How Do You Know What Coach Will Or Won't Work?

Of course there are no guarantees, but that's where past performance and tutelage come into play. All you can do is make an educated, well-informed pick. It can still bomb, but at least it's well reasoned. Y'all probably don't care about my opinion but a guy like Mario would be a terrible choice IMO. What side of the ball does he excel at? The guy has never even been a coordinator, you'd be a hiring a position coach to take over one of the top programs in all of college football. He has no demonstrated success to where you can point to and say 'hey with a little bit of seasoning he can become a **** good coach.' You can't point to X's and O's and you can't point to successfully leading a program to even marginal success. Hiring him is basically a hope and a prayer.

Hey killa who would be your choice if you were a Canes fan?

Advertisement
Of course there are no guarantees, but that's where past performance and tutelage come into play. All you can do is make an educated, well-informed pick. It can still bomb, but at least it's well reasoned. Y'all probably don't care about my opinion but a guy like Mario would be a terrible choice IMO. What side of the ball does he excel at? The guy has never even been a coordinator, you'd be a hiring a position coach to take over one of the top programs in all of college football. He has no demonstrated success to where you can point to and say 'hey with a little bit of seasoning he can become a **** good coach.' You can't point to X's and O's and you can't point to successfully leading a program to even marginal success. Hiring him is basically a hope and a prayer.

I agree with you. I don't want mario either. All i'm saying is you don't know who will work or won't and you cant dismiss everybody.

Last edited:

Was directed towards me but ill reply because i think Dan Mullen would he legit. I mean he has built Mississippi state from ground up. His offense is exciting and he has enough respect around the NCAA to sign a top defensive coordinator. Should have hired him the first time.

1. Mullen
2. Strong
3. Richt
4. Fuente
5. Herman

We have a pretty solid track record on Mario that you outlined, and "a hope and a prayer" is far too optimistic. A better analogy would be throwing **** against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Advertisement
I have seen a ton of fans dismissing every candidate and saying they can't coach. How do you know who will actually pan out or not? Other fan bases laughed at uf when they hired mcelwain because he wasn't a big name and nobody knew him.

Every coach is a risk outside of saban, meyer and harbaugh. The fact is nobody knows what will happen and there is no safe pick.

Miami is not getting a elite coach. You need somebody who can get players in the program and a staff that can develop them and put the in a scheme that fits.

There are different types of coaches. Saban and harabaugh are xs and os guys. I consider urban meyer a ceo type. He is a motivator and leader. He is a guy that just understands how to run a program. Dabo is a recruiter and a energetic passionate guy. Motivates players and put systems in place that recruits want to play in.

College football is about recruiting, systems on both sides(especially offense), and coaching staffs for player development. Every winning program has those ingredients and miami hasn't had it

Yes. Nobody can predict the future.
But you can make a risk assesment based on track record.
That way you can make the best possible hire and not just give it to the first guy that wants the job.

BTW- one thing Golden was 110% right on was the inferiority complex our fans have.
If you perceive yourself to be a third rate job...then that's what candidates will perceive you to be.
God I hope we have a AD that believes this to be the best job in the planet.
That has no reservation calling Belichick to offer him the job.

Well it is simple. We all know more than anyone else. We have played in back yard, coached our kids, and or watched a lot of football. Each of us knows everything. So don't worry, we got this.

I have seen a ton of fans dismissing every candidate and saying they can't coach. How do you know who will actually pan out or not? Other fan bases laughed at uf when they hired mcelwain because he wasn't a big name and nobody knew him.

Every coach is a risk outside of saban, meyer and harbaugh. The fact is nobody knows what will happen and there is no safe pick.

Miami is not getting a elite coach. You need somebody who can get players in the program and a staff that can develop them and put the in a scheme that fits.

There are different types of coaches. Saban and harabaugh are xs and os guys. I consider urban meyer a ceo type. He is a motivator and leader. He is a guy that just understands how to run a program. Dabo is a recruiter and a energetic passionate guy. Motivates players and put systems in place that recruits want to play in.

College football is about recruiting, systems on both sides(especially offense), and coaching staffs for player development. Every winning program has those ingredients and miami hasn't had it

Yes. Nobody can predict the future.
But you can make a risk assesment based on track record.
That way you can make the best possible hire and not just give it to the first guy that wants the job.

BTW- one thing Golden was 110% right on was the inferiority complex our fans have.
If you perceive yourself to be a third rate job...then that's what candidates will perceive you to be.
God I hope we have a AD that believes this to be the best job in the planet.
That has no reservation calling Belichick to offer him the job.

I think there is only three elite coaches in college football. Then there are guys like jimbo, les miles, dantonio, patterson and dabo that i believe are very good. Then i think you got strong, briles, and a couple others in the good group.

Advertisement
Fans need to open there eyes. What elite coach has been mentioned to have interest in this job? A guy on 247 polled some coaches around cfb and they were split on if kentucky was a better job than miami. ****in kentucky.

Exactly why I think bringing Mario is not that bad he can recruit which is the bread and butter of college football tell me what coach does good at FIU?? He actually did a pretty decent job there with a crazy lunatic AD so I understand some of the points by the posters but the hate for the guy is incredible. Mario with a great staff can do wonders

Ron Zook used to recruit well too. See how far that got him and how well the following coach did with his players.

Dude have not read a thread on this board before?

People are not rational thinkers on this board. They basically spew nonsense all day long. They feed off each other and then they quote each other as if it were facts.

For example your post is completely rational but people are downgrading you simply because they don't want rational dialogue on this board.

Its a virtual beavis and butthead show and a very entertaining one at that.

Advertisement
Back