How are we getting to a 20 man class?

hawaiicane

Thunderdome
Right now, we are at 83 (I'm including Dillard so if he doesnt qualify, we will be at 82). We have 11 seniors graduating. That adds up to 13 open schollies for the 2013 class.

So to get to 20 kids in the 2013 class, we should have at least 7 attrition by transfers, early NFL departures, etc.

So which non-SRs do you all think wont be back in 2013 to make room?

Attrition is harder to predict this year than years before, since many of the leftovers Shammin cancers have already been jettisoned. And the easy-lowhanging fruit to get rid of are already seniors (eg Davon Johnson, Thompkins) so letting them go wont help us make more room for 2013.

This is my list to watch:

1 QB. Either Ryan leaves after getting beat out by Morris. Or Thompson could decide to choose one sport to stick to after his torn shoulder injury.

3 TEs. With 3 TE commits already, we are projected to have 8 TEs on the roster in 2013. This is stupid of course. To make room for 3, we lose White and Dye who are 4th years anyway, and let go of Perry. That gives us 5 for 2013 - perfect.

1 DT. Either Porter plays well and leaves early (he's a 4th year JR) for the NFL or Robinson's suspect attitude heads south and we give valuable playing time to the youngsters.

2 DEs. We're overloaded at DE and we have no seniors. We'd be stupid to carry NINE DEs for 2013 plus whatever FR we get (ie Tim Williams). Both Cain and Greene are the lowest hanging fruit here. Cain hasnt done much of anything and Greene is made of glass.

1 LB. With Gaines being a 4th year JR, if he is overtaken in the depth charts by the younger up and comers, he could be asked to graduate. Or the Armbrister experiment at LB could meet a quick end.

This is 8 attrition, i just realized. Retain 1 kid from this list and you will have your 7.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think we will clean house again after the 2012 season. I see atleast 17 kids that will most likely be gone by next year, some of which should transfer and some that maybe asked to graduate early. I even see some kids from the 2011 class being told to move on to tell you the truth. On top of that I expect a possible grey shirt here and there, but we shall see. I expect this to happen for the simple reason that sanctions are coming. You prepare for the worst, and why I am paying attention to what SC does this year. SO far they seem to have weathered the storm, and while I know the worst is still ahead for them in terms of depth in the next couple of years, the more they are successful, we can use that as a precedence that we can still be good even with sanctions. Golden can sell recruits that even if we get hit, we can still be fine, and use SC as exhibit A.

Linder and Henderson I can see leaving early with big seasons. I also agree on 1 of the QB's not being here next year, and I find it hard to believe we'll hold on to all these DB's. Somebody will transfer, most likely because of lack of P/T.

Last edited:
To predict this before the season is crazy because we don't know who steps up this year and who fades on the depth chart. Guess that's what a message board is for but I'll wait until season is over.

Fwiw we don't have many true 4-3 DEs, a lot of those guys are hybrids.

Henderson working hard to put on his pre-NFL show this year.

He has a decent season, he's gone.

Advertisement
To predict this before the season is crazy because we don't know who steps up this year and who fades on the depth chart. Guess that's what a message board is for but I'll wait until season is over.

Fwiw we don't have many true 4-3 DEs, a lot of those guys are hybrids.

Your so right ,but i'm game :fistbump:

D. Perry*- DE move to TE ,buried 4th TE on depth chart
J. Alexis*-DT move to C , Alexis may survive the cut ,but the time is now
H. Wells*- Is he still here.The jury is still out on Well ,but there still hope.
R. Williams*- still need to gain weight
SR.C. White*-always injury ,This is his make it or break it year
SR.L. Robinson*- most produce in 2012, career on the line...
D. Thompson - money and baseball

If you're going to cut a kid, first thing to consider is what kind of teammate is and does he do what he's asked. Does he follow the rules, or is he in trouble. Was he recruited by Golden, or Shannon? Golden will probably want to keep his own guys.

Next, better to cut an out-of-stater than to risk straining the relationships with local coaches. Also, fourth year guys who have had an opportunity to graduate.

Here's my take...

HOT SEAT---

Shayon Green --> Redshirt Junior from Georgia, recruited by Shannon, hasn't done much. Really better show out this year
Seantreal Henderson ---> Probably go to the NFL, so not really on the "hot seat" except to say I don't expect him to be back.
Dyron Dye ---> Redshirt Junior from Sanford FL, recruited by Shannon as a DE, hasn't really played here, and he's been in some trouble if I recall.
Cory White ---> Redshirt Junior from Florida, recruited by Shannon, not really Miami material.

LOOK OUT ---

Kelvin Cain --> Junior from California, recruited by Shannon, hasn't done much. Better show out this year.
Tyrone Cornelius --> Junior from Georgia, recruited by Shannon, undersized and hasn't seen the field.
James Gaines ---> Junior from New York, recruited by Shannon, hasn't played all that well, but has seen playing time. Needs to play well.
Jermaine Johnson --> Redshirt Junior from Florida, recruited by Shannon, hasn't played much, competing for playing time this year. Could be one who needs to step up.
Jared Wheeler ----> Redshirt Junior from Florida, recruited by Shannon, and I don't think he has very good strength numbers. Could be battling it out with Jermaine Johnson, like an episode of Survivor.

DOUBTFUL TO BE CUT, BUT KEEP AN EYE OUT --

Kacey Rodgers ---> Junior from Texas, recruited by Shannon, hasn't shown much on the field. I hear he's had a good offseason, but if he doesn't perform...maybe?
Curtis Porter ----> Junior from North Carolina, recruited by shannon. Doubtful he is cut because IMO he played well last year. But possible.
Luther Robinson --> Redshirt Junior from Florida, but hasn't done much, and has had an opportunity to earn degree.
Maurice Hagans --> Junior from Florida. Low chance of getting cut.
AJ Highsmith ---> Junior from Florida, hasn't done much, but his dad is a legacy, so doubtful he'll be cut

Last edited:
... we should have at least 7 attrition by transfers, early NFL departures, etc...

