Honestly think this is salvageable…

305_separatist

Threskiornithidae
Premium
…Next year, if we do *every single one* of the following:

- Go grab 2-3 dual threat or at least athletic QBs that are an actual threat to run, from either portal and HS (anywhere), and let them compete with Emory to see who can actually lead the team and step up in pivotal moments. TVD just doesn’t got it despite having most of the tools, we need to move on and develop the future.

- Raid the portal like all ****, push out all remaining Manny kids.

- Interview Guidry and Dawson for their jobs again. They can keep them, but only if they fairly and accurately review their season and own all mistakes and present plans to improve immensely on it next season.

- Hire a game management assistant and stats nerd who’s only job it is to tell Mario when to call TOs.

- Overhaul analysts and self scouting practices

What else you got

Advertisement

- Go grab 2-3 dual threat or at least athletic QBs that are an actual threat to run, from either portal and HS (anywhere), and let them compete with Emory to see who can actually lead the team and step up in pivotal moments. TVD just doesn’t got it despite having most of the tools, we need to move on and develop the future.

- Interview Guidry and Dawson for their jobs again. They can keep them, but only if they fairly and accurately review their season and own all mistakes and present plans to improve immensely on it next season.

- Hire a game management assistant and stats nerd who’s only job it is to tell Mario when to call TOs.

What else you got
Just stop doing stupid **** and it's an immediate 2-3 game improvement.

- Land a true WR1 in portal (Coleman, Tez Walker type)
- Land stud QB (or hope Emory is The One)

Honestly that's it. We certainly have other holes on roster (DT, DE, CB, etc.), Dawson needs to step his game up a but, and get Mario some gameday help but with a stud QB/WR and no more freak fumbles we're a 10+ win team. Im frustrated as f*** right now but sky is not falling

- Land a true WR1 in portal (Coleman, Tez Walker type)
- Land stud QB (or hope Emory is The One)

Honestly that's it. We certainly have other holes on roster (DT, DE, CB, etc.), Dawson needs to step his game up a but, and get Mario some gameday help but with a stud QB/WR and no more freak fumbles we're a 10+ win team. Im frustrated as f*** right now but sky is not falling
at this point that will happen when

When Pigs Fly Animation GIF by Marie Chapuis

Advertisement
at this point that will happen when

When Pigs Fly Animation GIF by Marie Chapuis
Lol. Honestly the portal has changed the game. Def requires some luck but if you hit right you're golden. Wonder how Tucker got that $95M contract? Largely because he found a back-up RB on Wake Forest who was a 1 man unstoppable show and led them to a great season. Name - Kenneth Walker 3. You might remember him destroying us. We are a good destination for portal croots (NIL, playing time, big name school, Miami lifestyle), need to land some studs.

Adding here - think if we landed Coleman vs. FSU? Are we really 4-2? Are they really 6-0? 1 player in CFB can make all the difference

O

What else you got
Could you imagine how damaging it would be for Mario to change coordinators again? Nobody would want to coach for him and as it is great qualified coaches weren't exactly lining up last time around. His reputation for being an overbearingly intense micro manager who spends loads of time and energy on things that ultimately do not matter while cavalierly glossing over things that do(taking a knee) most certainly precedes him.

Lol. Honestly the portal has changed the game. Def requires some luck but if you hit right you're golden. Wonder how Tucker got that $95M contract? Largely because he found a back-up RB on Wake Forest who was a 1 man unstoppable show and led them to a great season. Name - Kenneth Walker 3. You might remember him destroying us. We are a good destination for portal croots (NIL, playing time, big name school, Miami lifestyle), need to land some studs.
Definitely agree. I’m just not confident in Mario being able to land them given his rep, performance on the field, and alleged NIL fatigue from certain boosters. If you are a stud QB and WR would you really want to put your future in the hands of Mario when you will have countless other programs hitting you up?

Advertisement

What else you got
Fans in love with Emory I do not think he’s it. Need the threat of a guy running to open up the offense. Please no more ******* statues is all I ask for. Not a straight line runner a guy that can do it all. And a stronger arm than TVD with some zip on those outs so guys can have time to turn around and make a play. Not a hot or cold qb a kid that just got it. They need to find it and some elite DTs if not same ole sh next year

You start with:

1. Give Smith biggest NIL deal in history

2. Make Murphy a deal he can’t refuse, then prioritize what’s left on a monster interior defensive lineman, a safety, and a couple corners, in that order.

