Herman could be the next Brady Hoke

That's my point I don't trust this administration to hire a good up and coming coach. Good oc don't always mean good head coaches. Call me when he has adversity and how he handles it.

Advertisement
Michigan hired Hoke because they missed on Miles, and HAD TO HAVE A MICHIGAN MAN!

The coaches who most resemble Hoke are Chud, Schiano, and Cristobal.

The major selling point for any of them is that they used to coach at Miami ... Their actual records don't say they should be serious candidates. Just as Hoke's record didn't say he should have been a legit candidate for Michigan.

Harbaugh is a...?

That being said, just having general Miami connections should not be an automatic jump to the top of the list.

Schiano over Fuente and Herman just because he was a coach here for two years? No thanks.

Last edited:
Michigan hired Hoke because they missed on Miles, and HAD TO HAVE A MICHIGAN MAN!

The major selling point for any of them is that they used to coach at Miami ... Their actual records don't say they should be serious candidates. Just as Hoke's record didn't say he should have been a legit candidate for Michigan.

Harbaugh is a...?

That being said, just having general Miami connections should not be an automatic jump to the top of the list.

Schiano over Fuente and Herman just because he was a coach here for two years? No thanks.

insanely amazing coach

and a Michigan man.

Yep but that's a chance that UM can't take. Lane Kiffen looked promising his first year at Tennessee. He even made Florida sweat. Herman maybe good at Houston doesn't mean he would do well with the big boys.

Kiffin never made Florida sweat. Urban thought he was a joke, and he ended up being right.

Advertisement
what a dumb comparison. Hoke was never a coordinator in college...just a position coach that got a head coaching gig (much like Cristobal). He has no Xs and Os acumen like Herman does.

Harbaugh is a...?

insanely amazing coach

and a Michigan man.

My response was more to the point that Michigan went after Harbaugh in part because he was a Michigan man coupled with his coaching talents. The original post was painting that fact as a negative with Hoke and I'm showing that it goes both ways.

what a dumb comparison. Hoke was never a coordinator in college...just a position coach that got a head coaching gig (much like Cristobal). He has no Xs and Os acumen like Herman does.

Right. I don't get why it's necessary to trash Butch or Herman or any of the other candidates. Some of these guys are really, really good. Herman's a football freak with three standout characteristics: Xs and Os chops, leadership, mentality. Bonus: his assistant director of recruiting is an excellent choice. All are perfect fits for what we need. His risks exist, though. Not a great idea how he evaluates talent. No idea how he'll perform against legitimate competition. Less than a clear idea of what type of staff he'll bring (considering some may stay behind at Houston).

Advertisement
I'm with you, first Butch, then Herman, but not waaaayyy like you say. Herman is the truth, he must get a DC, and we will be rolling too!!

He has a DC. A good one too.

As for the OP, he's nothing like Hoke. Hoke was mediocre at SDSU. His best season was 9 wins. He was never a coordinator, let alone a NC winning coordinator. He came up under Lloyd Carr as a DL coach. In fact, Hoke most resembles Mario to me.

Yes yes yes this!!

Hoke = Mario, Chud and Schiano......

Biggest difference between Hoke and Herman is that Herman brings a track record of excellence as an offensive football coach. Hoke didn't excel at any point in his career as an OC or a DC. It's nice to have a HC who can actually call plays and do it with excellence or fix a sputtering offense or defense himself if he has to.

You could've said the same thing with Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, Charlie Strong, etc... when they first started. It's always a roll of the dice with coaches like this.

However, given Herman's recent success, I doubt he turns out to be Hoke.

"success" ? you mean Houston's wins over these powerhouses -- Tenn Tech, Texas State, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, UCF, etc..... yeah....very impressive. i see what you mean.

Advertisement
We can't take that chance. We experimented with Coker, Shannon, and Golden.

I wouldn't go that far...but if this was 2010, a Herman or Fuentes type of coach would've been perfect here. Miami is not in the position to find out too late that the up and comer from the AAC conference fizzled once they came up the ranks. I love Herman, but the fact is, he's dominating the 117th ranked SOS and we have no idea what would happen if he played better competition consistently.

Look no further than Golden (and please, I'm not comparing Herman to Golden). When we played bottom feeders and FCS schools....man we looked good, didn't we? What happened when the level of competition increased? We looked like Candy Canes.

We're simply not in that position to roll those types of dice now. We're on life support, so in that sense, we need the top safe choice, not a huge gamble.

You could've said the same thing with Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, Charlie Strong, etc... when they first started. It's always a roll of the dice with coaches like this.

Did anybody think Urban Meyer would be wildly successful? He was a position coach under Bob Davie and took the Bowling Green job. He doesn't even come with a great pedigree.

I will say this if you listen to Herman speak and watch Houston play I'd suspect he'll be successful. What I like about him is he has an edge as well and I think he'd be a really good fit at Miami. There's some risk but if we want a young guy then he's a good one to pursue.

wouldn't put charlie strong in there just yet.

Advertisement
We can't take that chance. We experimented with Coker, Shannon, and Golden.

I wouldn't go that far...but if this was 2010, a Herman or Fuentes type of coach would've been perfect here. Miami is not in the position to find out too late that the up and comer from the AAC conference fizzled once they came up the ranks. I love Herman, but the fact is, he's dominating the 117th ranked SOS and we have no idea what would happen if he played better competition consistently.

Look no further than Golden (and please, I'm not comparing Herman to Golden). When we played bottom feeders and FCS schools....man we looked good, didn't we? What happened when the level of competition increased? We looked like Candy Canes.

We're simply not in that position to roll those types of dice now. We're on life support, so in that sense, we need the top safe choice, not a huge gamble.

The thing about Herman though is that he coached at a big time program with big time talent, and he saw how Urban valued & used his athletes.

The biggest failing for Golden was he just couldn't deal with the difference between mid-major and 1st round talent. Couldn't evaluate it. Couldn't develop it. Couldn't put it in the right place at the right time.

Herman has been around one of the masters at this and has stated himself that if you have the horses but they don't fit your scheme, then you need to fix your scheme.

A guy who can evaluate and develop 1st round caliber talent will be successful. It's just a question of timing.

Like I said awake me when he grows some teeth. Hoke had a re?ally good first year and fizzled out. Everyone speaks well and sounder confident when they're winning. Even al was confident

Advertisement
Back