How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

Advertisement
It's just one game.. it happens to every team. Turning the ball over 5 times in your own territory is putting your defense in a terrible position. We constantly had to ask the defense to bail us out. Honestly that defense didn't have the talent to be a top 20 unit and they still played a great season. Our fan base expected to elite unit last season when there wasn't one elite talent on that defense outside of Rousseau playing his first season ever as a DE. Pickney,Hill,Finley, Bethel and Bandy all were not drafted. Shaq was a 4th Rounder and Garvin was a 6th.
Hey mack, elite talent isn't essential for an elite defense! Ask wisconsin, michigan!...etc

Part of the fewer sacks could also be because of a down year from Garvin and that seemed more effort related rather than scheme.
Garvin actually had about the same amount sacks as he did in 2018. And go look at garvin numbers from the mid point of 2018 through last year. He was just average at best

Advertisement
The way Baker called games reminded me of Manny’s first season as DC here. Yeah he did some things alright but he got cute way too often and relied too much on blitzing. I get it, it’s a pressure defense and it will be a live by the sword/die by the sword type of deal but you don’t always need to outdo the opponent with exotic looks and crazy blitzes. Especially when you’ve got D line talent like Miami has. It’s the kind of calls you need to make as the DC at Louisiana Tech because you’re not often just going to beat the other guy head to head but at Miami, you don’t need to overscheme. There was a notable change mid season when Manny got more “hands on”. I like the scheme, I just don’t think Baker needs to overthink it so much. It’s ok to rush 4 and play coverage on third and long. An incomplete is just as affective as a sack in that situation

Last edited:
You can criticize Baker, but the reality is that the defense was still good enough to win at least 9, and likely 10+ games.

Since Manny has been here, we've yet to have an offense that didn't under-perform. This defense will look even better when we have an offense that doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't go 3-and-out as often as we have, and can score on par with at least an average statistical offense.

Advertisement
You can criticize Baker, but the reality is that the defense was still good enough to win at least 9, and likely 10+ games.

Since Manny has been here, we've yet to have an offense that didn't under-perform. This defense will look even better when we have an offense that doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't go 3-and-out as often as we have, and can score on par with at least an average statistical offense.
Honestly, the only game that I could say the defense was BAD was Lousiville and it didn't matter because Jarren Williams was sober enough to toss 6 touchdowns.

Advertisement
I think the defense overall was solid. But the problem was situational defense was bad. We weren’t good on 3rd down and we couldn’t get stops when we needed to. Also his constant blitzing is predictable, annoying, and ineffective.

Advertisement
Fear and Respect...you gotta have a little of both or your players don't care what you say.

OP is like that dude on the block that’s always trying to start sht.

It’s funny as 37 responses later nobody has actually answered the original question as to how the players view Baker (unless you count the one comment made in jest about his beard being solid).

Instead and predictably it’s turned into a bash Baker fest.

Advertisement
Back