Herndon's Potential

I expect Herndon to be as productive as Njoku. He is special as well. We will look back in 5 years and be amazed we had them both.

Advertisement
Njoku better athlete, but Herndon is more skilled of a player from what I've seen. Njoku dominates with his size/speed, but Herndon will give us more of that skilled Miami TE we're used to.

Would Herdon compare favorably to Walford? Njoku was the superior athlete but Herndon can play ball.

Njoku is gunna be an early 2nd round pick in this draft.
Herndon will be a 3rd round pick next year. Calling it now. He isn't the athlete Njoku is, not too many are. But he can block better, and he is definitely going to be a good receiving option for us next year, especially if Michael Irvin doesn't step up or Haskins gets the boot.

Njoku will blow them away at the combine and could go late first. I agree with you, Herndon while not the athletic freak Njoku is will be a very good TE for us next year, well hopefully we will have good enough QB play for him to be effective in the passing game.

young qbs generally rely on tes

I think Njoku is a better athlete but Herndon will be a better TE. He has already shown that he can block and catch better then Njoku. He is step slower but when he is in the defense won't automatically know it's a pass play.

Advertisement
What do think Herndon will be able to do next year? Will there be much of a drop off from Njoku?

Those in the know what are some of the speed numbers, when they tested, between Njoku and Herndon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Njoku is a workout warrior and physical specimen with a very high ceiling. He had one of if not the highest test (Swasey) in the history of the program couple seasons back, but he's not the all-around football player Herndon is, IMO. Herndon has better feet and looks to have better acceleration if not comparable overall speed.

Will be a more reliable stud.

He won't be as productive as Njoku, he just doesn't have that type of skill set. I expect he'll play more of a traditional TE role like he's been playing and we'll see Irvin out and being used like Njoku.

Advertisement
Herndon will be a 3rd round pick next year. Calling it now. He isn't the athlete Njoku is, not too many are. But he can block better, and he is definitely going to be a good receiving option for us next year, especially if Michael Irvin doesn't step up or Haskins gets the boot.

Njoku will blow them away at the combine and could go late first. I agree with you, Herndon while not the athletic freak Njoku is will be a very good TE for us next year, well hopefully we will have good enough QB play for him to be effective in the passing game.

young qbs generally rely on tes

Very true. A good TE is like a security blanket for a young QB.

He can easily put up the same kind of numbers as Njoku. Nowhere near the athleye, but just as effective. I expect little drop off at the position. #TEU

Herndon is arguably the best athlete on the team, dude. Slow down with the hyperbole.

It's not hyperbole (or a knock) to say Njoku is a superior athlete than Herndon. At roughly the same size, Njoku is --

-Faster
-Jumps higher
-Better shuttle
-Better agility

Herndon is one of my favorite players on the team, but he's not in the same class of athlete as Njoku. Even then, I still think he ends up a better Tight End than Njoku.

What are their 40 times?

Would Herdon compare favorably to Walford? Njoku was the superior athlete but Herndon can play ball.

I may be wrong but Clive was more gifted physically. He was inconsistent to the point of being a liability here for a while but then the light went on his Senior year (or junior year if I'm mistaken and he came out early, his final year here in any case). Herndon seems to have it together as far as being consistent and has the greatest gift a TE in modern football can have : excellent hands. Maybe I'm wrong about Clive being a better athlete, and I don't necessarily mean he had a better 40 time. There's more to being a great athlete. I would say yes, while very different, he can be as good or better than Clive.

He's better than Walford by far to me. I always thought Walford was way overrated. He didn't have great hands or feet IMO.

He was a beast his senior year. Light went on like it did with Hankerson. Before then, yes, absolutely agree.

Advertisement
Herndon gives the offense more versatility since he can both block and catch well. Can he break a 75 yard run and outrun safeties? Probably not, but he can be a reliable chain mover. For a brand new qb, he will be considerably better than Njoku. I think Njoku has all universe athleticism, but he also showed suspect hands. If I have a brand new qb, I take Herndon over Njoku 9 out of 10 times (I said this before Njoku declared too so it's not sour grapes).

I like Herndon's talent and skill set a lot. I think he will shine for us. I also think he was under ultilized last season.

Advertisement
Honestly we are going to be fine at TE no matter what. We will always get NFL calibur players at this position. If Haskins doesnt get in trouble he looks like he Njoku 2.0 and Irvin can be Herndon 2.0

Not to mention the te committed for our 17 class is a blocking te.

Honestly we are going to be fine at TE no matter what. We will always get NFL calibur players at this position. If Haskins doesnt get in trouble he looks like he Njoku 2.0 and Irvin can be Herndon 2.0

And the te we are signing with the 17 class is Dobard 2.0?

The best way I see it:

Njoku = Vernon Davis
Herndon = Delanie Walker

Njoku is the better athlete.
Herndon is the better football player.

Both can carve out a role at the next level. Herndon has better hands, routes, and blocking ability. He's not going to out jump or outrun the backend like Njoku did, but he will provide a nice safety valve for whoever our inexperienced QB is next year.

Advertisement
Back