How do Manny's teams show up in zombie costumes for the beginning of so many games?

LoungeLord

Junior
Manny looks to be a rah-rah type of coach. He obviously bleeds green and orange, seems to be a players coach, etc. One would think he'd have the team pumped and ready to go if he is infectious with his attitude in any way. Yet many weeks we found ourselves getting shell shocked in quarter one, then having to climb our way out of a big hole for the rest of the game.

Most of this board seemed to look at this as a positive for having the character to fight back in the wins. But win or lose, I don't ever remember a team consistently looking less prepared when the opening whistle sounds. That's an issue. This goes twice as much for Manny and his bi-week record. What's the disconnect between Manny's talk of great practices, big speeches, and fired up attitude and then the team coming out laying a giant **** until at some point they wake up to try and claw back a victory. Two years of this now. Will it be three? Is this 100% on Manny, or is this on this group of players? It seems to be a really bizarre problem that keeps rearing up with no sign of a fix, ala the bowl game zombie attack of quarter one.

Advertisement
Manny looks to be a rah-rah type of coach. He obviously bleeds green and orange, seems to be a players coach, etc. One would think he'd have the team pumped and ready to go if he is infectious with his attitude in any way. Yet many weeks we found ourselves getting shell shocked in quarter one, then having to climb our way out of a big hole for the rest of the game.

Most of this board seemed to look at this as a positive for having the character to fight back in the wins. But win or lose, I don't ever remember a team consistently looking less prepared when the opening whistle sounds. That's an issue. This goes twice as much for Manny and his bi-week record. What's the disconnect between Manny's talk of great practices, big speeches, and fired up attitude and then the team coming out laying a giant **** until at some point they wake up to try and claw back a victory. Two years of this now. Will it be three? Is this 100% on Manny, or is this on this group of players? It seems to be a really bizarre problem that keeps rearing up with no sign of a fix, ala the bowl game zombie attack of quarter one.
I have kind of an odd but maybe apt analogy for this. So, I'm a performing musician. I've had many teachers and mentors, both great and not so great. The great ones made me want to practice, made me want to work so that when the performance came, I was as prepared as I could possibly be physically and mentally. At no time did I feel like anything they said the day of a performance actually affected my performance. The preparation happens weeks and months before. You can't just Harold Hill your way through gameday and expect to be great.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Take a look at some other first quarter scores from bowls around the country.

It's coaching. It appears to me that we are often surprised at the beginning of games. That goes to preparation. It does seem that this staff is able to make adjustments (sans the UNC game) through the game so that's a plus but it also appears to me that other teams are able to dictate the course of the game better than our guys.

Advertisement
OP: Miami too often looks unprepared in opening quarters, leading me to believe there is a general preparedness issue.

QP: there is some evidence that some other teams have had bad opening quarters.

Logicians everywhere: rolleye

The point was about bowl games in general.

We gave up 14 points or less in the first half of seven of our first 9 games. Single digits in six.

Let me guess, eye roll?

Take a look at some other first quarter scores from bowls around the country.
You're right. I noticed in most of the bowl games I watched from around the country that one team would jump out to a 2-3td lead in the first quarter. Only one team came back to win the game, Georgia. So it's a problem not unique to our squad but of course we pay more attention to our Canes and therefore critique them harder.

This is a very underrated flaw of our current regime IMO. We don't talk about this enough.
Many times we come out flat, especially on defense. I can't even count how many times we've let opposing teams march right down the field on us in the opening drive of the game. I'm pretty sure it happens just about every time we kick-off to start the game.

It looks like we just show up without having watched any film.

Advertisement

We gave up 14 points or less in the first half of seven of our first 9 games. Single digits in six.

Let me guess, eye roll?
you really need to focus on games against legit opponents. counting games against crap teams obfuscates the issues. In any case if you want to disagree with the point the OP made, your retort wasn’t a logically sound way to do it. that was my point.

This is a very underrated flaw of our current regime IMO. We don't talk about this enough.
Many times we come out flat, especially on defense. I can't even count how many times we've let opposing teams march right down the field on us in the opening drive of the game. I'm pretty sure it happens just about every time we kick-off to start the game.

It looks like we just show up without having watched any film.
its clear were unprepared and poorly coached in so many ways. you have to wonder how we spend time in practice. something isn’t translating.

Let me guess, eye roll?
wait your protecting the staph? Im trying to find out what u mean here. If u are thats incredible that u will sink with the ship then slurp the next HC.

Am I reading your post wrong? If I am I apologize, im super confused here my 5th grade reading comprehension isn't working here

Advertisement
you really need to focus on games against legit opponents. counting games against crap teams obfuscates the issues. In any case if you want to disagree with the point the OP made, your retort wasn’t a logically sound way to do it. that was my point.

OP didn’t make any such argument. He made it appear a constant occurrence, just like you did.

wait your protecting the staph? Im trying to find out what u mean here. If u are thats incredible that u will sink with the ship then slurp the next HC.

Am I reading your post wrong? If I am I apologize, im super confused here my 5th grade reading comprehension isn't working here

Yes you are reading it wrong. I’m not defending anyone, I’m pointing out that the OP’s post is factually incorrect. We have enough legit things to worry about and this dude’s hot takes.

Advertisement
Back