Horrific Linebacking Play

You do not want to "attack, attack, attack" Gtech. You want to play disciplined assignment football.

He's not talking about Georgia Tech. Everyone knows they are unique. He is speaking in general. He's not asking Diaz to attack GT.

Also I agree that the LB play as a whole has been underwhelming to say the least. Shaq has played well in spots as has Pinckney but there has been no consistency in their play. McCloud has been terrible this year and that is a fact. I'm starting to get the distict impression that it is much more to do with scheme.

Diaz's scheme is hyper aggressive but it can be reckless and fundamentally unsound in certain areas. This is not helping the LBs in their development. There are so many examples of guys hitting the wrong gap or leaving their gap. Also I think that Diaz kept it relatively simple last year and the difference from this year seems to be that Diaz installed his entire defense last Spring thinking that with a year of experience under their belt that the defense would be able to grasp everything and still play fast. Obviously that is not what happened as we have seen multiple examples of player confusion on defense. Diaz needs to simplify. He doesnt need to get so **** cute.

Pretty much this. And the problem is, this is who Diaz is as a coach. He won’t simplify; he did it last year out of necessity, but the man seems too crazy to realize keeping things simple allows this defense to play smarter and faster. We’ve seen these hyper aggressive, unsound defenses everywhere he’s coached, and it’s what got him fired midseason at Texas. What we are seeing is the reason many of us were terrified of this hire, and I don’t think Diaz is our long term answer as DC at Miami

He’s never played the game, so he’s constantly trying to prove he belongs by showing how much he knows. I’m not a fan; wish we could’ve gotten a guy like Don Brown

Step away from the ledge. Now you want Diaz gone? LOL. Great. And what does him never playing football have to do with anything? Cheap shot. Thats like people who say if you didnt play sports you shouldnt be allowed to analyze or critique it via journalism or media outlets.

That D kept us in the game. No matter how you slice it. We wouldnt have won if the D hadnt let the game get out of hand in the first 3 quarters. Our O wasnt doing **** up until the middle of the 3rd **** near...

The problems we have can be fixed. And I fully expect our D to put on a dominating performance on Saturday against GTech.

Advertisement
We will lose if we continue to play out of our gaps like we have all season. Gap assignment has been terrible in stopping the run, and we are playing one of the best rushing offenses in the country.

I sincerely think the whole team will settle down now, they've gotten that big monkey off their back and will now focus on the job at hand.
It seem pretty evident guys have been pressing at times.
It's going to be interesting to see how they respond having everything they want right in front of them, we've seen this scenario a few times and we blew it. We only have two road games left both extremely winnable, everything else is at home.

IMO Joe Jackson hasn't taken that next step. He tries to bullrush on nearly every play. He runs directly at the OL rarely using his speed or length to get around slower OL. He doesn't use many moves or his his hands much. I expected him to be a beast and he plays like he is just a rotation player. IMO, D Jack is a more effective pass rusher (either outside or inside) than Jackson. When I heard a report that he and McDermott were playing to a standstill at Fall practices I knew there was cause for concern.

He had 6 QB pressures against FSU and was arguably our best DE given the impact those hurries had on the game.

You do not want to "attack, attack, attack" Gtech. You want to play disciplined assignment football.

He's not talking about Georgia Tech. Everyone knows they are unique. He is speaking in general. He's not asking Diaz to attack GT.

Also I agree that the LB play as a whole has been underwhelming to say the least. Shaq has played well in spots as has Pinckney but there has been no consistency in their play. McCloud has been terrible this year and that is a fact. I'm starting to get the distict impression that it is much more to do with scheme.

Diaz's scheme is hyper aggressive but it can be reckless and fundamentally unsound in certain areas. This is not helping the LBs in their development. There are so many examples of guys hitting the wrong gap or leaving their gap. Also I think that Diaz kept it relatively simple last year and the difference from this year seems to be that Diaz installed his entire defense last Spring thinking that with a year of experience under their belt that the defense would be able to grasp everything and still play fast. Obviously that is not what happened as we have seen multiple examples of player confusion on defense. Diaz needs to simplify. He doesnt need to get so **** cute.

Pretty much this. And the problem is, this is who Diaz is as a coach. He won’t simplify; he did it last year out of necessity, but the man seems too crazy to realize keeping things simple allows this defense to play smarter and faster. We’ve seen these hyper aggressive, unsound defenses everywhere he’s coached, and it’s what got him fired midseason at Texas. What we are seeing is the reason many of us were terrified of this hire, and I don’t think Diaz is our long term answer as DC at Miami

He’s never played the game, so he’s constantly trying to prove he belongs by showing how much he knows. I’m not a fan; wish we could’ve gotten a guy like Don Brown

Step away from the ledge. Now you want Diaz gone? LOL. Great. And what does him never playing football have to do with anything? Cheap shot. Thats like people who say if you didnt play sports you shouldnt be allowed to analyze or critique it via journalism or media outlets.

That D kept us in the game. No matter how you slice it. We wouldnt have won if the D hadnt let the game get out of hand in the first 3 quarters. Our O wasnt doing **** up until the middle of the 3rd **** near...

The problems we have can be fixed. And I fully expect our D to put on a dominating performance on Saturday against GTech.
[MENTION=2324]Jassid82[/MENTION]

Nobody is on a ledge my friend. I don't think anybody is trying to take anything from the defense. Those kids played with intensity and purpose and kept us in the game for over 3 quarters before they began to wear down due to being on the field for so long. We're just discussing a few things defensively that caught our attention. Why can't people do that on a message board without someone calling out your fandom or completely misstating your position like you did with the "Now you want Diaz gone?" line. I don't understand the need to censor or flat out discourage football discussion or any other type of critical analysis because it comes after a great win.

I don't see the Diaz related discussion above as a cry to have him fired nor would I characterize it as mopey fans miserably nitpicking and destroying the post win euphoria. It's just passionate Canes fans engaging in a little analysis.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back