Hiring friends

EL U

Recruit
Just a reminder that there is a difference between hiring friends to be on your coaching staff and hiring coaches that you were on a staff with previously.

So I don’t wanna hear that Manny’s hires are lazy because he happens to know the defensive coordinator and possibly the strength coach. Coaching is all about connections, nobody is ever hired to be on anyone’s staff who doesn’t know the head coach from a prior relationship.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Big factor for me is that he let go of the O staff, people he had worked with, and probably saw in the building and at practice on a daily basis. It must not have been an easy thing to do on a personal level, but if it’s just business, it’s doable. He has proven it. He’s not heartless as indicated by his remorse at Temple situation. Very well grounded coach, if you ask me, and I’m still taking a wait and see attitude after the last 4 hires.

Advertisement
Just a reminder that there is a difference between hiring friends to be on your coaching staff and hiring coaches that you were on a staff with previously.

So I don’t wanna hear that Manny’s hires are lazy because he happens to know the defensive coordinator and possibly the strength coach. Coaching is all about connections, nobody is ever hired to be on anyone’s staff who doesn’t know the head coach from a prior relationship.
I agree with the first part, but the bolded happens all the time, shouldnt speak in absolutes.

There's also this coaching chemistry on a team is just as important as team chemistry.good hc hire people they know they can trust.butch hired Coker because he knew Coker would do what butch wanted.

Advertisement

I couldnt agree more. VERY pivotal difference between cronie coaching, and coaching with colleagues with whom you've chewed dirt.

Advertisement

Only exception--and it would be a rare one--was UM in 1984 when JJ was forced to work with staff from his predecessor.

When Tom Olivadotti, Howard's DC, bailed on Johnson, JJ elevated Howard's DL coach, Bill Trout, to DC.

So, JJ had a combination of his coaches (Butch Davis at DL) and Howard's holdover defensive staff. I think Mike Archer might have been the holdover secondary coach, but I don't remember.

JJ didn't mess with the offense too much. He left it up to Gary Stevens. The offense continued to be seamless and effective.

The defense was a fiasco because of the competing philosophies. Trout wanted to continue to run Olivadotti/Schnellenberger's gap control 5-2. Johnson wanted an attacking 4-3. The result was a disastrous 1984 season.

Coaches know that whenever they get a job a clock starts to when they get fired for various reasons.Could be their not doing their job,the HC getting fired and the new HC wanting his own people etc.Yes Manny worked with these people but he didn’t hire them.
Very rarely are coaches in a place more than a few years at a time so I have to think that most if not all of the offensive coaches had to know they weren’t going to survive because their whole unit was very OFFENSIVE for the last few years.Banda and Patke had to have a feeling they weren’t going to remain co-DC’s when Manny didn’t take them with him ,that and they had to know they weren’t qualified.
So firing guys you work with wouldn’t / shouldn’t be as hard as you think.Getting fired and looking for another job is a major part of the business.Once you join the brotherhood you are pretty sure to get another job somewhere else and get that clock ticking again because retread coaches are the norm not the exception.

I do applaud Manny for doing the firing as quickly as he did to give all of the fired guys as much time as possible to find another job.Id alsobe willing to bet tha there’s not a lot of hard feelings toward him from the guys that got fired.They knew their click had been ticking for 3 years and it was just a matter of time before their alarm went off fir them to look for another job.

Don Diaz is looking at each maneuver as a business decision. He knows whomever he keeps, hires or fires, it will eventually fall back on him. He knows if his team doesn't produce he will be in the same seat as Coker, Shannon, Golden and Richt were in. He knows, The U and its traditions are bigger than him and this is his Dream Job Come True.

Advertisement
Back