Heisman Dark Horse pick: Mark Walton

Walton is a grown *** man! Put me in the "wait and see" camp because I truly believe he is a special player with the potential to have an incredible season!

Advertisement
Last year He rushed for 1,117 yards and 14 TDs I think 2000 yards and 20TDs is possible with what is expected to be a better run blocking oline this year.

I see your logic, bro. I just don't agree with it. Yeah he ran for over 1100 yards, but in the games we lost, he really struggled to push the rock. UNC-82 yards, ND-45 yards, FSU-39 yards, and VaTech-38 yards. If he gets 100 each, we win 3 of 4 of those is not all 4, but it would take like 170-200 in those toughest games to get to 2000 for the year. I think 100 gets us a win and 150 gets him the bench. For that reason I think 1400-1500 is really a more realistic top-end campaign.

I just don't see us, with our other weapons on offense and our defense, needing 200 yards a game from Walton. I think if he gets anywhere near that the game will be put away and he should be on the bench.

The usual suspects will be talked about first... Lamar Jackson, JT Barrett (trash), Sam Darnold, and Baker Mayfield.

But as the season starts to shake out I can see Mark Walton creeping into the heisman conversation as long as he continues to put up the necessary numbers to warrant consideration.

Imo this is the perfect year for Mark to rush for 2000+yards with 20+TDs. Solidifying himself as one of the all time great rbs to come out of UM. And possibly winning the heisman as he carries this team to the Cfb playoffs.
Drunk typing is not a good thing.

Advertisement
All I am hoping for is that Walton continues to work hard, improve, stay healthy and protect the football.

If he wins the Heisman, great. But realistically we don't need a Heisman back to win the conference. We just need a solid fundamentally sound player (and he is that).

Last edited:
Walton claimed that Malik opened up the running game for him. You know teams stacked the box knowing Kaaya couldn't run.

For Walton to win the Heisman would mean our offensive line play was outstanding. With a decent to average offensive line a running back would need to have some wheels. Like Marshal Faulk and Reggie Bush type wheels with a knack for making a defenders miss and creasing a gap.

Walton does not have that type of speed so he has to lean more heavily on his offensive line. For example, FSU last couple of backs in Chris Thompson and Cook were speed demons. One slight crease and they were gone. Walton is more like a traditional running back that gets better when he is lathered up and the online is starting to force their will. I am not sure we have that type of line. If he played for Saban, then I could see Walton in the running for Heisman easily as they have that road grading line

Advertisement
Walton is starting to get some hype . This from matt Miller @nfldraftscout
Matt Miller'''s Scouting Notebook: Predicting the NFL'''s Biggest Position Battles | Bleacher Report

4. Mark Walton, Running Back (Miami)

Mark Walton burst onto the scene in 2016 when he rushed for over 100 yards in each of his first three games. The production slowed after that as Walton struggled to go over the century mark until November, when he once again ripped off three straight 100-yard games. With ideal balance, burst and vision, Walton looks like a future starting NFL back. He'll be asked to carry the Miami offense in 2017, which should give scouts a chance to see if he can improve his consistency.

[TWEET]902936482964545537[/TWEET]

Walton is starting to get some hype . This from matt Miller @nfldraftscout
Matt Miller'''s Scouting Notebook: Predicting the NFL'''s Biggest Position Battles | Bleacher Report

4. Mark Walton, Running Back (Miami)

Mark Walton burst onto the scene in 2016 when he rushed for over 100 yards in each of his first three games. The production slowed after that as Walton struggled to go over the century mark until November, when he once again ripped off three straight 100-yard games. With ideal balance, burst and vision, Walton looks like a future starting NFL back. He'll be asked to carry the Miami offense in 2017, which should give scouts a chance to see if he can improve his consistency.

[TWEET]902936482964545537[/TWEET]

You guys forget..we play FSU the 3rd game of the season this year..thats when people get hyped the most. Remember in 2004 when Antrel Rolle went Ape$hit against FSU and **** he was in the Heisman convo for at least that entire month.

He balls against FSU on national TV and leads us to victory..he will be in the conversation and lets see where it goes from there.

Love Walton but cmon man. 2k is rarefied air.

I do think 20 total td's (receiving included) is within his reach - he has a knack for finding paydirt.

Glad he'll be in the conversation. Not durable enough to romp all season long putting up headline grabbing numbers up every week.

Advertisement
this is the perfect year for Mark to rush for 2000+yards with 20+TDs.

200w.gif

Love Walton but cmon man. 2k is rarefied air.

I do think 20 total td's (receiving included) is within his reach - he has a knack for finding paydirt.

2k is maybe a stretch but I'm sure he cane have a 1600 close to 20 tds season. Had 1117 yards 14 tds while only getting 48% of Miami Carries. His carries should increase this year imo and the fact that he has progressed every year he has been at Miami

He shouldn't get more than 10 carries on Saturday. If CMR keeps him in that pre-season game to get Heisman stats, that's dumb. It's about wins.

Advertisement
The usual suspects will be talked about first... Lamar Jackson, JT Barrett (trash), Sam Darnold, and Baker Mayfield.

But as the season starts to shake out I can see Mark Walton creeping into the heisman conversation as long as he continues to put up the necessary numbers to warrant consideration.

Imo this is the perfect year for Mark to rush for 2000+yards with 20+TDs. Solidifying himself as one of the all time great rbs to come out of UM. And possibly winning the heisman as he carries this team to the Cfb playoffs.

After reading Black Vern's thread, I am sure that Gus the Bus is going to be the unanimous selection. Why even play the season? Done Deal! SMDH

Advertisement
Back