Homer continues to show progress

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
FullSizeRender.jpg

Miami sophomore running back Travis Homer is expected to be an important part of UM’s offense next season as the team’s projected #2 behind Mark Walton.

Although coaches were impressed with Homer’s progress since year one, Gus Edwards’ transfer and Joseph Yearby declaring for the draft opened the door for the Palm Beach product Homer to see the field much more in 2017.

Homer said that his biggest area of improvement since last season is, “definitely reading the defense for protection.”

“It’s a big part of our offense. Last year, I was having real hard trouble reading the defense, but now not as much,” he said.

The second-year tailback was an ace on special teams for the Hurricanes last season and he said that he is still working on that unit in spring. Homer added that playing special teams as a freshman, “gave me the opportunities to be in a game-like situation.”

It’s no secret that Miami’s running back situation is not the deepest position on the team. Homer addressed how that affects spring practice.

“We definitely have to keep our conditioning up as a group and just keep working and getting better,” Homer said. “It gets us more experience running the ball, but it helps with our conditioning.”

UM’s star running back Mark Walton has been as reliable as any player on the roster over the past two seasons – Homer is trying to learn from him.

“Whenever I’m having a problem, he just steps in and pulls me aside or something and comments on what I need help on,” Homer said.

“I just talk to him day-to-day, watching more film after practice, just telling him to stay lower and patient with his reads. He’ll be a great guy,” Walton said. “There’s some things he can work on like patience, but overall he’s going to be a **** of a player.

Offensive coordinator Thomas Brown gave his thoughts on Homer midway through spring practice.

“Travis has always been a very mature guy from day one, compared to most guys coming out of high school. He’s trying to continue to push himself every day and compete with Mark,” Brown said.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So, pass protection was his main problem. Makes sense now why he didn't get many carries.

This kid clearly has the tools to be a ball player, would love to see him put it all together

Advertisement
So, pass protection was his main problem. Makes sense now why he didn't get many carries.

I think people forget how important this is in their rush to see the new guy on the field. The defense has an advantage if they know it's a run every time a particular RB is in the game.

Dudes are panicking on the RB situation, but when a 235 pound bull with speed called Sayonara Gray comes back in the fall, and he's the 3rd team guy with those gifts the tears will start to dry up.

Advertisement
Dudes are panicking on the RB situation, but when a 235 pound bull with speed called Sayonara Gray comes back in the fall, and he's the 3rd team guy with those gifts the tears will start to dry up.
If I ever get into the horse racing game, you'll own 5% equity for inspiring his name.

I love having home run threats in the backfield. Homer is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the rock. Speed don't lie! His type of speed makes play action passes even more effective. Not to mention wheel routes, imagine LB's trying to cover this guy.......two words: He Gone!!!

The second-year tailback was an ace on special teams for the Hurricanes last season and he said that he is still working on that unit in spring. Homer added that playing special teams as a freshman, “gave me the opportunities to be in a game-like situation.”

I really hope this stops once the Freshmen get here. Let someone less integral to the offense run down the field on punts and kickoffs.

5217339.jpg 6_4725336.jpg

Yeah just 7 months after tearing his ACL, this guy is already being clocked at 4.4. If he can hold onto the ball, the quality of depth at RB will be championship caliber.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I really hope this stops once the Freshmen get here. Let someone less integral to the offense run down the field on punts and kickoffs.

He's 2nd string. 2nd Stringers play ST.

last year we had our starters playing it. So ill settle for mainly 2nd/3rd stringers playing ST for us this yr

F*ck that. Put our best players on the field. If Kaaya was the best Kick Returner in the NCAA last year it would be a different story, because you only have 1 QB on the field and to lead the offense. But outside of the QB, we shouldn't limit our players due to injury concerns.

Advertisement

He's 2nd string. 2nd Stringers play ST.

last year we had our starters playing it. So ill settle for mainly 2nd/3rd stringers playing ST for us this yr

Fair point. I just wish it was the second stringers at positions with more depth (especially with Burns injured...again). If this offense is doing what it wants to do, Homer is going to need to be good to go for at least 8-10 touches a game.

View attachment 44122 View attachment 44123

Yeah just 7 months after tearing his ACL, this guy is already being clocked at 4.4. If he can hold onto the ball, the quality of depth at RB will be championship caliber.

That's a growed man right there. If you can put the ball in the ripped belly of a brahma bull like that and call him a 3rd team RB, then your RB isn't as dire as the quivering lipped facquits are making it out to be.

Stokes, is this for real? Pete, that's more than stretching and warm-up drills. That's some serious progress.

Stokes, is this for real? Pete, that's more than stretching and warm-up drills. That's some serious progress.

2nd picture is from last year, Marquez Williams in the background

Advertisement
Back