How good is Nesta ?

He actually was chasing down running backs in the backfield, he plays with a motor just needs to refine his technique and gain more moves(all of our dlineman need to really)

He did do that a lot but IIRC he was the 2nd effort clean-up guy. His motor is great like you said but he's never been the guy who initiates pressure with quickness like a Willis or Sapp. It's fine cause our DTs need to stop the run and pursue to the ball. We have big DEs who can kick inside on passing downs.

Advertisement
What were your thoughts on Lingard?

I never liked him, especially not as a 5* blue chip prospect. He's a high-hipped straight-linish track runner who doesn't create yards behind the line of scrimmage. His success is dependent on OL generating big creases for him to run through (in a straight line) but he's not a power guy like the productive track runner types (Fournette and Henry). He obviously lacks pass game skills as well considering how he was (not) utilized by the staff.

I never liked him, especially not as a 5* blue chip prospect. He's a high-hipped straight-linish track runner who doesn't create yards behind the line of scrimmage. His success is dependent on OL generating big creases for him to run through (in a straight line) but he's not a power guy like the productive track runner types (Fournette and Henry). He obviously lacks pass game skills as well considering how he was (not) utilized by the staff.

Felt the same way early on. Had to chop his feet to change direction and lacked vision

Advertisement
He played with good power and leverage and also could play two gap very well for a high school kid. But yes, he wasn’t exploding past blockers and chasing down running backs in the backfield. He’s a very good nose/1 tech.
It used to be said that you need to control the center. I'm not sure why exactly but the offenses of that era ('80's and earlier) needed to have effective center play. Perhaps to get to and control a LB. The offenses of that era were more run oriented. When we played Oklahoma in the '88 OB game for the '87 NC I read that the defensive strategy was to control and neutralize the Oklahoma center. I remember watching Derwin Jones (RIP) working him over.

We did that in a four man front but I think Derwin was playing essentially a one-technique.

Offenses are spread out more today and pass-oriented. Oklahoma in '88 was a wishbone team. I'm wondering if there is much of a role for two-gap one technique guy today versus the spreads we're seeing.

Advertisement
He's alright, but people expect all-pro's by their second year here. He still has time, but doesn't jump out of the screen like a lot of people have here.

My hopes for Nesta to be the new Sapp was sky high watching him strut.
I’m not giving up on him , this year is critical for him or his pine time will increase.
We have some young bucks coming and will push for PT he’ll definitely will feel the pressure hope he responds to competition well and doesn’t turn to JW type attitude this will cost him to turn to portal if he gets watery eyes for cry room support.

I want Nesta to release the SAPP in him 🙌
Don't know if he has the athletic ability of Sapp but I think he has the potential to be good

It used to be said that you need to control the center. I'm not sure why exactly but the offenses of that era ('80's and earlier) needed to have effective center play. Perhaps to get to and control a LB. The offenses of that era were more run oriented. When we played Oklahoma in the '88 OB game for the '87 NC I read that the defensive strategy was to control and neutralize the Oklahoma center. I remember watching Derwin Jones (RIP) working him over.

We did that in a four man front but I think Derwin was playing essentially a one-technique.

Offenses are spread out more today and pass-oriented. Oklahoma in '88 was a wishbone team. I'm wondering if there is much of a role for two-gap one technique guy today versus the spreads we're seeing.
Absolutely. With the rise in spread offenses, you’re seeing a rise in odd front defenses like the 3-3-5. While these newer defenses prioritize position flexibility (safety/linebacker and DE/linebacker hybrids) the best ones still have a nose tackle who can command double teams and play both A gaps

Advertisement
He flashed like all of our dts did at times, have to remember he was coming off knee and foot injury and probably wasn’t necessarily all the way ready. Let’s see what he does when he’s fully healthy. Statistically some of the dts #s were hurt on pass rushing downs due to us imploying greg as the only interior dlineman for majority of games in those situations compared to what we did in the past of having a traditional 4-3 or 4-2-5 alignment on those downs. Sh*t look at jon ford #s he had 3 sacks and 3 tfls the entire season even though he started every game. All the dts #s were down this season for whatever reason and the 2 young guys Silvera and miller didn’t play all that many snaps to begin with last season(not anywhere near the reps ford or bethel got). Their production should increase this year with increased reps.

Alot of people really dont understand football, jade like many players in the past ego is in the way, he should've redshirted either his freshman year and definitely last year, but that's one of the ways we know coach feely is the real deal, to get a d-tackle ready to play that position. From a physical standpoint i never thought he was ready, but he's a bowling ball in there, if jade had jordan miller's size, he'd be terrorizing teams. He still has time to start dominating, but i never expected anything out of him in his 1st 2 years myself, which is why the d-line and defense as a whole is starting to get back and be managed properly, got alot of real good redshirts on that side of the ball now. The one thing nesta brings is his leadership and work ethic, from that standpoint alone, thst was my main reason for wanting nesta to sign with us over anything, a True Cane. Although he's on offense, coach richt redshirting gaynor and gaynor understanding was a smart move, coach richt would've redshirted more guys but those offensive crybabies thought they could start a mutiny, look at noodles, if he was smart, he would've redshirted as well, he might want to think about it. If im a player, say receiver, if i see we got qb's that need to grow up, im redshirting, pope stats in his 1st 2 years is a waist of time, same with crybaby mallory, 2 guys who really should've been redshirted but they didnt want to, graduation will be quick!

Similar in stature to Damien Lewis. If he can perform the way Lewis did back in 99/00 and Rousseau, Roche, Phillips, Ford, Miller, Harvey, Blissett, Holley are ready then baby we got a stew goin'

Advertisement
He was overhyped big time coming out of HS.

He’s got one good move - the bull rush.

That’s it.

He’s also incredibly soft and mentally weak.

It’s do or die this year for him.
Soft? Incredibly weak? That's insulting his character, wats the purpose? Maybe he just isn't that good!

He's a bit overrated by our fanbase. His skill set it a bit of an archaic archetype. Bull rushing nose prototype, but...how much value does that have in 2020? In the NFL, not that much. It doesn't project to an All-Conference type either.

He's a good player at what he does, but what he does well isnt incredibly valuable.

I really want to see what Blissett or JHH have to offer. Those guys have the athletic makeup to be All-Conference types. In a perfect world, Nesta is able to bully in the interior and give those types of players (JB and JHH) room to make plays.

Advertisement
Back