Herman the "clear leader" for South Carolina job

FreeVilma

Junior
A leading candidate has emerged for the open South Carolina job.

University of Houston head coach Tom Herman is the clear leading candidate for the vacant Gamecocks job, according to multiple sources.

Herman has been on the radar of South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner since 2012, his first as offensive coordinator at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.

Herman, in his first year as the head coach of the Cougars, is 8-0 this season and has Houston ranked in the top 25. He's defeated an Atlantic Coast Conference opponent (Louisville, 34-31) and a Southeastern Conference opponent (Vanderbilt, 34-0) this season.

If the job gets past Herman, then Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, Texas head coach Charlie Strong and Memphis head coach Justin Fuente could enter the mix.

One leader for the South Carolina job

Advertisement
He will be there for 2-3 years then bolt for greener pastures.

He's a **** of a hire though!

***. I hope we're not late to the party. I still think our job is better than their job, especially if we're willing to throw around some money.

Advertisement
There's another connection, iirc. The search firm that is running USCe's search is the same search firm that placed Herman in Houston

Advertisement
All I read from that is that USCe leadership has made it clear they want him the most. Not that HE wants to go THERE as his #1 choice.

IMO, USCe is stupid for playing their cards so soon. All they did was guarantee Herman a larger contract since other interested parties will have to bring more to the table now initially.

Financially, Butch is the clear choice now since we will be paying off Golden something like 7 millions and he will be cheaper than anybody else. The money difference can be used to pay top dollars to highly coveted assistants. Maybe we can entice Tommy Moffitt to come back with pay raise? :sneakiness:

All I read from that is that USCe leadership has made it clear they want him the most. Not that HE wants to go THERE as his #1 choice.

IMO, USCe is stupid for playing their cards so soon. All they did was guarantee Herman a larger contract since other interested parties will have to bring more to the table now initially.

Its not stupid if you got the $$

The only place I can see him potentially going over Miami if he decides to leave Houston is USCalifornia. USC is an SEC team but is not nearly as attractive as Miami.

Advertisement
If you are serious about your career, winning is paramount. Most people still believe you can win here more easily. USC Trojans still top job.

Advertisement
Knowing our administrator Herman is not one of their top candidates.

He should be. And IF Miami wants him then they should do everything in their power to get him. If it doesn't work out, I'd be excited about Butch.

Advertisement
Back