How Do You Know What Coach Will Or Won't Work?

252cane

All-ACC
I have seen a ton of fans dismissing every candidate and saying they can't coach. How do you know who will actually pan out or not? Other fan bases laughed at uf when they hired mcelwain because he wasn't a big name and nobody knew him.

Every coach is a risk outside of saban, meyer and harbaugh. The fact is nobody knows what will happen and there is no safe pick.

Miami is not getting a elite coach. You need somebody who can get players in the program and a staff that can develop them and put the in a scheme that fits.

There are different types of coaches. Saban and harabaugh are xs and os guys. I consider urban meyer a ceo type. He is a motivator and leader. He is a guy that just understands how to run a program. Dabo is a recruiter and a energetic passionate guy. Motivates players and put systems in place that recruits want to play in.

College football is about recruiting, systems on both sides(especially offense), and coaching staffs for player development. Every winning program has those ingredients and miami hasn't had it

Advertisement
LMFAO at saying nobody knew who Mcelwain was......

And negged for saying we aren't getting an elite coach. Why not? Howard was an elite coach in 1978, and we got him then.

If i could double neg, I would for implying that we need to bring better players in here. A real coach would win by year 2 here.

I have seen a ton of fans dismissing every candidate and saying they can't coach. How do you know who will actually pan out or not? Other fan bases laughed at uf when they hired mcelwain because he wasn't a big name and nobody knew him.

Every coach is a risk outside of saban, meyer and harbaugh. The fact is nobody knows what will happen and there is no safe pick.

Miami is not getting a elite coach. You need somebody who can get players in the program and a staff that can develop them and put the in a scheme that fits.

There are different types of coaches. Saban and harabaugh are xs and os guys. I consider urban meyer a ceo type. He is a motivator and leader. He is a guy that just understands how to run a program. Dabo is a recruiter and a energetic passionate guy. Motivates players and put systems in place that recruits want to play in.

College football is about recruiting, systems on both sides(especially offense), and coaching staffs for player development. Every winning program has those ingredients and miami hasn't had it

Dumb!

And negged for saying we aren't getting an elite coach. Why not? Howard was an elite coach in 1978, and we got him then.

If i could double neg, I would for implying that we need to bring better players in here. A real coach would win by year 2 here.

This current team would be Undefeated with Jim Harbaugh as HC!

Advertisement
LOL @ mcelwain... To be honest Leach ran circles around that clown, but his dumb *** qb like always costed him the game.

Im going to assume this was made with that garbage sack Mario in mind.

The answer is he's already been a head coach. He's shown about what Golden did before getting hired. High energy "recruiter" who molded a program made of ***** into a bowl eligible pile of *****.

McElwain is a bad example. Unlike Mario, who has never been a coordinator, he was an OC for 5 seasons, 4 of which came at Alabama. Again, not the OL coach, the OC. He ran the offense for highly accomplished teams and pulverized a dominant UF defense to put himself on the map.

He won 8 games year 2 at Colorado State. Went 10-2 in year. Maybe 3-4 coaches are a sure thing, but McElwain's résumé destroys Wario's.

Fans need to open there eyes. What elite coach has been mentioned to have interest in this job? A guy on 247 polled some coaches around cfb and they were split on if kentucky was a better job than miami. ****** kentucky.

Im going to assume this was made with that garbage sack Mario in mind.

The answer is he's already been a head coach. He's shown about what Golden did before getting hired. High energy "recruiter" who molded a program made of ***** into a bowl eligible pile of *****.

And there are several coaches who haven't been coordinators who are successful. Three of them are undefeated right now.

McElwain is a bad example. Unlike Mario, who has never been a coordinator, he was an OC for 5 seasons, 4 of which came at Alabama. Again, not the OL coach, the OC. He ran the offense for highly accomplished teams and pulverized a dominant UF defense to put himself on the map.

He won 8 games year 2 at Colorado State. Went 10-2 in year. Maybe 3-4 coaches are a sure thing, but McElwain's résumé destroys Wario's.

**** no it wasn't. I'm not a cristobal fan. I'm talking about in general like people dismissing chud, a guy i'm not asking for either but who is to say he wouldn't win here. And i'm talking about people not knowing who mcelwain was not if he could coach or not.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fans need to open there eyes. What elite coach has been mentioned to have interest in this job? A guy on 247 polled some coaches around cfb and they were split on if kentucky was a better job than miami. ****in kentucky.

Ah yes a classic chicken little "fan".

LOL at Mario's Marielitos trying to make it seem like choosing a good HC is tougher than splitting the atom. Here's a novel concept: Don't hire guys who have failed badly as a HC and/or have done nothing of note

"Well, no one knows anything, so might as well hire Mario, bro."

Fans need to open there eyes. What elite coach has been mentioned to have interest in this job? A guy on 247 polled some coaches around cfb and they were split on if kentucky was a better job than miami. ****in kentucky.

Exactly why I think bringing Mario is not that bad he can recruit which is the bread and butter of college football tell me what coach does good at FIU?? He actually did a pretty decent job there with a crazy lunatic AD so I understand some of the points by the posters but the hate for the guy is incredible. Mario with a great staff can do wonders

LOL at Mario's Marielitos trying to make it seem like choosing a good HC is tougher than splitting the atom. Here's a novel concept: Don't hire guys who have failed badly as a HC and/or have done nothing of note

Yup I wrote it in some other thread about how it's actually a lot easier than you think.

Advertisement
Fans need to open there eyes. What elite coach has been mentioned to have interest in this job? A guy on 247 polled some coaches around cfb and they were split on if kentucky was a better job than miami. ****** kentucky.
Yeah because Belichick and Gruden were publicly clamoring for the UF job when Muscrap got fired. There's always plenty of employed HCs publicly campaigning for open jobs every year. Didn't Saban just hold a press conference to tell the world he wants the USC gig?

Exactly why I think bringing Mario is not that bad he can recruit which is the bread and butter of college football tell me what coach does good at FIU?? He actually did a pretty decent job there with a crazy lunatic AD so I understand some of the points by the posters but the hate for the guy is incredible. Mario with a great staff can do wonders

So this is a great example for the board.....

When you read this poster's comments, do they come across as being from a highly educated, advanced degree holder? Or do they come across as someone who is poorly educated? I'm being serious.

To me, I instantly have my "******-dar" going off. And like clockwork, it's someone suggesting Mario, Strong, or defending Swasey.

Yup I wrote it in some other thread about how it's actually a lot easier than you think.

Nobody wants mario can yall ****** read. Cristobal stays on your minds. Is he the only coach in the ****** world?

Advertisement

He won 3 games after recruiting at fiu for 5 years in the horrid Sun Belt.

And that crazy lunatic you reference was Butch's right hand man forever. You're a blasphemer.

Let's try reading people. This is NOT about cristobal. It's about dismissing any possible candidate. Not one coach is in mind i am talking in general.

Of course there are no guarantees, but that's where past performance and tutelage come into play. All you can do is make an educated, well-informed pick. It can still bomb, but at least it's well reasoned. Y'all probably don't care about my opinion but a guy like Mario would be a terrible choice IMO. What side of the ball does he excel at? The guy has never even been a coordinator, you'd be a hiring a position coach to take over one of the top programs in all of college football. He has no demonstrated success to where you can point to and say 'hey with a little bit of seasoning he can become a **** good coach.' You can't point to X's and O's and you can't point to successfully leading a program to even marginal success. Hiring him is basically a hope and a prayer.

This isn't 1978 and don't give a **** about a neg. I'm a grown *** man. And we do need better players. This team can win 10 games and play for acc championship but win a national championship, **** no.

Advertisement
Back