How do you get beat by the same counter running play over and over and never adjust?

Was nobody getting it in the first quarter when the same play kept busting us up? How about the second quarter? You really have to give up 600 yards rushing before you can figure it out? Mack Brown may have fired Manny once before, but he sure as **** should count this one as the second time, now the only question is how many years will it take our administration to sell this poorly performing stock that will lose them money each year from now until it is sold? If this BOT and administration ever did anything timely or proactively it would be the first time, these have to be the most clueless people on the planet.
Manny explained in his presser that Miami failed to adjust to what NC was doing. Thats how!!

Advertisement
Was nobody getting it in the first quarter when the same play kept busting us up? How about the second quarter? You really have to give up 600 yards rushing before you can figure it out? Mack Brown may have fired Manny once before, but he sure as **** should count this one as the second time, now the only question is how many years will it take our administration to sell this poorly performing stock that will lose them money each year from now until it is sold? If this BOT and administration ever did anything timely or proactively it would be the first time, these have to be the most clueless people on the planet.
When you hire a D coordinator from a failed regime that let the exact same plays beat him at Texas too which got him fired there, that’s how! Would have thought we would have figured out hiring a D coordinator from a failed regime is a recipe for you know, more failure but clearly the “big brains” in charge of UM haven’t figured that out yet. E before the W bro, 8-2 bro, lisp and slide bro! Smh

Our staph full of idiots tried to out think the room and obviously failed miserably. A counter play is something that pop warner coaches can teach how to defend. Its one of the oldest plays in the book. UNC didn't even put a wrinkle in it. They just ran one of the most basic, oldest running plays in football history over and over again. Our bum coaches refused to figure it out. This is all on corching and preparation. We have amateurs. UNC does not have great coaches but they at least have P5 level personnel.

What I saw last night was the most disgusting performance since the last game at the OB. This team and program is a joke right now. Manny has to make some major changes. He must bring in a REAL DC.
It was the most insane thing I've ever seen

They came into the game with no plan. Every play on defense was a guess. If they watched the Notre Dame game it was obvious that you stop the run you neutralize their offense. Stack the box and live with whatever Howell does through the air.
Exactly. Was thinking the same thing during the game. Amatuer coaching performance !

Its almost as if we have low football IQ players who are not well coached, right?

One play stood out (among a LOT of bad plays), and @CanesAreAble pointed this out, UNC had a 2nd and 26 after a penalty, and they ran a basic running play, and the ball carrier was untouched for about 30 yards. It was incredible, how bad all three levels of this defense was yesterday on so many plays

Nobody set the edge consistently, poor angles, backers hitting the wrong gaps, lack of effort in tackling. It was a clinic on how not to play this game. I truly believe it was a fire-able offense from that staff. And when it comes to the seniors, there are certain players that if they wanted to come back, I would respectfully decline their offer(and you guys know which guys Im talking about)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Being a defensive guy, that **** was hard to stomach. I’m screaming at the **** TV, like an old black lady watching, The Price Is Right! My wife thought I was about to rip the **** TV off of the wall.🤮🤢🤮
I nearly punched the tv in the second quarter - except the tv is a projector so I'd be punching a brick wall.

Its almost as if we have low football IQ players who are not well coached, right?

One play stood out (among a LOT of bad plays), and @CanesAreAble pointed this out, UNC had a 1st and 26 after a penalty, and they ran a basic running play, and the ball carrier was untouched for about 30 yards. It was incredible, how bad all three levels of this defense was yesterday on so many plays

Nobody set the edge consistently, poor angles, backers hitting the wrong gaps, lack of effort in tackling. It was a clinic on how not to play this game. I truly believe it was a fire-able offense from that staff. And when it comes to the seniors, there are certain players that if they wanted to come back, I wouldnt respectfully decline their offer(and you guys know which guys Im talking about)

Total system failure.

Herbie mentioned it during the game all NC was doing was running the counter Very frustrating watching such a despicable performance.

I was at work watching briefly on my phone whenever I got the chance.
As many on here now I’m poorly educated fan when it comes to play calling, coaching etc...
But even my dumbass saw them running over and over again the same sht. The kept splitting our line and our linebackers were constantly washed way out of position. A simple GA with an iPad or a phone with a streaming app could’ve showed them wtf was going on.
AND NOBODY DID!!!!!

Advertisement
i wanna see highlights of BYU doing this to Texas with Manny sitting on the sidelines. Pure comedy

Coaching Matters

How do you get beat by the same counter running play over and over and never adjust?​

Simple. Watch the game yesterday and Manny will show you exactly how.

Manny explained in his presser that Miami failed to adjust to what NC was doing. Thats how!!
Profound, insightful....revelatory.

When someone with such rudimentary X and O’s knowledge as I have can say we needed adjustments....that never came....that says a lot.

It was almost sickening....I’m off the MD bandwagon. There was a reason Mack Brown fired him.

Advertisement
Does anyone not remember Wisconsin and Jonathan Taylor doing this to Manny's D in consecutive bowl games? This is what Manny's "Havoc Bro" defense is - front 4 go brrrr and f everyone else. There's no gap integrity, no edge setting, no strategy, and it requires the back 7 be full of Shaqs and Jaquans to play cleanup effectively. With modern offenses geared toward passing, you can get away with it most of the time, but when your Achilles heel is just "run directly at them" you're going to look real dumb when an offense can take advantage.

Advertisement
Miami Hurricanes Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

2 words dIAZ dEFENSE

Advertisement
Back