Herald Drops Saturday Print Edition

Advertisement
I remember when we used to get three papers at home...Herald and News were printed seven days a week. Also got the smaller tabloid Miami Beach Sun.

https://talkingbiznews.com/they-tal...saturday-print-with-expanded-weekend-edition/
Herald had two additions as I recall. Then again, writers use to know how to write and people use to know how to read. Although I have to admit, once I gave up smoking. coffee on the patio with the paper to read seemed empty. Don't think I've had newsprint on my fingers in dozen years.

Society further retreating into their own tribal bubbles.

Why would any reasonable person read any newspaper, watch CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.?

Why would any liberal watch Fox or read WSJ?

Today's ear of "hyper-tailoring" the experience drives us farther apart, not closer together.
Since the sons took over I stopped watching Fox(not enough short skirts). Now I watch OAN, but only for the news. I do miss watching older CNN. It was always Communist News Network since Ted started it, but they use to put on a better act and actually reported some news in the process. I haven't watch it in a good 10 years now.

Why would any reasonable person read any newspaper, watch CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.?

Today's ear of "hyper-tailoring" the experience drives us farther apart, not closer together.

Nothing like lamenting the further tribalism of America by calling one side "reasonable people" and the other side "liberals". 😂😂

Advertisement
Nothing like lamenting the further tribalism of America by calling one side "reasonable people" and the other side "liberals". 😂😂

I could have said libtards instead of liberals, but why get into name calling?

I could have said a group of citizens who throw temper tantrums and make up "what ought to be" vs what is actually in law, but that might throw them into hysterics.

Now why would I want to do that!?

What’s even crazier is I had to jerk off to a sears catalog back then , hold my beer

You'll occasionally hear about objective news being reported at an outlet followed by a flurry of outraged readers threatening to cancel.

If you want actual news with a minimum of political slant, you have to read foreign press.

Advertisement
You'll occasionally hear about objective news being reported at an outlet followed by a flurry of outraged readers threatening to cancel.

If you want actual news with a minimum of political slant, you have to read foreign press.
The press has never been honest. The idea that there was a golden age of honest news is the biggest lie of all time.

publishers have always had agendas.

I remember delivering the Evening Times as a kid. It was the afternoon edition of the Palm Beach Post. Can you imagine printing a whole newspaper twice a day?

Yup. I delivered an afternoon paper as a kid. We had a morning edition paper, an afternoon one and then regional/suburban papers too.

The downfall of newspapers has a lot negatives but I do find some karma when they went away from using kids as paperboys and decided to consolidate all the routes into massive ones for adults that owned molester vans. Was kind of an end to a part of Americana.

Won't be long before only paper delivery will be Sundays, if that. Any hope for survival is online, but needs to be done smartly as folks aren't eager to pay for online subscription.

The press has never been honest. The idea that there was a golden age of honest news is the biggest lie of all time.

publishers have always had agendas.
That would be why I said a minimum of political slant.

Back in the 80's it was all about drunk driving. MADD was everywhere. Drunk driving accidents were front page news. Then every state decided to crucify drunk drivers for even their first infraction. Then they moved on to the next cause. You'd think drunk driving accidents never happen anymore, but school shootings? You'd think your kid was being dropped off at a war zone these days. Yes, the press has always had an agenda. Remember The Maine was pushed by Hearst over a century ago to sell newspapers.

Foreign press is a lot less blatant and less obvious is all.

Advertisement
That would be why I said a minimum of political slant.

Back in the 80's it was all about drunk driving. MADD was everywhere. Drunk driving accidents were front page news. Then every state decided to crucify drunk drivers for even their first infraction. Then they moved on to the next cause. You'd think drunk driving accidents never happen anymore, but school shootings? You'd think your kid was being dropped off at a war zone these days. Yes, the press has always had an agenda. Remember The Maine was pushed by Hearst over a century ago to sell newspapers.

Foreign press is a lot less blatant and less obvious is all.
Yeah I’m with you. Was listening to a rogan podcast with Matt Tiabi recently and he was moaning about the days of only three networks and some golden age of unbiased news, which I found laughable. I’m triggered by this topic and the idea that self interest and disinformation are recent phenomena.

Young people today will be asking what a hard copy of the newspaper is...
By the mid-1990's it was called "keyboarding" class in some schools instead of "typing."

I remember going to a office Depot in the mid '90's and talking to the young kids working there that Saturday evening...it was a slow night.

I asked them if they knew what a mimeograph machine was...one of them had a vague idea, as I recall.

In the '50's, 60''s and '70's the schools ran on mimeograph machines. Everytime you had to distribute a lot of copies of a paper notice you typed a stencil, wrapped it around this inked roller on the machine and ran off copy after copy.

Sometimes got very messy.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Like the Guardian?

Like the Guardian?
Usually BBC news. Yes, the Guardian is as left wing as some of our stuff, so are the Mirror and Independent. One difference is they don't try to claim to be centrist like ours do.

Advertisement
Back