Hightower reppin the U (highlights)

Gonna be a really big kid by the time he gets on campus. Good complement to the Jeff Thomas and Elijah Moore types.

Advertisement
Gonna be a really big kid by the time he gets on campus. Good complement to the Jeff Thomas and Elijah Moore types.

Thing I like about it is that img already prepare these kids like they are in college training wise. You look at all the type of players that have come there lately and you can tell that they went to img. A kid like jhamon ausbon who signed with Texas a&m at receiver from img last year at 6'2 215 looked more physically imposing than any other receiver in the country.

Advertisement
I love the scene at 1:38. Beat your man score a touchdown throw up the u in his face and talk trash! That's old school cane!

I know most people on here are enamored with speed, and thats great and I love it too, but you need guys like this. I watched the national championship game and Mike Williams was always open no matter how close the 5 star DB was that was guarding him. When Watson was in trouble or knew he had to get the ball out quick, he just threw it to Williams and trusted him to catch it. From what I've seen of Hightower, he just always seems open and will catch the ball, no matter where the DB is at. Speed is only one way to create separation, and it don't help as much when the guy across from you is just as fast. Big guys who know how to use their body, and can run, are deadly. It's why every college coach is looking for the next Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, AJ Green, Julio Jones and the like.

You do realize that all of those guys except aj green are sub 4.4 guys, right? Of course everyone is looking for the next giant, super fast wide receiver that catches everything thrown his way. Hightower isn't that guy but I do like the anquan bolden comp.

Yes. I should have separated the paragraphs because I wasn't saying Hightower was like those guys. I was speaking to everyone on here who looks at a 40 time and says sign that kid up ignoring the fact he's 5'10" 170lbs.

My point was that if you're only attribute is speed, you end up looking like John Ross versus Alabama and not doing ****. Yes you need some of those guys, but you can't have a team full of them and beat the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world. In a perfect world coaches want super fast guys who are 6'4"+ and have the ability to create seperation at the top of a route with size and body control when the DB guarding him is running stride for stride. But you need bigger guys like Hightower who might not be blazers, but can use their body to always find a way to get open and make the catch. Mike Williams' skill set and his 4.6 speed was far more valuable than John Ross' skill set and 4.22 speed was versus Alabama.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know most people on here are enamored with speed, and thats great and I love it too, but you need guys like this. I watched the national championship game and Mike Williams was always open no matter how close the 5 star DB was that was guarding him. When Watson was in trouble or knew he had to get the ball out quick, he just threw it to Williams and trusted him to catch it. From what I've seen of Hightower, he just always seems open and will catch the ball, no matter where the DB is at. Speed is only one way to create separation, and it don't help as much when the guy across from you is just as fast. Big guys who know how to use their body, and can run, are deadly. It's why every college coach is looking for the next Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, AJ Green, Julio Jones and the like.

You do realize that all of those guys except aj green are sub 4.4 guys, right? Of course everyone is looking for the next giant, super fast wide receiver that catches everything thrown his way. Hightower isn't that guy but I do like the anquan bolden comp.

Yes. I should have separated the paragraphs because I wasn't saying Hightower was like those guys. I was speaking to everyone on here who looks at a 40 time and says sign that kid up ignoring the fact he's 5'10" 170lbs.

My point was that if you're only attribute is speed, you end up looking like John Ross versus Alabama and not doing ****. Yes you need some of those guys, but you can't have a team full of them and beat the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world. In a perfect world coaches want super fast guys who are 6'4"+ and have the ability to create seperation at the top of a route with size and body control when the DB guarding him is running stride for stride. But you need bigger guys like Hightower who might not be blazers, but can use their body to always find a way to get open and make the catch. Mike Williams' skill set and his 4.6 speed was far more valuable than John Ross' skill set and 4.22 speed was versus Alabama.
Alabaga beat Warshington because of John Ross's size? Good stuff.

Alabaga beat Warshington because of John Ross's size? Good stuff.

Haha. No, my point was that when you go up against someone like Alabama, who is fast, big, physical and can get to the QB quick, it's a lot harder for WR's who's only attribute is speed. Williams' ability to make contested catches was far more valuable against a team like Alabama. Safety help over the top and a great pass rush negated Ross and Washington didn't have anyone else who could make plays.

Of course it helps having a QB like Watson over someone like Washingtons QB as well as other factors, but there were plenty of times where Watson was neutralized and he just throw it up to a covered Williams and watched him do the work.

In other words: I like picking up someone with Hightowers skill set to compliment guys like Harley and Thomas.

Last edited:

Mike Williams is a 4.6 guy, same with Laquan treadwell. You need these type of receivers that are big and physical

I like those comps as well. Certainly not denying his skill set will be useful, just thought it was odd to use examples of guys who are among the fastest to play the position to make the point that you don't need speed to be an effective receiver.

Hes Huge. Elite ball skills and hands. Not the most explosive as you don't see much seperation in those clips but you throw it in his area and its his. I could see him growing into an athletic TE.

Advertisement
Big, strong dude with tree trunks for legs, who likes to play bully ball. Reminds me of Aldarius Johnson.

Advertisement

Washington couldn't block Alabama, the qb was running for his life right after the snap. The trenches was an enormous mismatch . Randy Moss could've been out there and he's had the same stats as Ross. Nobody gets open in 1.5 / 2 seconds

Washington couldn't block Alabama, the qb was running for his life right after the snap. The trenches was an enormous mismatch . Randy Moss could've been out there and he's had the same stats as Ross. Nobody gets open in 1.5 / 2 seconds

I don't disagree at all. But If you replace Williams with Ross, Clemson loses that football game despite having Watson and a great defense. And Ross is a good WR with elite elite speed. Alabama could negate Ross's use of speed to get open, but couldn't negate Williams' ability to make plays when covered.

This got sidetracked because I didn't articulate well in the first place. My whole point was that it seems like a lot of people on this board lately, have a hard on for 5'10" 170lb WR's who all run sub 4.4's and don't appreciate guys like Hightower who aren't blazer but can create space even when covered. I just think you need a balance at the WR spot because some games, like in the national championship game, a guy like Williams is more valuable than a guy like Ross. I like Hightower's skill set and think he compliments the speed guys like Thomas and Harley, who tend to have a harder time making plays against fast, physical teams like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. I always think about teams like Oregon who's fast little dudes always had a hard time creating space against the elite physical teams.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back