How do you fix the running game next year?

I thought Walton looked really good today, ran with authority especially on his TD. He is the youngest guy on the team, I expect more improvement from him next year. In a 1 back set you need guys who can shake off contact. That is a weakness with Yearby. Bottom line our current players do not fit the scheme well but I think Walton will fit it better next year and our run game will improve. Gus is a big back but does not seem to have the same instincts and toughness that Walton does.

Advertisement
Start Redshirting olineman. Then by their sophomore year. They'll have been in the program three years. Part of the problem in my opinion.

Start Redshirting olineman. Then by their sophomore year. They'll have been in the program three years. Part of the problem in my opinion.

Al Gorlden went out of his way not only to refuse to redshirt kids but also to give them 2-3 snaps each season to make sure that their redshirt was burned.

He did more damage to Miami than Pell.

1. Better O-Line push
2. Mix in a toss (to the left and right) to the 1,000 inside handoffs we run!!!
3. Run a mis-direction hand off
4. Once a game (or every other game)...run a reverse or double reverse.

Al Gorlden went out of his way not only to refuse to redshirt kids but also to give them 2-3 snaps each season to make sure that their redshirt was burned.

He did more damage to Miami than Pell.

This. Completely idiotic.

Also it would be nice to use the Fullback again.

Advertisement
I mean are we surprised? We haven't had a great OL since 2001. And while one of the reasons is Kehoe is beyond finished, we sucked with Stoutland as well. Take a look at our big men from 2001. Then take a peak at our big men today. Our players are in terrible condition.

Then, you add in the worst OC in the power 5, and an RB coach who should never be allowed at a D1 school, and bam, there's your answer.

We finished with one of the top rushing offense in UM history under Stoutland. We were also one of the best teams in the ACC in terms of Yards-Per-Carry.

And this was with Mike James running the ball.

Some of you guys wanna bring a Fullback in but that's not beneficial at all unless he's a beast. Bringing in a mediocre Fullback who can't move Linebackers will only have us looking worse in the running game.

Fullback doesn't = better running game

IMO our main problem is that we're not creative with the run game. We're not versatile. Seems like we utilize the same running plays over and over again. Where is the Iso, Counter, Power, etc?

Coley needs to watch some film of Ohio State and take a page from them. (minus the QB runs)

Our OL is young for one. Next thing I don't think our players fit those plays Coley like to run from.

Advertisement
Some of you guys wanna bring a Fullback in but that's not beneficial at all unless he's a beast. Bringing in a mediocre Fullback who can't move Linebackers will only have us looking worse in the running game.

Fullback doesn't = better running game

IMO our main problem is that we're not creative with the run game. We're not versatile. Seems like we utilize the same running plays over and over again. Where is the Iso, Counter, Power, etc?

Coley needs to watch some film of Ohio State and take a page from them. (minus the QB runs)

You don't like Gage Batten?

I think the only reason he isn't better is because Corley has had him riding the bench for the better part of his time here.

I'll take Njoku at the FB/H-back role all day over Batten at a traditional FB position in the Pro-Style.

We can utilize all of the same running concepts only with a more athletic guy who not only can get on his blocks quicker but can come out of the backfield and create mismatches.

Advertisement
Back