How good is Nesta ?

Advertisement
Alot of people really dont understand football, jade like many players in the past ego is in the way, he should've redshirted either his freshman year and definitely last year, but that's one of the ways we know coach feely is the real deal, to get a d-tackle ready to play that position. From a physical standpoint i never thought he was ready, but he's a bowling ball in there, if jade had jordan miller's size, he'd be terrorizing teams. He still has time to start dominating, but i never expected anything out of him in his 1st 2 years myself, which is why the d-line and defense as a whole is starting to get back and be managed properly, got alot of real good redshirts on that side of the ball now. The one thing nesta brings is his leadership and work ethic, from that standpoint alone, thst was my main reason for wanting nesta to sign with us over anything, a True Cane. Although he's on offense, coach richt redshirting gaynor and gaynor understanding was a smart move, coach richt would've redshirted more guys but those offensive crybabies thought they could start a mutiny, look at noodles, if he was smart, he would've redshirted as well, he might want to think about it. If im a player, say receiver, if i see we got qb's that need to grow up, im redshirting, pope stats in his 1st 2 years is a waist of time, same with crybaby mallory, 2 guys who really should've been redshirted but they didnt want to, graduation will be quick!
Man this post was spot on.

Ok. I’m in the camp that Jade is and will remain a rotational DT rather than a full time starter. Why?

* as many have mentioned, he has only one move, the bull rush. If that fails, he fails.

* a commentator on another site cited Jade’s very poor measurables for a top DT. In particular, his short shuttle speed was horrendous. That means that his ability to quickly move laterally and change directions is very, very limited. If he fails on the bull rush, he cannot adjust his charge and counterattack from another angle or direction.

* the stark contrast with this liability is Warren Sapp. Sized similarly to Jade, Sapp is a tremendous athlete with speed, quickness, lateral mobility and explosive leaping ability. He could dunk the basketball from a standing start under the basket. If blocked, he would not stay blocked. He’d uses his strength and quickness to get around his man, spin, reverse, or whatever it took to move forward. Very, very few OLinemen could handle him 1-1. In Canes history, I can only recall that Jerome Brown, Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland having some of those skills.

* if Jade gets blocked, he stays blocked. Period. The painful reality of this was the Pinstripe Bowl game against Wisconsin. Willis did not play and Joe Jackson played very little. Jade played a lot....and got dominated play after play by the excellent Badger OL. He could not adjust and make new moves.

Can Jade improve and contribute? No doubt. Can he be our dominant 3 technique DT? No.

Advertisement
Ok. I’m in the camp that Jade is and will remain a rotational DT rather than a full time starter. Why?

* as many have mentioned, he has only one move, the bull rush. If that fails, he fails.

* a commentator on another site cited Jade’s very poor measurables for a top DT. In particular, his short shuttle speed was horrendous. That means that his ability to quickly move laterally and change directions is very, very limited. If he fails on the bull rush, he cannot adjust his charge and counterattack from another angle or direction.

* the stark contrast with this liability is Warren Sapp. Sized similarly to Jade, Sapp is a tremendous athlete with speed, quickness, lateral mobility and explosive leaping ability. He could dunk the basketball from a standing start under the basket. If blocked, he would not stay blocked. He’d uses his strength and quickness to get around his man, spin, reverse, or whatever it took to move forward. Very, very few OLinemen could handle him 1-1. In Canes history, I can only recall that Jerome Brown, Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland having some of those skills.

* if Jade gets blocked, he stays blocked. Period. The painful reality of this was the Pinstripe Bowl game against Wisconsin. Willis did not play and Joe Jackson played very little. Jade played a lot....and got dominated play after play by the excellent Badger OL. He could not adjust and make new moves.

Can Jade improve and contribute? No doubt. Can he be our dominant 3 technique DT? No.

let’s hope he’s worked on all of his shortcomings this off season

He has a lot to prove. However, DTs develop later. This year is huge for him.

