How do you stop Clemson....

KOOLAID4L

Freshman
So if and when we see them again I think we need to change up how we look on def. I watched there GT GAME AND REWATCHED the game we played with them. It was screen after screen after screen. WITH MULTIPLE screens in one play. How and what def do you use to stop something like that?
I also noticed that we weren't getting any pressure on Lawrence like we should do we call more blitzing packages or do we play more of a 3-4spy look? I would really like to see a cornerback blitz added in as well that way if he decides to not throw it to one screen you have the corner ready to kill him when he turns around to throw back to the next screen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Stop Etienne ands Rodgers that's who they feature. Rodgers isn't all that great. Tackle well and don't make dumb penalties. You can take advantage of their sorry *** s 's into he passing game and their lb'sd don't cover all that well either, get creative on offense, some misdirection, abuse that s Nolan whatever his last name is dude is flat trash in coverage

I watched that Georgia tech game too and while tech is not that good, Trevor just makes throws that make your jaw drop. It’s unreal. Orlovsky was on the call and he was in stitches. Historically dabo plays it pretty conservative in big games like ours was at the time. Against lesser teams he opens it up and out em away early with high risk high reward plays. Those plays could prove detrimental against more talented teams like us. But against wake and tech it’s not a big deal. Dabo does this to maximize reps for his bench. It keeps the bench players in tune with the game and their prep during the week.

So to answer the OP. You just pray. Pray Trevor has a bad game. ETN has a bad game. And then we play literally perfect.

Advertisement
Biggest thing is going to be going against who we are as an aggressive d-line. If you watch those screens against us you will see they release 2 and sometimes 3 olineman to block up field. Our dline ran by them thinking free shot on Lawrence but really just took themselves out of the play and allowed the online to tee up on our lbs and safeties. Obviously letting Lawrence throw with no pressure will eventually get you beat too. It's kinda the reason they are the best, lots of ways to beat you.

you have to have an offense that came hang with them, like LSU last year and you have to have speed athletes you can count on at both corners. if you play mistake free and keep the pressure on by scoring, you have a chance. as much as I hate them, I think the only teams that can do that this year are Bama and Ohio State (feel dirty for even saying that given their thievery). not saying it can't be done, but you have to score a lot and stay close.

Advertisement
You need a LB core so that your safeties aren't making tackles 10 yards down field. You need a strong OL to control the line of scrimmage so you have something that looks like a running game and it also helps keep your QB upright. I get the d-line deal above but in reality our LB were slow and/or took bad angles and missed tackles.

You need your WR to make plays and come up with those one on one balls.

Unfortunately, IMO we don't match up well in those areas. With that being said, on any given Saturday...

We just need to play one game at a time to hopefully set us up for a rematch or at the least get us into a good bowl with either being a major improvement over last year and steps in the right direction.

They have the #1 pick and a future NFL QB leading them along with a RB who will more than likely also start in the League. We are not beating them this year unless the game is full of fluke circumstances.

We blocked 3 freaking kicks and still got destroyed !!

Let's talk about beating them next year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
someone said y'all need a fixer....

OIP.UzmRTaVWE2pXrUvm9EYMngHaJk.jpeg

Bama and Clemson are in a tier by themselves. You arent beating those teams on a consistent basis but both could be beaten.

So if and when we see them again I think we need to change up how we look on def. I watched there GT GAME AND REWATCHED the game we played with them. It was screen after screen after screen. WITH MULTIPLE screens in one play. How and what def do you use to stop something like that?
I also noticed that we weren't getting any pressure on Lawrence like we should do we call more blitzing packages or do we play more of a 3-4spy look? I would really like to see a cornerback blitz added in as well that way if he decides to not throw it to one screen you have the corner ready to kill him when he turns around to throw back to the next screen.
Tough to get pressure when they're running screens and quick passes to the flats. We tried to take Etienne away and they got him open in the flats one on one with our backers which is a loss for us. Feel like the best way to beat them is press man and allow the pass rush time to work but I'm not sure we have the horses to make that happen.

Advertisement
Back