Hope Coach showed this to our team...

Advertisement
WTF were we doing on defense?
Like we had statues against the pass.. more just covering area and not have any awareness for guys running around.. And we could not fall on any ball when we created a turnover opportunity, just outclassed.. On paper we did decent against the run..

WTF were we doing on defense?
Old, old school 3 deep and 3 under coverage without pattern matching. Might as well play against those large rubber dummies. We’ll see what they trot out on Saturday. I said on the podcast I’d rather get smoked man2man on the outside than watch pitch and catch again.

362A614D-F2A2-4BFB-8361-A087C64176B2.jpeg

Old, old school 3 deep and 3 under coverage without pattern matching. Might as well play against those large rubber dummies. We’ll see what they trot out on Saturday. I said on the podcast I’d rather get smoked man2man on the outside than watch pitch and catch again.

View attachment 133165
**** makes me sad.. Saw against fsu when they threw it by the endzone there was like 4-5 cane defenders covering grass while a fsu wr was wide open, qb couldnt hit him tho..

Advertisement
If Manny hasn't had the video of Dabo breaking the chain after the 2017 game, he's failed miserably. That **** would've been on a loop in the facility if I were the coach. I'd be quizzing kids randomly on what people were saying in the background while that cheating, phony *** "Christian" ****mouth was breaking the chain. That's how ingrained I'd want that nonsense in the kid's heads.
I thought they broke that chain at halftime.

Yup. It was halftime. Even more embarrassing.

Kick their ***, C-Bass.

Edit: they didn't, but tell em that.

Same thought process can be used on why we lose saturday.

Our 2017 Defense made Kelly Bryant look like a GOD.

Our 2020 Defense is not in the echelon of the 2017 defense. Bryant is nowhere near the QB stratosphere Sunshine is in.

Do the math.

I just hope we can keep it close. But crazier things have happened in 2020.
That's the thing though. The math I mean. You say "Do the math." but it really isn't possible to. The game doesn't necessarily translate from the superficial, broad stroke calculations you cited above that you call "Math".

There are far too many factors, below the surface type variables and correlations that are hidden or impossible to see at first glance.

Is their offense good? You're **** right it is. Is our defense good and capable of being excellent? Yes! Was the 2017 defense a superior unit to that of the current 2020 squad? That's impossible to tell as we are only 3 games into the season. We have no way of knowing how the 2020 defense will be judged by history until the entire season has been played. Given that, it's far to early to make a sound comparative analysis between the 2017 D and the 2020 D.

You also have to factor in how our completely transformed offense and kicking game will affect the defense, the general state of the locker room, are the players bought in? etc, etc, etc.......

Finally you have to realize that this is one game. If we were to gather every bit of related information and run it through the most sophisticated simulation program 20 times I have little doubt that Clemson wins most of the games. I'll just put out a number. For the sake of argument let's say Clemson wins 14 of those 20 simulations. I don't think many would see that as being an exaggeration. The problem is that when the teams actually meet to play on Saturday they will only play once not 20 times. Who knows what will happen in just one game. Hence the sayings...."Any given Saturday", and "That's why they play the games!".

If playing the #1 ranked team in the nation, the #1 team in our conference don’t get this team fired up, then we got bigger issues.

We don’t need to see some chit from 2017, where most of those players are not even on either squad anymore, as some motivation factor. Fck it; let’s show our 2015 game v. Clemson. I’m sure that would get these guys fired up!! ****, I’m sure Dabo is firing up the old movie reel to highlight what took place exactly 67 yrs ago in ‘53 to remind his Tigers of what could happen if they take the #7 ranked team in the nation lightly.

Lol.

Advertisement
The biggest difference is with the linebackers, but that 2017 defense didn't have a player of Phillips' or Bolden's caliber. To say this D isn't in the echelon of the 2017 D is taking it a bit far. I'll be happy to revisit this at the end of the season after our D has had a chance to play a big portion of the season with (presumably) big leads against the weaker ACC competition. We should have a chance to put up some real numbers...you can't overstate what having a dominant offense can do for your defense.
You are correct! I perhaps wouldn’t even hesitate to say that both safeties this year, Bubba and Gurvan, are better than JJ and Redwine. Bubba is elite in my opinion. O line is very good this year and we should destroy ****** teams (like FSU) instead of keeping it close with those teamlike we did in 2017 with UNC/Toledo 1H.

What you fail to point out in your "Debbie Downer of the Day" post is that our 2017 offense gassed our 2017 defense by keeping them on the field all day long. But hey, keep crying, perhaps you can use your tears as lube to rub one out to your pictures of shirtless Dabo.
Haha! Also a good point. Re-watching the 2017 game you could tell that Norton and RJ were gassed even Chad Thomas was cramping. This also happened to the 2018 defense. Sure, Gerald Willis was dominant but it’s very difficult for a defense to keep you in so many games with no help from the Offense. Hopefully Saturday will be close. Sorry for the negativity

Advertisement
You are correct! I perhaps wouldn’t even hesitate to say that both safeties this year, Bubba and Gurvan, are better than JJ and Redwine. Bubba is elite in my opinion. O line is very good this year and we should destroy ****** teams (like FSU) instead of keeping it close with those teamlike we did in 2017 with UNC/Toledo 1H.
I'd rank Gurvan as last on that list but I still think he's good. Hopefully, he becomes great.

9 players remain from the 2017 team that won 10 games and the Coastal.

Perry
Harley
Donaldson
Gaynor
Ford
McCloud
Jennings
Steed
Carter

Advertisement
Yall disappoint me every time we talk about a past game.
We played Clemson in the ACC title game with barely any firepower. We had multiple injuries at key spots and couldn't get the ball rolling on offense. Please stop acting like they blew us out because they were that good. No, we were that bad and had almost dropped 2 games before that. It was a miracle to make it as far as we did.

I'd rank Gurvan as last on that list but I still think he's good. Hopefully, he becomes great.
I wouldn’t disagree with that. I was commenting in terms of duos. 4 was special but I think bubba really elevates any safety he’s paired up with.

Yall disappoint me every time we talk about a past game.
We played Clemson in the ACC title game with barely any firepower. We had multiple injuries at key spots and couldn't get the ball rolling on offense. Please stop acting like they blew us out because they were that good. No, we were that bad and had almost dropped 2 games before that. It was a miracle to make it as far as we did.
Good point, AR82, Herndon, and Walton were out. We were lucky homer and Dallas came on in the season. Walton was never same since the Toledo game.

Advertisement
Back