE on the field. A 1st rounder has to be on the field for every play. There are several years in which no TE is taken the first day.

What?

Firstly you're looking for impact players in the 1st round. They don't have to be on the field every down, but you want to notice when they're there.

Secondly, TE is still a premium position. If you have a mismatch there DCs lose sleep. Njoku is a mismatch for anyone in the NFL.

When it's all said and done he'll be a first rounder, he's too athletic and productive to overlook.

I disagree. QB is a premium position. DE/rush OLB are premium positions. CB, LT, DT. These are the guys drafted #1 overall and top 10. Not TE's.

Only 3 of the top 40 receivers (in yardage) were TE's.....Kelce (12), Olsen (16) and Graham (33).
Cameron Brate lead all TEs in touchdowns. Brate is a 2nd year undrafted tight end from Harvard.
Travis Kelce lead all TE's in 1st downs and YAC. Kelce was drafted in the 3rd round.

Tight ends are chain movers and they can definitely elevate offenses like in NE, KC and SD, but they can also be found throughout the draft and are not premium when compared to other positions that impact the game in bigger ways. There are occasional TEs that become elite and change a franchise, but the history of the position has not driven the value to the point where many are drafted high.

Kelce, Olsen, and Graham.
Olsen was a 1st round pick.
Graham was traded for a 1st round pick.

If you don't think TE's are worth 1st round picks you're trippin. If all your saying is they aren't worth top10 picks, you're basically right, unless there's an absolute stud coming out. You don't think a team would draft Gronk or Kelce in the 1st round in a redraft? - Because they would.

Advertisement

What?

If you don't think TE's are worth 1st round picks you're trippin. If all your saying is they aren't worth top10 picks, you're basically right, unless there's an absolute stud coming out. You don't think a team would draft Gronk or Kelce in the 1st round in a redraft? - Because they would.

Re-read my comment. I said tight end is not a premium position or viewed as one compared to the other positions when it comes to the draft.

What?

Re-read my comment. I said tight end is not a premium position or viewed as one compared to the other positions when it comes to the draft.

Premium position or not it really doesn't matter. The only truly premium positions are Pass rushers and QB.

Great TE draft, at least at the top. He'll still go in the first round, but I wouldn't sleep on Leggett or Howard at the next level either.

Not merely at the top. Fantastic tight end group, the best in many years. That alone could make teams patient in the early going. The tight end from Toledo, for example, has a tremendous frame and great athletic ability but he's generally rated 9th or 10th in this crop.

Tight ends don't go particularly early. You have to be ultra special and Njoku carries some question marks. He has been compared to Eric Ebron, who has had drop issues in the NFL and also doesn't help in run blocking. The Lions are a one dimensional team, partially due to Ebron's style of play.

I think Njoku is more agile and special than Ebron. But he won't go nearly as high. There was a buzz around Ebron. Everyone viewed him as a freak athlete who would create huge plays down the seam repeatedly. A few years later, given some of Ebron's weaknesses in the NFL, league consensus has shifted and now they prefer a larger frame and someone who can box out and fight in traffic. You don't get away with being a gazelle only at that position.

Advertisement
What?

Premium position or not it really doesn't matter. The only truly premium positions are Pass rushers and QB.

Disagree on that as well. Look at the contracts and how much elite OTs, CBs and DTs make. These guys impact every down. They get drafted high and are paid the most bc they are the most critical and most difficult to find.

He simply needs to work on his concentration. He has all the physical tools and most of the time is very productive. Had he not had some of the drops his numbers would be far better and this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Disagree on that as well. Look at the contracts and how much elite OTs, CBs and DTs make. These guys impact every down. They get drafted high and are paid the most bc they are the most critical and most difficult to find.

I'm not going to go through the efffort of looking at the salaries by position, But I can guarantee you QB is by far the most. Pass Rusher would be 2nd with CB being 3rd and LT, DT, and WR being all 4th.

If I were to tier it it'd go:
1. QB
2a. Pass Rusher 2b. CB
3. LT, DT, and WR
4. TE, G, LB, and S
5. RB, C, RT

But just because you're in that 4th - 5th category doesn't mean you can't be a premium player. It may not be a premium position, but it doesn't matter if you are elite at it. Thats why Adams and Hooker are going to be likely top 10 (definitely top 15) pick. It's why Fournette is going top 10 (and Dalvin is good enough too also). Its why Foster is going to go top 10. And it's why ultimately OJ Howard will end up a top 15 pick, because of his skill set. Premium position or not.

Advertisement
Back