3. Hire a quarterback coach and a tribe of analysts

4. Scrape JUCO for athletic freaks, no matter the position

5. Pay a female UNC vendor to have phone *** with Mack Brown

6. Fire Addae and Jason Taylor, open checkbook to replace them with best candidates in the market — run the process through an intermediary.

7. Pay a male UM vendor to have phone *** with Frenk

Advertisement
I agree, it is salvageable. However, I will say this - if he goes 7-5 this season, his fate will be sealed . He won't be let go after this season, but I've seen this movie before. Mark my words, if he doesn't finish 8-4 or better, he will be gone in 2-2 1/2 years.

To be clear, I'm not hoping for that and I do think Mario can still turn this around.

But, he gave away a game for free, and that ate right into his margin for error. Now, he can only lose 2 against: Clemson, Louisville, FSU and NCST. He will probably beat NCST, but he still can only afford two more losses and there are 3 very tough games staring him right in the face. He can't "build" at this point. Now, he has to win or the death spiral begins.

And, since I'm feeling frustrated as a long-suffering Canes fan - this is the very thing I was concerned about when he was hired and why I wanted Lane. There is no doubt in my mind that the recruiting would've been just fine under him because we simply would be winning more games. The UM admin. only knows how to blow it with HC hires after Butch.

It ain't too late yet, but if he doesn't beat Clemson this weekend, this season and his career are in deep doo doo.

Consider this - Al Golden was a super hot HC commodity when we landed him. He screwed up at UM and now...? No decent P5 team is willing to take a chance on him as HC. Mario better do whatever he has to do and mostly win the rest of the way or it isn't just this season that's in danger.

I agree, it is salvageable. However, I will say this - if he goes 7-5 this season, his fate will be sealed . He won't be let go after this season, but I've seen this movie before. Mark my words, if he doesn't finish 8-4 or better, he will be gone in 2-2 1/2 years.

To be clear, I'm not hoping for that and I do think Mario can still turn this around.

But, he gave away a game for free, and that ate right into his margin for error. Now, he's can only lose 2 against: Clemson, Louisville, FSU and NCST. He will probably beat NCST, but he still can only afford two more losses and there are 3 very tough games staring him right in the face. He can't "build" at this point. Now, he has to win or the death spiral begins.

And, since I'm feeling frustrated as a long-suffering Canes fan - this is the very thing I was concerned about when he was hired and why I wanted Lane. There is no doubt in my mind that the recruiting would've been just fine under him because we simply would be winning more games. The UM admin. only knows how to blow it with HC hires after Butch.

It ain't too late yet, but if he doesn't beat Clemson this weekend, this season and his career are in deep doo doo.

Consider this - Al Golden was a super hot HC commodity when we landed him. He screwed up at UM and now...? No decent P5 team is willing to take a chance on him as HC. Mario better do whatever he has to do and mostly win the rest of the way or it isn't just this season that's in danger.
This is his last HC job. He will be recruiting coordinator/OL coach if he can't right the ship here.

Advertisement
Fans in love with Emory I do not think he’s it. Need the threat of a guy running to open up the offense. Please no more ******* statues is all I ask for. Not a straight line runner a guy that can do it all. And a stronger arm than TVD with some zip on those outs so guys can have time to turn around and make a play. Not a hot or cold qb a kid that just got it. They need to find it and some elite DTs if not same ole sh next year
I realize that if you have a kid with an incredible arm and can run you likely have a #1 pick

We’ve had two QBs drafted in the last 20 years and both were 6/7 round

But you need some kind of mix these days it just makes everything easier and makes an OC look good

Something that bugs me is the drop off on the running game especially over the last 2 games. If we are to succeed we need to give TVD a competent running game. TVD's a solid player but is not a superstar that will take over a game and giving him a competent running game helps him out. I was expecting us to have some success here with Mario/Mirabal and the vast improvement in talent on the o-line.

Below are the stats for the running attacks unc has faced this year. Being on par with Syracuse and having teams like Pitt/Minnesota/App State have a better ground game is disappointing.

1697411996446.png

Advertisement
Back