Horrific Linebacking Play

twalcott5

Freshman
Our LB's play has been horrific this year, specially yesterday. We are just dropping our LB's a few yards off of the line of scrimmage, plugging the wrong holes and just plainly not attacking the offense. What the **** happened to the attacking defense of last year? What happened to the blitzes?, to keeping the offense guessing? Mixing coverages? Attack, attack, attack!!! Seems like we line our LB's in regular NFL depth and expect then to play ball. How many yards did we give up to Toledo? FSU?, etc. What we are doing is not working and we are going to have major issues with G Tech, ND and V Tech. Thank God with have Rozier on our side!!

Advertisement
Yep they're missing way too many easy tackles....the entire front 7 needs to find the runner...no need to panic tho....it can be fixed!

The whole mind set of the the front 7 will change this week when we play GT .They will play the run almost exclusively and I think that will make a difference --it better .GT will exploit every weakness we have vs the run

Yep they're missing way too many easy tackles....the entire front 7 needs to find the runner...no need to panic tho....it can be fixed!

Easy tackles are easy to fix. **** they are just not finding where the ball is and when they do is way too late.

Easy tackles are easy to fix. **** they are just not finding where the ball is and when they do is way too late.

Something has changed with Diaz' defensive philosophy this year. Quit thinking so **** much and just attack, attack, attack just like FSU did.

Advertisement
It's not just missed tackles, the are running into (not avoiding blocks), over pursuing, missing gap assignments. On almost every big running we have given up you will see the D front do their job and get penetration only to have no one there to fill the whole. All 3 LB's have digressed. It's amazing.

It's not just missed tackles, the are running into (not avoiding blocks), over pursuing, missing gap assignments. On almost every big running we have given up you will see the D front do their job and get penetration only to have no one there to fill the whole. All 3 LB's have digressed. It's amazing.

Agree, their digression from the detail of the defensive game plan has led to their regression in on the field play.:confusion:

Something has changed with Diaz' defensive philosophy this year. Quit thinking so **** much and just attack, attack, attack just like FSU did.

Do you even know what you’re talking about?

Do that against GT, and they’ll run for over 600 yds in the game.

LB’s have to play disciplined assignment football, locate the ball, stay with their man on the pitch, and not get caught over-pursuing or over-attacking, or GT runs will run wild all afternoon.

You people sometimes.

You do not want to "attack, attack, attack" Gtech. You want to play disciplined assignment football.

Advertisement
Even with all the criticism of the D, we still haven't lost a game. Would have liked them to have made the end of the Rally in Tally less exciting, but they were on the field for eons, and the blown coverages were due to a backup safety who doesn't look ready to play. D is playing fast and aggressive, trying to get turnovers. A little reckless and giving up tons of yards, but not points. I think the GT game the D will be focused less on forcing turnovers and more on playing sound, disciplined football. Would be more worried if we hadn't seen it yet, but we know they are capable of playing better.

First as already mentioned, that aint gonna work against GT. You dont get cute with GT, line up in a base defense and play assignment football. Also, the problem with the statement of attack attack attack, is that is what they did against FSU and they lost containment against Patrick multiple times. Our OLB was usually being over aggressive, so when the RB busted it outside there was nobody there.

We just beat fsu in tally in the last seconds of the game ripping their little hearts out. Nothing is horrific. Defense keep us in game until offense could get moving and then offense won it in a shoot out at the OK corral. Perfect.

Advertisement
If we attack attack on GT there going to kill us with there option offense. They have to play disciplined football against them. Most teams that play GT assign players to to a specific GT player such as the FB QB and RB and make them stick with them every play I wonder if we will do that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i think part of the problem yesterday was just that the adrenaline was really flowing in that game and so you saw aggression becoming over aggression, and so the LBs were flying to the ball and missing gaps and also missing tackles because they were trying to lay every player out -- there was a play in the second half in FSU territory where shaq blew right past the line and had akers for a loss but didn't even try and wrap up (one of the d linemen cleaned it up tho). i suspect they'll be better next week and they haven't been horrific anyway.

Advertisement
You do not want to "attack, attack, attack" Gtech. You want to play disciplined assignment football.

He's not talking about Georgia Tech. Everyone knows they are unique. He is speaking in general. He's not asking Diaz to attack GT.

Also I agree that the LB play as a whole has been underwhelming to say the least. Shaq has played well in spots as has Pinckney but there has been no consistency in their play. McCloud has been terrible this year and that is a fact. I'm starting to get the distict impression that it is much more to do with scheme.

Diaz's scheme is hyper aggressive but it can be reckless and fundamentally unsound in certain areas. This is not helping the LBs in their development. There are so many examples of guys hitting the wrong gap or leaving their gap. Also I think that Diaz kept it relatively simple last year and the difference from this year seems to be that Diaz installed his entire defense last Spring thinking that with a year of experience under their belt that the defense would be able to grasp everything and still play fast. Obviously that is not what happened as we have seen multiple examples of player confusion on defense. Diaz needs to simplify. He doesnt need to get so **** cute.

Last edited:

True story...I saw Joe Jackson get completely turned around (On His Own) and lost contain on the RB. By the time he found the runner he was 5 yards up the field. I was like gotttttdamnit.

He's not talking about Georgia Tech. Everyone knows they are unique. He is speaking in general. He's not asking Diaz to attack GT.

Also I agree that the LB play as a whole has been underwhelming to say the least. Shaq has played well in spots as has Pinckney but there has been no consistency in their play. McCloud has been terrible this year and that is a fact. I'm starting to get the distict impression that it is much more to do with scheme.

Diaz's scheme is hyper aggressive but it can be reckless and fundamentally unsound in certain areas. This is not helping the LBs in their development. There are so many examples of guys hitting the wrong gap or leaving their gap. Also I think that Diaz kept it relatively simple last year and the difference from this year seems to be that Diaz installed his entire defense last Spring thinking that with a year of experience under their belt that the defense would be able to grasp everything and still play fast. Obviously that is not what happened as we have seen multiple examples of player confusion on defense. Diaz needs to simplify. He doesnt need to get so **** cute.

Pretty much this. And the problem is, this is who Diaz is as a coach. He won’t simplify; he did it last year out of necessity, but the man seems too crazy to realize keeping things simple allows this defense to play smarter and faster. We’ve seen these hyper aggressive, unsound defenses everywhere he’s coached, and it’s what got him fired midseason at Texas. What we are seeing is the reason many of us were terrified of this hire, and I don’t think Diaz is our long term answer as DC at Miami

He’s never played the game, so he’s constantly trying to prove he belongs by showing how much he knows. I’m not a fan; wish we could’ve gotten a guy like Don Brown

IMO Joe Jackson hasn't taken that next step. He tries to bullrush on nearly every play. He runs directly at the OL rarely using his speed or length to get around slower OL. He doesn't use many moves or his his hands much. I expected him to be a beast and he plays like he is just a rotation player. IMO, D Jack is a more effective pass rusher (either outside or inside) than Jackson. When I heard a report that he and McDermott were playing to a standstill at Fall practices I knew there was cause for concern.

Advertisement
Back