How I envision a 3-4 defensive front like Bama's looking at the U...

Again, the "D-line" side of the equation is a bit easier, if you go from 4 to 3, and you find the right NT, then you are pretty far along in the transition. But if you try to go from 3 LBs to 4 LBs, after a period of MASSIVE incompetence in the recruiting and development of the LBs, then you have a serious problem. And it isn't just fixed with moving James Williams up from S to LB, because because because he's tall. I've seen his family, they are all tall and skinny, so for guys to just sit here and project "yeah, he can add XX pounds" is really not a great way of making a position switch.

Also, the guy from USC will be here for a year, maybe two (he was in the 2017 USC signing class), and he has been injured for most of his career, so it's not like we are building our D-line around him. We could build around a future signee, maybe. He played well in 2021 but he didn't play much for the preceding 4 years:

2020: Lichtenstein opted out of the first 4 games of his sophomore season as a defensive lineman but returned to the team for the final 2 games of 2020, however he did not see any action.

2019: Lichtenstein sat out the 2019 season as a sophomore defensive lineman while recovering from a 2018 post-season knee injury. He had 2019 post-season surgery for a sports hernia. After the season, he was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA for medical reasons.

2018: Lichtenstein saw action in 11 games (all but Notre Dame) and started twice (Oregon State, California) on the defensive line as a redshirt freshman in 2018. Overall in 2018, he had 15 tackles, including 2 for losses of 4 yards, and a deflection. He hurt his shoulder at UCLA and missed the Notre Dame game. He had 3 tackles against UNLV, a tackle at Texas, 2 tackles (1 for a loss) against Arizona State, 6 tackles (1 for a loss) and a deflection against California and 3 tackles at UCLA. He had post-season knee cartilage surgery.

: Lichtenstein redshirted as a first-year freshman defensive lineman in 2017. He injured his left calf prior to the Stanford game and was sidelined for the next 2 games (Stanford, Texas).

I will be rooting for this kid, and if he performs like Jaelan did, it will be a great story. I just don't think we are quite ready for a full 3-4 conversion. You may be right about DLs, particularly if we get another transfer and/or Jeffrey M'ba from JuCo, but I am far less convinced that we are 3-4-ready at LB.
3 LBs to 4LBs?? Our DEs will be the OLBs.

Inside linebacker is the position we have been struggling to recruit and develop, that and olb are two totally different positions. We still will have 2ILBs on the field regardless of the scheme

Advertisement
How the University of Miami ever got into this type of Atrocious LBer evaluations, recruiting & development, for the better part of 15yrs is truly troubling, especially after 20+ yrs of dominating that position/s....

You're delusional man. Let me go through the top 10 scoring defenses for this season with you (and Bama).

1. UGA: Multiple 3-4 with Star position (Striker)
2. Clemson: Multiple 4-3
3. TAMU: 4-2-5 Base (5th DB is Nickel)
4. Mich: Multiple defense, appears to be in a 4-2-5 look for majority of their snaps (5th DB is Nickel).
4. Cinn: Multiple 3-3-5 (Nickel)
6. Wisc: 3-4 Base
7. Penn: 4-3 Base
7. OkSt: 4-2-5 Base with 3 Safeties (Striker by trait)
9. ND: Multiple 3-3-5 with Rover position (Striker)
9. Minn: 4-2-5 Base (Nickel)
18. Alabama: Multiple 3-4 with Star position (Striker)

So, of these 11 elite defenses....8 of them are running a base defense with a striker/nickel for majority of their non heavy set snaps.

The star and rover positions arent played like the striker… The striker is stupid and Bama and UGA don’t field their version of the “striker” every down. No matter the situation Manny had a striker on the field with the front 7 lined up ready to get exposed before the snap.

Alabama Star not on the field…

2C2055D1-DBD2-41D0-BA7E-C8F45E3F2849.jpeg

Alabama Star on the field….

39E13337-5DB1-4F30-8F41-C74F4D273BBA.jpeg

The star and rover positions arent played like the striker… The striker is stupid and Bama and UGA don’t field their version of the “striker” every down. No matter the situation Manny had a striker on the field with the front 7 lined up ready to get exposed before the snap.

Alabama Star not on the field…

View attachment 169154

Alabama Star on the field….

View attachment 169155
Smart coaches match personnel, that was my biggest issue with manny. Our striker is a safety/LB hybrid they have a Nickel/Safety hybrid. For example minkah played star there, and I think earl little jr will too

Advertisement
Back