How is Blake Baker viewed among the players?

Mackmiller974

All ACC
I know a lot of the players hated Enos. Does anyone have any idea what they think of Baker? He had some ups and downs but overall did a solid job in his first season calling plays in the power 5. His defense ranked

13th in Total Yards
17th in Rushing
17th in passing
23rd in points
4th in Tackles for loss
6th in Sacks

I would say he did a solid job considering we had one of the worst Offenses in football and rarely played complimentary football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't believe it's "Baker's defense." Though maybe it was for a couple of games...
For better or worse, I think this is Manny's defense. And when your HC comes out and cuts your DC at the knees, it probably has an adverse impact on how that DC is perceived by the locker room.

Baker was sold off to us as an underling of Manny that supposedly continued Manny’s defense at LaTech after Diaz left. Even if he runs the same 4-2-5 as Manny and is familiar with Manny’s approach, he calls a different game. This year felt like it started out with way less sacks, TFL, and turnovers. Also felt like the players played harder for Manny compared to Blake. Baker sending DE’s to cover the flat feels like it went against everything Manny did in 2017.

Baker was sold off to us as an underling of Manny that supposedly continued Manny’s defense at LaTech after Diaz left. Even if he runs the same 4-2-5 as Manny and is familiar with Manny’s approach, he calls a different game. This year felt like it started out with way less sacks, TFL, and turnovers. Also felt like the players played harder for Manny compared to Blake. Baker sending DE’s to cover the flat feels like it went against everything Manny did in 2017.
Part of the fewer sacks could also be because of a down year from Garvin and that seemed more effort related rather than scheme.

Advertisement
I don't believe it's "Baker's defense." Though maybe it was for a couple of games...
For better or worse, I think this is Manny's defense. And when your HC comes out and cuts your DC at the knees, it probably has an adverse impact on how that DC is perceived by the locker room.
Diaz never called plays all season

Advertisement
Your point is?? Every team has down games. We turned the ball over 5 times in the first half. TEs were only open because our LBs failed to do there assignment.
Someone brought up run defense and I was pointing out that the VT game was more than run defense, we let a **** QB beat us.

Surprisingly we had 6 more sacks in 2019 then 2018

Someone brought up run defense and I was pointing out that the VT game was more than run defense, we let a **** QB beat us.
It's just one game.. it happens to every team. Turning the ball over 5 times in your own territory is putting your defense in a terrible position. We constantly had to ask the defense to bail us out. Honestly that defense didn't have the talent to be a top 20 unit and they still played a great season. Our fan base expected to elite unit last season when there wasn't one elite talent on that defense outside of Rousseau playing his first season ever as a DE. Pickney,Hill,Finley, Bethel and Bandy all were not drafted. Shaq was a 4th Rounder and Garvin was a 6th.

Advertisement
Back