Hola, everybody, I have arrived!! Quick question on Mark D...

k9cane

Senior
I know the lynch mob was out for him back in early October, but I think outside of perhaps the game against UVA, his unit has played pretty well and gotten better. Id love to see his units with better cornerbacks in the future. But if you look at some of the young parts like Chick, Perryman, Grimble, etc, I think there is some promise

I know Spence's loss is huge, but I think there is strength in numbers and experience.

Also, having Porter ready to go next season is a plus.( But I hope Ryan McNeil and Phil Buchanan are walking through that door)

Advertisement
I know the lynch mob was out for him back in early October, but I think outside of perhaps the game against UVA, his unit has played pretty well and gotten better. Id love to see his units with better cornerbacks in the future. But if you look at some of the young parts like Chick, Perryman, Grimble, etc, I think there is some promise

I know Spence's loss is huge, but I think there is strength in numbers and experience.

Also, having Porter ready to go next season is a plus.( But I hope Ryan McNeil and Phil Buchanan are walking through that door)

A couple of things:

1) Yes there were people questioning him that need to praise him now

2) There were also people saying that he couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken isht that need to acknowledge that maybe the critical posters weren't as far off as they thought.

A couple of things:

2) There were also people saying that he couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken isht that need to acknowledge that maybe the critical posters weren't as far off as they thought.

LOL. They have improved as a unit as the season has gone on... that is the mark of good coaching. They havent exactly become a championship level defense... The personnel issues havent gone away, moreover, they arent solely a question of players "sucking", much of it has to do with total lack of experience and depth. People started bashing Donofrio after the UMD game, when he was without Spence, Ray Ray, Forston, Ojomo, Vernon, Porter, and L. Robinson. As the season has gone on, weve gotten some of those guys back, and some of the young inexperienced guys have started to improve a bit.

So what seems more likely, that Coach D was a moron who suddenly learned how to coach, or that he was dealt a load of **** to start the season, and his unit is now improving and starting to come together as Freshmen and first year players like Chick, Perryman, Gaines, McGee, Smith, Williams, Pierre, Grimble, Cain, etc have started to learn the defense and execute it better?

Remember, this was the same defense from a 7-6 team last year, WITHOUT the two corners who are now in the NFL.... Allen Bailey, Josh Holmes, Colin McCarthy, Jamal Reid, and and a lot of the depth we had last year like Ryan Hill.

Advertisement

A couple of things:

LOL. They have improved as a unit as the season has gone on... that is the mark of good coaching. They havent exactly become a championship level defense... The personnel issues havent gone away, moreover, they arent solely a question of players "sucking", much of it has to do with total lack of experience and depth. People started bashing Donofrio after the UMD game, when he was without Spence, Ray Ray, Forston, Ojomo, Vernon, Porter, and L. Robinson. As the season has gone on, weve gotten some of those guys back, and some of the young inexperienced guys have started to improve a bit.

So what seems more likely, that Coach D was a moron who suddenly learned how to coach, or that he was dealt a load of **** to start the season, and his unit is now improving and starting to come together as Freshmen and first year players like Chick, Perryman, Gaines, McGee, Smith, Williams, Pierre, Grimble, Cain, etc have started to learn the defense and execute it better?

Remember, this was the same defense from a 7-6 team last year, WITHOUT the two corners who are now in the NFL.... Allen Bailey, Josh Holmes, Colin McCarthy, Jamal Reid, and and a lot of the depth we had last year like Ryan Hill.
This

First off, its about time k9!

Second, I don't think anyone needs any in-depth analysis, play by play breakdown, or lengthy scheme combing (although its appreciated of course). Our defense is absolutely better than they were and you can see it just by simply watching them, and the offense is doing them ZERO favors. The defense is the strongest unit right now and a few weeks ago I would have thought you lost your mind if you suggested it.

Coach D is doing a nice job. Improvement as the year went along is all I really hoped for.

What's up niner? Long time man. Good to see you.

As for the D,your last sentence is the telling one. Unless we get some true cover corners, we will be suspect on the back 7 again next year. Having guys that can cover is one thing. Having kids that can make plays on the ball is another. Not too many are smart enough to do that in their 1st or 2nd year. Usually you start seeing DB's jump the routes, or playing with instinct in the jr/sr years.

We are in desperate need of 3-4 really stout cover corners(in case of injury), plus another 2-3 ball hawking safeties. I think we can make qualified judgements on Ray Ray and Telemaque. Wise men they are not. Good football sense they are lacking.

So I am not as optimistic as you are. Plus, we lose the only LB that we could count on to play his assignment and execute. We will miss Spence more than we'd like to think. True, a dominant front 4 can mask some weaknesses. But we haven't been able to stay healthy or consistent from that group either.

I like the fact that this unit got better as the season went on. No doubt that if were were to face MD and VT right now, they don't do nearly as much damage as they did at the time we played them.

Advertisement
Nice to see you here k9 and I agree with you and cane4life!

Great to have you over here, K9.

As some of us have said throughout, it's nearly impossible to expect a smooth transition into these schemes. The scenario is simple: Coach D's option was to mix in more press and more man, but had more than sufficient evidence to be completely afraid of doing so. In addition, he risked going away from more team-oriented, zone defensive schemes that will help us over the long haul.

I'm usually first in line to call out a coach, but given his circumstances, it would have been unfair to *fully* judge Coach D this season.

We need Safeties, man. I'll take a Safety with range over a cover corner right now. The flexibility it would provide is invaluable.

Lu, I think our play at Safety may be worse then our play at CB this year, and that is saying a lot. We are going to miss JoJo next year (unless we find college ready CB and S in this recruiting class), he's been our best S and CB.

I'm surprised VT has never developed considering this is his 3rd year as a full time starter. Although his physical limitations, namely speed, may have a lot to do with it.

Lu, I think our play at Safety may be worse then our play at CB this year, and that is saying a lot. We are going to miss JoJo next year (unless we find college ready CB and S in this recruiting class), he's been our best S and CB.

I'm surprised VT has never developed considering this is his 3rd year as a full time starter. Although his physical limitations, namely speed, may have a lot to do with it.

The reality is we need a JuCo DB.

Advertisement

A couple of things:

You missed my point. You were one of the very posters saying that there was no way in **** anything could be done this season. Others disagreed. Why ignore that?

Agree here. Safety play has been down right horrible. JoJo has played ok but overall the safeties have been MIA

He has been disappointing. He was the best defensive player on the field in the opener and he's fallen steadily downhill since.

Advertisement

He has been disappointing. He was the best defensive player on the field in the opener and he's fallen steadily downhill since.

The guy always reminds me of Al Blades...

Guy did a **** of a job.

We started the year with ONE player on D. ONE. Spence.

The 2nd and 3rd best players are true freshmen that developed. We had nothing at DT and CB, which is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. And depth?? 2-deep?? LOL. We barely had a 1-deep.

I think both our coordinators did a great job this year.

Guy did a **** of a job.

We started the year with ONE player on D. ONE. Spence.

The 2nd and 3rd best players are true freshmen that developed. We had nothing at DT and CB, which is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. And depth?? 2-deep?? LOL. We barely had a 1-deep.

I think both our coordinators did a great job this year.

I'm worried we'll be in the same position next year on defense. Linebacker and db is going to be just as iffy. The numbers just arent there.

Advertisement
Back