High School Championship Game in 2014

pb5cane

Junior
http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwi...school-football-championship-game-in-2014.htm

Looks like the FHSAA and other states are moving forward with plans to play 3 high school championship games this year. The games will probably take place on December 27, 2014 at FAU Stadium in Boca, two weeks after the state title games.

Of course this will be the first time that the old "mythical" national champ will no longer exist. Plans, at this time, are for 3 top-ranked Florida teams that win State Titles to face state title winners from NJ, NV, CA, TX or AL. The article mentions Booker T., Central and St. Thomas as early favorites.

Great chance to see these boys get at it on the national stage!!

Advertisement
There's almost zero chance that Texas schools will participate in this. It would be the very next week after our week 16 state championship games (not two weeks after, like it is for Florida, and smaller states would have an even bigger gap after their state games), would require practice/prep during Christmas Day and Christmas week, and a lot of old school coaches aren't fans of the direction that HS sports are going with 7on7, interstate matchups, sponsorships, televised games, etc. Frankly, I tend to agree with them. Even if the coaches are in, there are some obvious issues here - like planning to travel to Florida 7 days after winning state and the logistics of organizing that with $, administrative crap, etc. They aren't going to want to deal with kind of hypothetical planning the weeks prior to state when they're living in the coaches offices trying to win state.

It's a really cool concept but I have a feeling there are going to be plenty of schools (not just Texas schools) who balk at this.

Last edited:
There's almost zero chance that Texas schools will participate in this. It would be the very next week after our week 16 state championship games (not two weeks after, like it is for Florida, and smaller states would have an even bigger gap after their state games), would require practice/prep during Christmas Day and Christmas week, and a lot of old school coaches aren't fans of the direction that HS sports are going with 7on7, interstate matchups, sponsorships, televised games, etc. Frankly, I tend to agree with them. Even if the coaches are in, there are some obvious issues here - like planning to travel to Florida 7 days after winning state and the logistics of organizing that with $, administrative crap, etc. They aren't going to want to deal with kind of hypothetical planning the weeks prior to state when they're living in the coaches offices trying to win state.

It's a really cool concept but I have a feeling there are going to be plenty of schools (not just Texas schools) who balk at this.

You forgot to add: They don't want to get smashed by teams like Booker T and Central.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back