How Do You Criticize?

[]_[] swag

Sophomore
How do you guys legitimately criticize and **** on a kid for leaving early to get paid? What possible reason could a kid like Coley have for coming back to play another year? The occasional academically motivated student has a valid reason for staying, and you can see a player on a great team coming back to try to win big. But what actual reason do you guys give for someone like Coley being an idiot for going Pro?

I'm a pretty well off guy and if my kid was just skating by academically and had a chance to play in the NFL, which Stacy will after his combine, I would push the kid hard to go pro and get paid.

Advertisement
He will get paid more if he waits. Also, you only get to go to college with your peers once. What's the rush? Get your degree, improve your stock, and then go pro! Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, Antrel Rolle, and other legendary Canes Played four years, why can't this inconsistent one play one more and help us and himself?

If he has to get paid something right now, go for it ( ripping himself off tho) but if he could make it another year and showcase his attributes throughout a full year it could be the difference in millions of dollars.

It's not even remotely difficult to understand that people are criticizing the decision. These threads and replies are pure straw men and need to stop. This is basically the new "Superfan." Declare all who criticize a decision as not in someone's best interests, as trashing the kid. Get a grip on reality.

Or better yet, just kick rocks if people aren't actually going to read the content of critical posts, and instead just decide it's "trashing." Nevermind the completely different tones of discussion for Burns leaving vs. Coley leaving.

Last edited:
Nobody is ripping players that are ready. Artie Burns should go. But Coley has yet to put together a full year. He was completely absent for a year and a half. It's not smart for him or AQM. Corn is iffy.

Advertisement
I'm just saying if it was me I'd be going pro no question. You can improve just as well in the NFL as in college, might as well get paid in the mean time.

If you want to rip somebody, rip whatever unscrupulous agent has gotten in this kid's year and is feeding him bs so he can sign another client and get a quick payday.

Blame people that think kid isn't ready to leave and is making a longterm financial mistake. Then blame the school for "exploiting" the same kid if he washes out of the NFL early, has no degree and didn't make any lifechanging money because he wasn't ready to turn pro to begin with.

That scenario happens wayyyyy more often than the kid that stays in college too long and suffers a career ending injury.

Advertisement
Average nfl career is about 2 years. Enter draft too early and end up going sixth or seventh round, might make 500k total if able to last average number of years. Stay an extra year in college and work into second round, might be able to earn million plus. Become a standout and work into first round and that payday could be worth several million. Certainly can't blame a kid for wanting a payday, but it's an adult's job to speak from experience and tell the player that delayed gratification in this instance is in his best financial interest. If injury is a concern, there is insurance (although I'm not sure if schools can pay premiums). Worst case, the player finishes with a college degree.

[]_[] swag;2417006 said:
I'm just saying if it was me I'd be going pro no question. You can improve just as well in the NFL as in college, might as well get paid in the mean time.

You could do yourself more harm than good. Coley isn't ready and unless he puts destroys the combine **** be a late to UFA. Do you remember guys like Forston or streeter that left early and are now either went undrafted or went late.

All of this PLUS how many receivers will be taken this time around in the draft? It's called an intelligent decision.

He will get paid more if he waits. Also, you only get to go to college with your peers once. What's the rush? Get your degree, improve your stock, and then go pro! Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, Antrel Rolle, and other legendary Canes Played four years, why can't this inconsistent one play one more and help us and himself?

If you declare for the NFL, you better be ready.

From what I have seen so far, he seems like a risky draft pick. He can't stay on the field, he gets hot-headed penalties, and he hasn't been consistent. If he comes back and plays his senior year like how a professional would play, he has the potential to be a 1st round pick. We have a consistent quarterback in Kaaya and a former quarterback as our head coach. Returning could be very beneficial for him.

Advertisement
Like people said above, he'd have to look at next year as an investment. If he plays well next year, he'll improve his draft status and signing bonus. The last thing I'd want to be coming out of of college is a bargain, which he would be, if he left now.

The list of guys that leave early to be drafted 6th or 7th round or UDFA is long. And it becomes hard to make the team. Teams wont risk much on volatile Coley. Streeter was more of a sure thing

OP you got it all wrong. Coley, is a player with great potential that has not tapped into it. Route Running is ok, hands are ok, speed is exceptional, attitude is questionable. Simply put it's not an insult as i'm sure even you would agree with that asseement. Now with that being the case leaving early to the NFL is a bad idea. Draft stock will be low and he runs the risk of flaming out in the NFL quick. High draft picks often last longer on teams while under performing than low picks. So unless he tears it up immediately his career will be in jeapordy. If he couldn't stay healthy and dominate the ACC how is he going to dominate the NFL?

Bottomline is this kids got it all ****ed up. Leaving early is only for true studs who are inevitable first rounder picks like Clowny and Gurley not for middle of the pack guys.

Advertisement
[]_[] swag;2416983 said:
How do you guys legitimately criticize and **** on a kid for leaving early to get paid? What possible reason could a kid like Coley have for coming back to play another year? The occasional academically motivated student has a valid reason for staying, and you can see a player on a great team coming back to try to win big. But what actual reason do you guys give for someone like Coley being an idiot for going Pro?

I'm a pretty well off guy and if my kid was just skating by academically and had a chance to play in the NFL, which Stacy will after his combine, I would push the kid hard to go pro and get paid.

You must don't understand how the NFL works. It is all about the guarantee. Stacy Coley has a chance to be a first round draft pick. First round picks come with guaranteed money. When teams invest that kind of money in you they don't cut you. Whether you amount to anything you would leave with about 20 million in your pocket. A first round draft pick gets a 4 year contract worth about 10 million and a signing bonus of about 5 million

Leaving school to get drafted 3rd or 4th round comes with no guarantee. Your signing bonus is a few thousand dollars right around 500k. Slip to the 5th round and you only looking at a signing bonus of 150k.

I don't care what you do in life it would make one a fool not to want their full value. Coley would be playing in the NFL for pennies on the dollar.

Average nfl career is about 2 years. Enter draft too early and end up going sixth or seventh round, might make 500k total if able to last average number of years. Stay an extra year in college and work into second round, might be able to earn million plus. Become a standout and work into first round and that payday could be worth several million. Certainly can't blame a kid for wanting a payday, but it's an adult's job to speak from experience and tell the player that delayed gratification in this instance is in his best financial interest. If injury is a concern, there is insurance (although I'm not sure if schools can pay premiums). Worst case, the player finishes with a college degree.

Additionally, that 2 years is weighted heavily by the late round and UDFA kids. Early round kids get more time and chances because that draft pick has value and teams do not give up easy on them. Late round and free agents, even if they get a second year, are easier to cut unless they really perform. The dollar differences between early and late rounds is not what it use to be because to the CBA. Now the move is get to the second contract as quickly as possible.

I think most rational people would agree that Duke Johnson's draft stock last year would end up being substantially higher than Coley's this year. Well take a look at Duke's contract- the 77th overall pick. All that's guaranteed is the signing bonus (or his 1st year salary of an equivalent sum- that wasn't clear) and then factor in high tax rates, agent fees and living expenses. Even as an early 3rd rounder you're not seeing anything near "set-for-life" money. I don't know Coley's family situation but it does seem insane for anyone with possible 1st or 2nd round potential to ever try to grab the quick payday early unless your circumstance absolutely necessitates it.

Screenshot_2015-12-08-08-27-30-1.jpg

Advertisement
Back