7 is too high. Golden has said several times that the 2013 class will be 15-17. I don't understand why some people don't believe him or perhaps think they know better than he does. There just aren't that many Jrs that have a snow ball's chance in **** of being drafted high enough or drafted at all to warrant leaving. They will learn from what happened to this past year's poor decision makers. They all also know that 2013 will be the year to make a run for an NC.

Advertisement
I'd be surprised if we signed 20 this class. I'm expecting around 15-18.

How'd you come up with 20?

Both Golden and Carroll have been quoted as indicating 20 as the max class. One of them said 17-20 and the other said "up to 20" IIRC. These statements are months old however and could be subject to change. ****, Witt leaving and Dillard not qualifying happened after these statements so we could actually see two more added to this class but i'm not holding my breath on 22.

Some of you guys are listing starters. Jeezus.

Part of being Miami is that at least 2-3 underclassmen will jump pro. Bank on it, whether they're good enough to do so or not. At least 4 kids will be gone for other reasons - grades, behavior, trimming the roster, get beaten out & angry, etc. The #s will work out, they always do.

Advertisement

Part of being Miami is that at least 2-3 underclassmen will jump pro. Bank on it, whether they're good enough to do so or not. At least 4 kids will be gone for other reasons - grades, behavior, trimming the roster, get beaten out & angry, etc. The #s will work out, they always do.

Well said.

If you're going to cut a kid, first thing to consider is what kind of teammate is and does he do what he's asked. Does he follow the rules, or is he in trouble. Was he recruited by Golden, or Shannon? Golden will probably want to keep his own guys.

Next, better to cut an out-of-stater than to risk straining the relationships with local coaches. Also, fourth year guys who have had an opportunity to graduate.

Here's my take...

HOT SEAT---

Shayon Green --> Redshirt Junior from Georgia, recruited by Shannon, hasn't done much. Really better show out this year
Seantreal Henderson ---> Probably go to the NFL, so not really on the "hot seat" except to say I don't expect him to be back.
Dyron Dye ---> Redshirt Junior from Sanford FL, recruited by Shannon as a DE, hasn't really played here, and he's been in some trouble if I recall.
Cory White ---> Redshirt Junior from Florida, recruited by Shannon, not really Miami material.

LOOK OUT ---

Kelvin Cain --> Junior from California, recruited by Shannon, hasn't done much. Better show out this year.
Tyrone Cornelius --> Junior from Georgia, recruited by Shannon, undersized and hasn't seen the field.
James Gaines ---> Junior from New York, recruited by Shannon, hasn't played all that well, but has seen playing time. Needs to play well.
Jermaine Johnson --> Redshirt Junior from Florida, recruited by Shannon, hasn't played much, competing for playing time this year. Could be one who needs to step up.
Jared Wheeler ----> Redshirt Junior from Florida, recruited by Shannon, and I don't think he has very good strength numbers. Could be battling it out with Jermaine Johnson, like an episode of Survivor.

DOUBTFUL TO BE CUT, BUT KEEP AN EYE OUT --

Kacey Rodgers ---> Junior from Texas, recruited by Shannon, hasn't shown much on the field. I hear he's had a good offseason, but if he doesn't perform...maybe?
Curtis Porter ----> Junior from North Carolina, recruited by shannon. Doubtful he is cut because IMO he played well last year. But possible.
Luther Robinson --> Redshirt Junior from Florida, but hasn't done much, and has had an opportunity to earn degree.
Maurice Hagans --> Junior from Florida. Low chance of getting cut.
AJ Highsmith ---> Junior from Florida, hasn't done much, but his dad is a legacy, so doubtful he'll be cut

Wow at some of you guys...

Kacey Rodgers is potentially our starting safety this year. Maurice Hagens is our starting fullback. Porter is our best DT. Jermaine Johnson and Wheeler are leaving...wow man. Shayon Green is our starting DE, and Gaines is a starting LB and one of the leaders of he defense. This list is just dumb. Cain has been solid and will be our first hybrid DE. How do you see these guys getting booted?

Also I don't see Linder leaving early. He is smart enough to know that another year of developing and gaining strength will only increase his draft stock. OL is one of the positions that it is most beneficial to spend as much time developing in college before you leave.

Last edited:
I didnt say these guys were getting booted, i'm just saying IF we need to cut some kids, these would be on the short list.

Shayon Green is not set as a starter. He needs to earn that spot. A couple of those tight ends (Dye and White) too.

Advertisement
I didnt say these guys were getting booted, i'm just saying IF we need to cut some kids, these would be on the short list.

Shayon Green is not set as a starter. He needs to earn that spot. A couple of those tight ends (Dye and White) too.

+1000. Kid's body is made of glass. If he suffers yet another serious injury, do you all think we're gonna ask him to come back for 2013 knowing we've got a million guys behind him itching to play?? lol. We'll thank him for his services and ask him to graduate.

This entire thread was just designed to get people thinking about our roster.

So 6 or possibly 7 of our starters or two-deep this season are on the short list to be cut? Got it.

+1

I'm sure the COACHING STAFF will figure it out. Maybe the COACHING STAFF fells it's not "stupid" to have an abundance of tight ends on the roster. I remember and can bring up posts of people saying hunter wells and Junior Alexis where going to get cut THIS YEAR, like it was fact. How did that work out?

Advertisement
Back