Heather Spinach: Canes 9th best odds to make CFP

Heather Dinnich is a goofy nerd. Bet she’s a freak in bed.

Does this count as a “Kiss of Death”? She used to pick ACC teams back when she was a beat on the conference and I remember her always selecting the losing team to win.

Advertisement
I can't stomach saying the 2 word team's name at #5 but she must have been drunk when she picked them this high. Open at Taint, at Carolina in game four. Could be 2 and 2 after 4. Also play Clemson at 2 words and will finish at USC. I happily don't see it happening for them, especially with the rookie head coach.

Tom Cruise What GIF

This team is structurally better. Here are the two rosters side by side:

Quarterbacks: Advantage 2022
Tight End: Advantage 2022
Wide Receiver: Advantage 2022
Offensive Line: Even
Running Backs: Even
Defensive End: Advantage 2022
Defensive Line: Even
Linebacker: Advantage 2017
Safety: Advantage 2022
Cornerback: Advantage 2022
Special Teams: Advantage 2022
I would pushback on the secondary being better in 2022 until proven otherwise. We are deeper in 2022, but the guys who started in 2017 have proven it more. Johnson, had an unbelievable 2017.

Wide receiver, I would say 2017. I’m taking BB over X everyday until proven otherwise. BB made some huge catches for us. And even though Richards was hurt, he was a #1 threat that teams have to scheme for, 2022 currently doesn’t have that.

Even running back. I’d probably take the 2017 room, Walton was a beast, so was homer after Walton went down. Dallas came on strong at times. If Citizen and Chaney were healthy I would lean 2022.

I’d take the 2022 o line over the 2017 o line. I think that group is going to surprise. They were solid last year in pass protection

Agree on special teams, this year should be some of the best special teams we have had in years with the depth we are building.

After the top 3 one can pull names from a hat. Clemson needs to have their freshman QB pull off a Lawrence.

Advertisement
I'm shocked ND is as high as they are. They start the season as a 16 point dog to OSU. They are going to have avoid getting blown out in that game, avoid any unforeseen bumps in the road (UNC, USC on the road), AND losing to Clemson at home. If any of those 3 things happen, without a conference championship, they are toast. I can't see a 17% of making the playoffs.

I still see 9-3 for the this team. Heather is a goof imo, but you know I gotta admit. That 1983 team came out of nowhere and won the title. Yes it was 40 years ago but still......

But hey, I'm just glad college football is back!

I would pushback on the secondary being better in 2022 until proven otherwise. We are deeper in 2022, but the guys who started in 2017 have proven it more. Johnson, had an unbelievable 2017.

Wide receiver, I would say 2017. I’m taking BB over X everyday until proven otherwise. BB made some huge catches for us. And even though Richards was hurt, he was a #1 threat that teams have to scheme for, 2022 currently doesn’t have that.

Even running back. I’d probably take the 2017 room, Walton was a beast, so was homer after Walton went down. Dallas came on strong at times. If Citizen and Chaney were healthy I would lean 2022.

I’d take the 2022 o line over the 2017 o line. I think that group is going to surprise. They were solid last year in pass protection

Agree on special teams, this year should be some of the best special teams we have had in years with the depth we are building.
Good points.

Although I do believe that by the end of the season Brashard will be used a lot like Dallas was in 2017 so you may have to factor that in.

Also Chaney will hopefully be back by the start of conference play.

