Hmmm?

fraggle

Senile Senior
I remember last year we were using GPS devices to monitor speed. It seems Diaz is interested in things that [provide data and advance our players via science. On a show on TV called "Black Files Declassified" they showed how we make our soldiers get better and be more dangerous. One item showed how neuroscience improved the moderators rifle accuracy in a short period of time (Like an hour or two). Quite a dramatic improvement. I wonder if any colleges are using this technology???

Neuroscience

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Guess you need to see the TV program to understand how that neuroscience stuff impacted the moderator. tHE WAY It appeared to me was it made the shooter feel like a basketball player who has a streak where his confidence level is sky high and everything is falling through the hoop. Imagine if a player had that type of confidence all the time.

And no, it wasn't just practice.
From the article: "
Coaches and athletes have known for decades that, in sports, most of the game is mental. Historically, the mental aspect of sports has only been psychology-based and has not involved brain science. This is about to change."

Advertisement
Oh, I forgot to mention Jimmy Johnson's degree is in Psychology, think that anything to do with the mental attitude of his teams? Neuroscience goes beyond that.

1598982674915.jpeg

Guess you need to see the TV program to understand how that neuroscience stuff impacted the moderator. tHE WAY It appeared to me was it made the shooter feel like a basketball player who has a streak where his confidence level is sky high and everything is falling through the hoop. Imagine if a player had that type of confidence all the time.

Coaches and athletes have known for decades that, in sports, most of the game is mental. Historically, the mental aspect of sports has only been psychology-based and has not involved brain science. This is about to change."
Idk what you're talking about but this is a topic I have always thought to be interesting.

I frequently play basketball, and shooting yourself "into the zone" is absolutely a thing. Also evidenced by many basketball players getting hot.

I've always wondered what it is, scientifically speaking. Maybe just a coincidence that they keep going in when you're confident, but idk.

Very interesting topic to study.

I remember last year we were using GPS devices to monitor speed. It seems Diaz is interested in things that [provide data and advance our players via science. On a show on TV called "Black Files Declassified" they showed how we make our soldiers get better and be more dangerous. One item showed how neuroscience improved the moderators rifle accuracy in a short period of time (Like an hour or two). Quite a dramatic improvement. I wonder if any colleges are using this technology???

Neuroscience

Thoughts?

Yeah - pass around the Tequila.

Advertisement
Great now the US can spend trillions more in R&D to fight guys in caves with 60 year old rifles.

I was confident I could make it to the end zone by running the ball 50 yards right before the half. There was just no way I couldn't.

Signed,
Jarren Williams

Oh, I forgot to mention Jimmy Johnson's degree is in Psychology, think that anything to do with the mental attitude of his teams? Neuroscience goes beyond that.

Great topic, Fraggle. Thanks for starting this thread.

As for JJ's psychology approach - For many years Jimmy Johnson used to preach this concept called "Flow." Its the idea that if you can create an initial level of positive flow in certain areas of your life then the positivity will flow at greater rates and spill over to other areas of life. For him it was about helping his players have stronger personal lives which is theory espoused would make them better football players.

I used to have this 20 minute speech from JJ on VHS back in the day. I swore by it for a number of years and found it to be great concept. Im over simplifying the whole topic but I think folks can get the idea. Start cleaning up the little schit and and the big schit will follow suit.

Advertisement
Idk what you're talking about but this is a topic I have always thought to be interesting.

I frequently play basketball, and shooting yourself "into the zone" is absolutely a thing. Also evidenced by many basketball players getting hot.

I've always wondered what it is, scientifically speaking. Maybe just a coincidence that they keep going in when you're confident, but idk.

Very interesting topic to study.
It’s an interesting topic.

I just think it’s hard as fūck to quantify scientifically.

Those of us that have played some sports have been there in one fashion or another.

I’m not claiming to be this great basketball player, because I’m not, but even I have been in the zone playing ball.

It’s that feeling you get where you just like in this tunnel vision, you don’t feel really any pain all you feel is your body and that basket, the ball leaves your hands, you’re one with the ball and the basket, you have that very focused tunnel vision, it’s almost like you’re moving in slow motion, you can see the rotation of the ball very clearly, even though you’re moving in real time. Everything is smooth. You have adrenaline, but it doesn’t make you jumpy, it’s like your entire system is flooded with endorphins, you’re almost high.

The sound of the balls slapping the net, that’s your release every time. You can’t miss.

And then it goes away. Don’t know why. Wish I could can it, hold on to it forever. Because it doesn’t happen very often, but when it does it’s beautiful. It’s almost like a mystical experience.

I sometimes get the same thing when I run or I’m doing long aerobic exercises like on the elliptical. You reach a sort of Zen state where you’re almost in a heightened but very calm state, almost like you’re high with endorphins or something. You can go super hard during this time and it doesn’t feel bad at all - usually 30 minutes into my aerobic session (running/elliptical, etc) if I hit it, that’s when I hit it

As for JJ's psychology approach - For many years Jimmy Johnson used to preach this concept called "Flow." Its the idea that if you can create an initial level of positive flow in certain areas of your life then the positivity will flow at greater rates and spill over to other areas of life. For him it was about helping his players have stronger personal lives which is theory espoused would make them better football players.

I used to have this 20 minute speech from JJ on VHS back in the day. I swore by it for a number of years and found it to be great concept. Im over simplifying the whole topic but I think folks can get the idea. Start cleaning up the little schit and and the big schit will follow suit.

Interesting-would love to see that speech if you ever find the VHS tape. It seems to fall in line with the idea some people say about doing the little things first, and let them be the building blocks towards gaining confidence. Make your bed every morning, don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, etc.

It’s an interesting topic.

I just think it’s hard as fūck to quantify scientifically.

Those of us that have played some sports have been there in one fashion or another.

I’m not claiming to be this great basketball player, because I’m not, but even I have been in the zone playing ball.

It’s that feeling you get where you just like in this tunnel vision, you don’t feel really any pain all you feel is your body and that basket, the ball leaves your hands, you’re one with the ball and the basket, you have that very focused tunnel vision, it’s almost like you’re moving in slow motion, you can see the rotation of the ball very clearly, even though you’re moving in real time. Everything is smooth. You have adrenaline, but it doesn’t make you jumpy, it’s like your entire system is flooded with endorphins, you’re almost high.

The sound of the balls slapping the net, that’s your release every time. You can’t miss.

And then it goes away. Don’t know why. Wish I could can it, hold on to it forever. Because it doesn’t happen very often, but when it does it’s beautiful. It’s almost like a mystical experience.

I sometimes get the same thing when I run or I’m doing long aerobic exercises like on the elliptical. You reach a sort of Zen state where you’re almost in a heightened but very calm state, almost like you’re high with endorphins or something. You can go super hard during this time and it doesn’t feel bad at all - usually 30 minutes into my aerobic session (running/elliptical, etc) if I hit it, that’s when I hit it

It would be pretty amazing if someone is able to discover a way via neorscience to replicate just what you described. Maybe this is the path towards that. Miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?

Advertisement
I’m a competitive shooter in the Army and I have never heard about this. Adderall however...

Didn’t work for Vinny in the Fiesta Bowl. Unless his INTs ‘flowed’ to Nittany Lions.

#kidding

“Flow’ is a big topic in sports. Simply, to me, it seems one no longer overthinks what they are doing. Right there with ‘mindfulness’.

Advertisement
Back