Hire great people and let them coach....

Not the only way to be great or succeed. Pretty sure Saban is a major presence with whoever is running his defense. Not trying to flame, just hard not to think of coaches who've been very involved in either the offense or defense even when they have a coordinator hired for that job, and coaches who've been very successful.
Nick Saban is on the field coaching defensive backs during practice. Tons of videos out there where he yells at his players for not jamming the right way.

He lets his coaches run the drills, but if he sees something, he will address it personally and not let his assistants do it.

Advertisement
Interesting read from comments made by Jeff Hafley , current BC coach and former OSU DC. He was a guest on the Fox Sports Watch party and talked about what he saw during the game, Ryan Day and OSU and what he took with him to BC He made some really great observations:

On Ryan Day and OSU:
“Ryan’s done an unbelievable job,” Hafley said. “Taking over for Urban [Meyer] and remaining true to who he is and not trying to be someone else. And the job he’s done with those players. The guys love him. They love him. He’s hard on ’em, and he holds ’em accountable, but he develops such a good relationship with those kids and the staff.”

Hafley emphasized Day’s humility and trust in his staff, proclaiming that “he lets his coaches coach.” Hafley added that Day rarely popped up in the defensive room while he was coaching at Ohio State and that the culture is strong there in Columbus.

What he learned from Ryan Day:

Hafley said that earlier in his career, he was around some programs where head coaches would occasionally overstep and try to put their fingerprint on the offense or defense. Often, it could turn into a disaster, he admitted. When he got the job at BC, Hafley adopted Day’s approach of hiring “great people” and letting the staff conduct its roles while helping out wherever he could.

Hafley wants the College Football Playoff to expand.
Hafley said that a larger playoff would make recruiting easier for every school and likely lead to more parity in the sport.

“You want to be developed, you want a chance to go to the National Football League, and you want to win a championship,” Hafley said when describing most high school recruits. “And right now there’s not many schools that can truthfully sell, ‘Hey come here and you’ll play for a national championship.’ That’s just real. … There’s like six teams, seven teams that can actually say that and not lie to kids.”

“People aren’t going to play in bowl games anymore,” Hafley said. “And I don’t blame ’em. You want to go to the “Gumball Bowl” in somewhere, and have a kid who’s going to be a second round-pick play? It doesn’t even make sense for him to play. But now [if the CFP is expanded], more kids are going to want to play, less will opt out, and you can say to a kid from whatever school you want, ‘You can come here and compete for a championship,’ and that’s true.”

“I believe to play this game you can’t be scared. You gotta be fearless. You can’t be worried about making mistakes. You gotta coach ’em hard but then let ’em play ball. Let ’em have fun and let ’em play for each other.

A lot of good stuff here...... I think he's going to have BC giving other teams in the ACC fits very soon...

So much of this seemed very apropos to what is being said on this board... We have to hope Manny has learned this too
You can't hire anyone if they don't LET you.

Ryan Day might have wanted to sit in those defensive meeting last week....

truth be told I’m not that impressed with Ryan Day.

he was handed the keys to ferrari and he’s kept it clean.

his offenses are just as bland as urban he just throws it more and useless QB power.

he’s been getting by on having more talent than 98% of the teams they play.

His WRs look poorly developed and solely rely on speed and athleticism.

you would think that as an “offensive guru” he’d be able to at least add some insight or things to consider when game planning by sharing what he hates that DCs throw at him in certain situations.

For example “I love when a DC calls a play to cover my fastest WR with a Linebacker in a single high look. I know it’s a one play TD everytime”.

———

personally I’m not a micro manager and don’t like to meddle. But it’s also good practice to be present so that the ppl you are managing feel your presence and know they will be held accountable.

Advertisement
Nick Saban is on the field coaching defensive backs during practice. Tons of videos out there where he yells at his players for not jamming the right way.

He lets his coaches run the drills, but if he sees something, he will address it personally and not let his assistants do it.

But the thing is Saban ain't yellin' just to be yellin'.

He doesn't just tell the DBs to lock out, but He briefly tells them WHY they're supposed to lockout.

I can watch Saban coach DBs & teach tackling all day, He makes it so simple that even a 5 Y/O gets it.

Jeff Hafley is my number one choice for a new coach if Manny ***** the bed 2021. Watching how BC competed vs Clemson coupled with his pedigree as a DC at ohio state and reading these quotes has me fully sold.
I totally agree with you. Great composure and also for me, his pedigree as a DC at osu i'm sold too.

Advertisement
Back