Advertisement

1. Ohio State
Last year's record: 11-2
2022 chance to make playoff: 83.1%
2022 chance to win national title: 27.3%

2. Alabama
Last year's record: 13-2
2022 chance to make playoff: 79.7%
2022 chance to win national title: 30.1%

3. Georgia
Last year's record: 14-1
2022 chance to make playoff: 75.2%
2022 chance to win national title: 24.3%

4. Clemson
Last year's record: 10-3
2022 chance to make playoff: 58.2%
2022 chance to win national title: 10.4%

5. Notre Dame
2022 chance to make playoff: 17.9%
2022 chance to win national title: 1.7%

6. Michigan
Last year's record: 12-2
Chance to make playoff: 17.6%
Chance to win national title: 1.5%

7. Texas
Last year's record: 5-7
Chance to make playoff: 17.4%
Chance to win national title: 1.6%

8. Oklahoma
Chance to make playoff: 11.3%
Chance to win national title: 0.9%

9. Miami
Last year's record: 7-5
Chance to make playoff: 8.8%
Chance to win national title: 0.5%
Toughest test: Sept. 17 at Texas A&M. This will indicate how seriously to take Miami as a contender under first-year coach Mario Cristobal, and a win would also give the Canes a résumé booster that will last the entire season.
What the committee will like: Road wins. In addition to the early trip to A&M, Miami plays at Virginia Tech and at Clemson -- two extremely difficult venues. These trips could either propel the Canes into the top four or knock them out of the conversation entirely. The Nov. 19 crossover game at Clemson could be a sneak preview of the ACC championship game.
What the committee won't like: An 0-2 record against both the Aggies and Clemson. Yes, Miami could redeem a regular-season loss to Clemson in the ACC championship game if they win their respective divisions, but there's not enough on the rest of the schedule for a two-loss ACC champ to finish in the top four without some chaos elsewhere.

10. Utah
Last year's record: 10-4
Chance to make playoff: 7.2%
Chance to win national title: 0.4%

11. Oklahoma State
Last year's record: 12-2
Chance to make playoff: 4.0%
Chance to win national title: 0.2%

12. LSU
Last year's record: 6-7
Chance to make playoff: 3.2%
Chance to win national title: 0.2%

13. Michigan State
Chance to make playoff: 2.2%
Chance to win national title: 0.1%

14. Auburn
Chance to make playoff: 2.1%

15. Texas A&M
Last year's record: 8-4
Chance to make playoff: 2.0%

16. Penn State
Last year's record: 7-6
Chance to make playoff: 1.8%

17. Pitt
Last year's record: 11-3
Chance to make playoff: 1.3%
Chance to win national title: .1%

18. North Carolina
Chance to make playoff: 1.2%

19. Kentucky
Last year's record: 10-3
Chance to make playoff: 1.1%

20. Cincinnati
Last year's record: 13-1
Chance to make playoff: 1.0%
Chance to win national title: <0.1%
Couple of teams not on this list
You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

I'm shocked ND is as high as they are. They start the season as a 16 point dog to OSU. They are going to have avoid getting blown out in that game, avoid any unforeseen bumps in the road (UNC, USC on the road), AND losing to Clemson at home. If any of those 3 things happen, without a conference championship, they are toast. I can't see a 17% of making the playoffs.
OSU is going to embarrass ND and I will love every second of it.

Advertisement
This team is structurally better. Here are the two rosters side by side:

View attachment 205406View attachment 205407View attachment 205408

Quarterbacks: Advantage 2022
Tight End: Advantage 2022
Wide Receiver: Advantage 2022
Offensive Line: Even
Running Backs: Even
Defensive End: Advantage 2022
Defensive Line: Even
Linebacker: Advantage 2017
Safety: Advantage 2022
Cornerback: Advantage 2022
Special Teams: Advantage 2022

Mostly I agree, but at couple things:

That 2017 roster had 7 "NFL" caliber players on offense with a special player at WR in Ahmmon Richards. This roster likely has ~11, with ~4/5 of those spots at QB/OL (IMO the two most important positions in modern College Football) compared to maybe 2 OL (MAYBE) from 2017 and no NFL-caliber QBs. I think that in and of itself gives this roster the advantage. I can't see the OL comparison as being an "Even" battle.

KC McDermott and Nick Linder get snaps on this year's Miami OL. Who else? Freshman-year Donaldson? Ok. Even if I can see that, he doesn't come in and start early like he did on that OL.

Zion, Jalen Rivers, Clarke, Scaife all find a role in the 2017 rotation and likely lift that group above its level that year.

Aside from that, I think you're underselling the 2017 CB group. That group of corners was SOLID despite their low numbers at the position. They made a LOT of plays on the ball that year.

Does this count as a “Kiss of Death”? She used to pick ACC teams back when she was a beat on the conference and I remember her always selecting the losing team to win.
What did she do wrong here?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back