Hire great people and let them coach....

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Interesting read from comments made by Jeff Hafley , current BC coach and former OSU DC. He was a guest on the Fox Sports Watch party and talked about what he saw during the game, Ryan Day and OSU and what he took with him to BC He made some really great observations:

On Ryan Day and OSU:
“Ryan’s done an unbelievable job,” Hafley said. “Taking over for Urban [Meyer] and remaining true to who he is and not trying to be someone else. And the job he’s done with those players. The guys love him. They love him. He’s hard on ’em, and he holds ’em accountable, but he develops such a good relationship with those kids and the staff.”

Hafley emphasized Day’s humility and trust in his staff, proclaiming that “he lets his coaches coach.” Hafley added that Day rarely popped up in the defensive room while he was coaching at Ohio State and that the culture is strong there in Columbus.

What he learned from Ryan Day:

Hafley said that earlier in his career, he was around some programs where head coaches would occasionally overstep and try to put their fingerprint on the offense or defense. Often, it could turn into a disaster, he admitted. When he got the job at BC, Hafley adopted Day’s approach of hiring “great people” and letting the staff conduct its roles while helping out wherever he could.

Hafley wants the College Football Playoff to expand.
Hafley said that a larger playoff would make recruiting easier for every school and likely lead to more parity in the sport.

“You want to be developed, you want a chance to go to the National Football League, and you want to win a championship,” Hafley said when describing most high school recruits. “And right now there’s not many schools that can truthfully sell, ‘Hey come here and you’ll play for a national championship.’ That’s just real. … There’s like six teams, seven teams that can actually say that and not lie to kids.”

“People aren’t going to play in bowl games anymore,” Hafley said. “And I don’t blame ’em. You want to go to the “Gumball Bowl” in somewhere, and have a kid who’s going to be a second round-pick play? It doesn’t even make sense for him to play. But now [if the CFP is expanded], more kids are going to want to play, less will opt out, and you can say to a kid from whatever school you want, ‘You can come here and compete for a championship,’ and that’s true.”

“I believe to play this game you can’t be scared. You gotta be fearless. You can’t be worried about making mistakes. You gotta coach ’em hard but then let ’em play ball. Let ’em have fun and let ’em play for each other.

A lot of good stuff here...... I think he's going to have BC giving other teams in the ACC fits very soon...

So much of this seemed very apropos to what is being said on this board... We have to hope Manny has learned this too

Advertisement
Advertisement
Why the **** are we bringing up Ryan F-ing Day? He was an internal hire with no HC experience! We've done that a plenty! (Yeah, but he was hired by a National Title winning coach!) OK, so the trick is to hire a National Title winning coach and then let him promote from within after he leaves?

Not the only way to be great or succeed. Pretty sure Saban is a major presence with whoever is running his defense. Not trying to flame, just hard not to think of coaches who've been very involved in either the offense or defense even when they have a coordinator hired for that job, and coaches who've been very successful.

Why the **** are we bringing up Ryan F-ing Day? He was an internal hire with no HC experience! We've done that a plenty! (Yeah, but he was hired by a National Title winning coach!) OK, so the trick is to hire a National Title winning coach and then let him promote from within after he leaves?
Yes

Advertisement
the interesting question raised by this piece is whether our defensive decline is from manny’s meddling. baker is likely better than manny makes him appear. manny likely meddles and tells him how to do some things. makes it hard to do his job. so baker does what manny says he wants but it doesn’t work right because ultimately bakers got to be the accountable guy and he can’t be if he’s trying to do manny’s bidding rather than achieve the desired outcomes.

overall i think the article’s point can be overstated. head coaches should know how to manage and that includes asking questions and boring down on topics. no doubt saban does this. the issue isn’t the questioning, it’s how it’s done - managers should be careful about undermining their reports by popping into their meetings with their staff, and when they have observations they should be careful about how they’re constructively presented so the person responsible for the decision can still make the choice.

Advertisement
Jeff Hafley is my number one choice for a new coach if Manny ***** the bed 2021. Watching how BC competed vs Clemson coupled with his pedigree as a DC at ohio state and reading these quotes has me fully sold.

I
Jeff Hafley is my number one choice for a new coach if Manny ***** the bed 2021. Watching how BC competed vs Clemson coupled with his pedigree as a DC at ohio state and reading these quotes has me fully sold.
I thought he’d have been considered for Michigan if they canned jim

Advertisement
Did he talk about the part where it's totally OK to beat the living **** out of a woman in front of her children and that matters less than winning football games?

Or... no...?

Jerry Sandusky did some great things on the football field too, but he always seemed to be coming in a little behind.

Advertisement
Back