HOT TAKE: 3 sophomores on D who will not start against BCU

rok

N-U-D-E-S-I-N-B-I-O
Pinckney: For reasons not unknown, Pinckney will have to miss the first half against Bethune because of a suspension related to a penalty in the bowl game. Still, Owens was the starter throughout the spring and will continue to push Pinckney throughout camp.

Young: Young came on strong towards the end of 2016 and was the top CB during the spring. But Delaney and Dean provide length, speed, tackling and maturity that will shine through once camp begins. Young would get the first look as nickel CB in this scenario.

Jackson: Had it not been for Harris breaking his hand during camp last year, there's a good chance he would've been the starter ahead of D. Jackson early on. By the bowl game, J. Jackson had earned the right to start and seemingly hasn't given up that spot. However, something tells me that Harris will get the nod as the starter because of his dependability and stoutness against the run.

So there you have it.

Three players who each enjoyed success as true freshmen, only to be outdone during camp by upperclassmen with something to prove.

Thoughts? Upvotes?

Advertisement
Pinckney: For reasons not unknown, Pinckney will have to miss the first half against Bethune because of a suspension related to a penalty in the bowl game. Still, Owens was the starter throughout the spring and will continue to push Pinckney throughout camp.

Young: Young came on strong towards the end of 2016 and was the top CB during the spring. But Delaney and Dean provide length, speed, tackling and maturity that will shine through once camp begins. Young would get the first look as nickel CB in this scenario.

Jackson: Had it not been for Harris breaking his hand during camp last year, there's a good chance he would've been the starter ahead of D. Jackson early on. By the bowl game, J. Jackson had earned the right to start and seemingly hasn't given up that spot. However, something tells me that Harris will get the nod as the starter because of his dependability and stoutness against the run.

So there you have it.

Three players who each enjoyed success as true freshmen, only to be outdone during camp by upperclassmen with something to prove.

Thoughts? Upvotes?

Nope, just a downvote

giphy.gif

So there you have it.

Thoughts? Upvotes?

Nope, just a downvote

Thanks for your readership!

So there you have it.

Thoughts? Upvotes?

Nope, just a downvote

Thanks for your readership!

See you next time!

Advertisement
1) is obvious

2) young has more experience at the D-1 level than both of those guys put together & if he wins the nickel spot doesn't that qualify him as a starter?

3) Jackson is our best pass rushing DE you don't keep a future first rounder on the benchfor high quality backup

I agree with you on Pinckney. I don't see him starting the first game.

Young will start. Can't see Dean displacing him.

Good call on Toolbox though. He's a feisty guy with skills. He's a better DE than the bloated D. Jackson. He's going to make Joe Jackson earn that spot.

Now this is what you call a "Hot Take"...

For all you amateurs that try to merge into Rok's lane, this is how it's done.

If Al was still around, the Toolbox Trent call would have a chance. According to the Defensive coaches last year, starting in the secondary is contingent upon tackling ability. It is my understanding that tackling is where Dean needs to grow the most.

Advertisement
I agree with you on Pinckney. I don't see him starting the first game.

Young will start. Can't see Dean displacing him.

Good call on Toolbox though. He's a feisty guy with skills. He's a better DE than the bloated D. Jackson. He's going to make Joe Jackson earn that spot.

D.Jackson is the ****mbe Muntumbo of our defense. Dude swats all the passes.

(1) Everybody knows this

(2) Young will either be a starter at one of the cb spots or nickel

(3) You're High

Last edited:
I'd call the nickel cb a starter with the amount of time 3 Cbs will be on the field.
and you can say Harris will be "starter" over JJackson, which I doubt, but they will likely get about the same amount of snaps anyways.
And I can see Pinckney not starting over Owens at least early on, but again, Pinckney is going to get a lot of PT regardless.

1. Agreed.

This term "starter" is not the same as it used to be - as our coaches want a good, equitable rotation - so no one has to hold back or save anything. They want fresh players with their ears laid back - each and every play.

To wit: the fresher and more violently aggressive - the more TFL, and sacks - while playing maybe half the number of plays. It's to each players benefit - stat-wise, and to the team's benefit as well.

Advertisement
I know what the "hot takes" are all about, but....

Pickney?

attachment-1.gif

Young?

giphy (2).gif

Jackson?

tenor (1).jpg

I effin love this site more everyday. Canes fans simply the best of all extremes. In this thread alone we have awesome common sense, total dummasss, and pure comedic gold. I love all of yahss

Advertisement
These are good hot takes that should stir up real football conversations.

Nice work, Rok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back