And I will ALWAYS respect a guy for turning down big offers to stay here to TRY to make the crib great again. He might not be ultimately skilled enough to dominate, but that does not minimize my appreciation.

GOOD LUCK NESTA!!!

there’s been a lot of turnover on the Dline as far a coaches go so I’m hoping that the continuity will help all the returning players make a jump and improve

Advertisement
My hopes for Nesta to be the new Sapp was sky high watching him strut.
I’m not giving up on him , this year is critical for him or his pine time will increase.
We have some young bucks coming and will push for PT he’ll definitely will feel the pressure hope he responds to competition well and doesn’t turn to JW type attitude this will cost him to turn to portal if he gets watery eyes for cry room support.

I want Nesta to release the SAPP in him 🙌
Wasn't SAPP running wind sprints with the WR's? Don't see Jade running sprints. Hope he surprises me. Sapp speed was apparent very early on imo.

It’s a big year for him. Typically the light goes on for DT’s in their 3rd year. We shall see. Hopefully he’s humbled himself and putting in the work.

Go Canes!

Nesta doesn’t have the almost requisite measurables to be great. Anyone expecting that is setting themselves up for disappointment. That doesn’t mean he can’t be good though, which an energy guy like him can do without major stats

Advertisement

Really using the the Wisconsin game as example for a TF DT against an experienced OL?

Excellent pregame, focused, strut solid and pumped to play .
Film quite the different player arrives late but talk impressive .

I want / we need Nesta to show up in a big way this year or he’ll be portal bound once his pine time increases which should NEVER happen.

He won’t like the real world trust me it is closing in fast on Nesta with 60 hour work weeks ( that should scare him straight ).

NESTA STOP TALKING YOUR GAME DOES NOT SUPPORT IT .

Call some past players and actually LISTEN to them or ELSE

GOCANES

He's not soft the kids a bully but we ain't talking about scrappin here. Really no kids soft they all playing d1 football lol

Advertisement
He's not soft the kids a bully but we ain't talking about scrappin here. Really no kids soft they all playing d1 football lol
I’ve posts this before, when kids in HS running rampant dominated .
BOOM in D1 first day they’re given a phone book size playbook with software of just basic plays on O or D .
Then in there first practice they see pure HAUS STUD DUDES juniors/ seniors that dominate them and they FREAK .
That’s when there vulnerable to JW syndrome, they have no idea of WORK TRAINING they’ve toad on laurels and popularity.

In D1 laurels you mop the floor with PRODUCTION RULES .

LAURELS, ENABLES, JW ‘s, CRY ROOM , FEMINIST TYPES FALL by the way side

or the team does if they stay like we’ve seen.

GOCANES

Nesta doesn’t have the almost requisite measurables to be great. Anyone expecting that is setting themselves up for disappointment. That doesn’t mean he can’t be good though, which an energy guy like him can do without major stats
I wonder if he's playing too heavy. In other words, if he trimmed to a legit 290-287ish, I feel like those measurable would come in and he'd still retain most of his strength.

Last edited:
This is why you have to evaluate on your own. Nesta won with power and effort in HS. He projected as a nose who could push the pocket and make plays in pursuit. He was never the quick, agile penetrating 3-tech type. I don't care what his stats were against HS kids or how many stars 247 gave him.

Don't even get me started on five star Lingawd and these fans...
I agree, coming out of HS as a manchild playing with boys people had high expectations, maybe set that bar too high. His injuries were a factor, but I thought when he came back he looked out of shape. With the facilities available injury or no, getting and keeping in shape is a must. That said, Silvera has the frame and potential and temperament to be great. But doesn’t matter what I think, it’s what HE thinks. Cane greatness and culture isn’t infused by osmosis. It’s hard work on and off the field. It’s leadership and mental toughness. This kid has 2years left, he can be what WE want him to be. Only if HE wants it. He has to not only reach for greatness but exceed his grasp to be great.

Advertisement
Back