How is Alex Collins not a 5-star recruit?

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
I was looking at his film again, and he's RIDICULOUS.

Scout has him listed as the 20th best RB.

If there are 19 better backs than him in the nation, the 2013 RB class must be legendary.

Advertisement
I will answer this one for the board.

Because he is a Miami commit. :mmkay:

FWIW ESPN has him as the 17th best Running Back and 200th Overall player.

Last edited:
On a side note:

ESPN has Olsen (#7th PP QB), Bryant(#13th DT), and Dobard (#3 TE-H) in the Top 150.

With Collins in the Top 300.

Kearse is a 4 Star (#52 Athlete) not in the Top 300 and Lewis (#83 RB) a 3 Star.

I'm gonna side with the scouts here and tell you to look up more film of other backs. I like Collins and he's a solid 4* but he's not the only talented back in the country. I do think he's the 2nd best back in the state (behind Kelvin Taylor) though.

I'm sorry, but there is no ******* way I'd take Kelvin Taylor over Alex Collins.

It's not even close.

And I'm not saying that because Collins is a Cane commit. His vision and feet are outrageous, and he's got that 5th gear.

Advertisement
Henry
Bryant
Taylor
Green

All ahead of Collins

Really

I'm hoping you can speak a little bit more matter-of-factly from now on. /rolleyes

I have Collins as the top overall RB in FL for this class due to a combination of his current state and clear potential. He is no longer the 180 pounds he is listed as. He is right around a natural 200 pounds and will easily carry close to 220 in college. He has the best feet of any RB I've seen in this class and has good, but not elite speed.

His strenghts are basically the things that will translate best to the college game, rather than simply gaining attention by being bigger or faster than his HS competition.

I really don't understand Greg Bryant's high rating. I don't think he is superior to Collins in any way. He doesn't have good feet (he consistently has to break down with choppy steps to change directions). To me bryant is solid yet unspectacular as a national recruit.

Green, Taylor, and Collins are top 3 in FL and 3 of the better RBs in the nation from what I've seen.

Henry is a beast that can succeed at RB, but may be best suited for defense. There comes a point where height becomes a detriment to RBs.

Who cares who is ranked ahead or behind. All I am concerned about is that he remains committed, signs, and comes in and tears it up. I could care less about where the star whores and HS experts have him listed, just my opinion

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but there is no ****ing way I'd take Kelvin Taylor over Alex Collins.

It's not even close.

And I'm not saying that because Collins is a Cane commit. His vision and feet are outrageous, and he's got that 5th gear.

Kelvin Taylor has a stronger, more powerful and more durable build, he's a much better receiver and he has better feet and vision. Taylor is my #3 back in this class (behind Ty Isaac and Tyren Jones).

Henry
Bryant
Taylor
Green

All ahead of Collins

Really

Henry - TE or OLB. He's already outgrown the RB position.
Bryant - all hype. Solid power back but he lacks burst and tries to dance too much.
Taylor - no disagreement there, he's special
Green - an argument could be made here but I personally prefer Collins. Green is a Reggie Bush style home run hitter but he needs a lot of space to operate. Collins has every-down potential because of his build and agility/cutting ability. He's a much safer bet to succeed. FSU wants both

Who cares who is ranked ahead or behind. All I am concerned about is that he remains committed, signs, and comes in and tears it up. I could care less about where the star whores and HS experts have him listed, just my opinion

You're right that the talent you get is all that matters but you can't say "player X deserves to be ranked higher" without actually scouting the other players.

I'm gonna side with the scouts here and tell you to look up more film of other backs. I like Collins and he's a solid 4* but he's not the only talented back in the country. I do think he's the 2nd best back in the state (behind Kelvin Taylor) though.

Taylor is really good but I take Collins there. JMO. Both should have huge seasons though so we will see.

I'm sorry, but there is no ****ing way I'd take Kelvin Taylor over Alex Collins.

It's not even close.

Kelvin Taylor has a stronger, more powerful and more durable build, he's a much better receiver and he has better feet and vision. Taylor is my #3 back in this class (behind Ty Isaac and Tyren Jones).

Henry
Bryant
Taylor
Green

All ahead of Collins

Really

Henry - TE or OLB. He's already outgrown the RB position.
Bryant - all hype. Solid power back but he lacks burst and tries to dance too much.
Taylor - no disagreement there, he's special
Green - an argument could be made here but I personally prefer Collins. Green is a Reggie Bush style home run hitter but he needs a lot of space to operate. Collins has every-down potential because of his build and agility/cutting ability. He's a much safer bet to succeed. FSU wants both

:eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes::eekeyes:

Advertisement

Well said of course. Collins worries me, so getting him in this class is huge. I don't care about Duke or Sony, you load up when you have elite running backs available.

Well said of course. Collins worries me, so getting him in this class is huge. I don't care about Duke or Sony, you load up when you have elite running backs available.

I agree can't wait on Sony, Yearby class. We are thin now as is. James, Clements, Crawford, Duke and Terry this year and then James graduates, Crawford, Duke and Terry have to career carries. UM needs backs. To have only two returners with college carries under their belt is awful. If we get a couple of injuries we are in huge trouble at RB. There is no reason a school located in SoFl shouldn't be loaded at RB.

Collins is the best back in the state.....and right now it seems that he's likely to decommit and verbal somewhere else. Not really worried, since recruiting doesn't get serious until the football season is over. Just keep building a relationship with the kid for now.

Advertisement

I agree can't wait on Sony, Yearby class. We are thin now as is. James, Clements, Crawford, Duke and Terry this year and then James graduates, Crawford, Duke and Terry have to career carries. UM needs backs. To have only two returners with college carries under their belt is awful. If we get a couple of injuries we are in huge trouble at RB. There is no reason a school located in SoFl shouldn't be loaded at RB.

Don't sleep on Dillard

Meant Dillard not Terry. Not sleeping on him just pointing out the lack of depth at a position that SoFl produces studs at on a yearly basis

Don't sleep on Dillard

Meant Dillard not Terry. Not sleeping on anyone. Just pointing out our lack of depth at a ipostion that SoFl produces studs at on a yearly basis.

What I like about guys like Sony and Collins is they look physically ready right now to step in and play. I still remember reading about how Collins doesnt lift weights yet but he is naturally 200lbs and strong. Mind boggling about the weight room but still, a physical freak. Sony is probably even more so since he was about 195 in 9th grade.

I feel you on the RB situation possibly being one short on the depth chart. But I have faith in Golden & Co. that they will once again pull the best class in terms of need with limited schollies. 2 RB's should fill the void. Then its Sony time!

Advertisement
Back