Head to Head with the Big Boys: O$U Edition

Advertisement
💯. After decades of not playing good defense in their conference, OU is fixing to get regular a@@-whoopings in the SEC. That’s why they hired a defensive-oriented HC..who started 6-7 in a much weaker conference and appears to flailing. I don’t think the Venables experiment will be successful & OU will end up being a doormat in the SEC for years to come.
Right when they get a defensive HC they won't be able to score for years. They killed their own momentum and had an identity They were an offensive power just stay the course. Should of hired another O guy keep your identity maybe sneak into a playoff and stay relevant. They cost themselves their own future they may go through it soon.

You don’t know that we didn’t have the highest offer. He chose a more certain situation given the recent history. Innis took way less money last cycle to go to OSU over us. No one is doing what the gator tried doing with Rashada.
You’re right……I don’t know but if they went over the top with an offer he likely signs and become the gravitational force for other elite recruit, JMO

You’re right……I don’t know but if they went over the top with an offer he likely signs and become the gravitational force for other elite recruit, JMO
Not necessarily though I don’t know the specifics on the QB. There’s over the top and then there’s UiF to Rashada level though UiF has definitely upped their NIL game this year. We’re not them. Even paying more, some of these guys have preferred destinations for valid reasons. That’s where doing better on the field matters. It puts us in the game more seriously.

Here’s the positive I’m seeing and it’s shocking to me in an unexpected and good way. We’ve already started loading the OL. TE and RB are very solid. I never expected us to be a player for WRs this cycle. We’ve already got Chance and Jo Jo.

As crazy as I looked at people for suggesting this a month ago, show a good offense and maybe Jeremiah Smith sees enough to stay home and play with his childhood friends.

Then we’re going into the next cycle with every piece a QB could want. A lot rests on how we do this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't get these threads. Are they feel good threads?

No.

Here are some reasons for the threads:

1. Gauge to see if we're recruiting the right blue chip players. Under Richt and Dias and even before that, Miami has had high blue chip ratios, but we really weren't going head to head against Bama, UGA, O$U etc for most of our recruits. We were recruiting the wrong 4* players. If we're battling the big boys for most of our recruits, we're on the right path.
  2. Gauge to see if Mario is targeting recruits that will eventually get us back to the CFB. Similar to point 1, if we've got enough of these battles, we're on the right path.
  3. Verify that we're winning at least 25-40% of these battles. If we win at least a quarter of these elite recruit battles, we're going to be ok assuming we're recruiting enough of them.
  4. Eliminate "feelings" about how we're doing against school X, Y, Z. We constantly have posters saying school XYZ owns us, but they don't have the data to back it up. Its just based on how they "feel" after losing a couple of recruits. You can't argue with the facts in the tables.
  5. Visualize trends and patterns. Unlike @Memnon , I can't just read a bunch of articles and have a perfect memory of what the situation is. The table format lets me visualize if we're on the right path or wrong path in these recruiting wars.
  6. I like using the tables that @Andrew added. Ok, I jest (sorta). I do like how they look though.

Advertisement
You can't argue with the facts in the tables.
Upon reflection, I forgot this was CIS. We can argue with anyone about anything regardless if its a losing/hopeless proposition.

Angry Chicken GIF by happydog

Massive update to the OP. Hoping for at least two more flips and more updates to the OP in the next couple of weeks. Have mercy, things sure have changed outlook since early August.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Second thread tracking our success recruiting against the big boys for key recruits. For years, Hartline has used SFE as a farm team and implemented reign of terror, taking whichever elite WR he wants from South Florida. Flo says the guard starts to change beginning with this cycle and the reign of terror ends after this cycle.

Reign Of Terror Ttrpg GIF by zoefannet

RecruitCollegeComments
Prentiss "Air" NolandO$UWas our #1 QB target
Jeremiah SmithO$UIs everyone's #1 WR target
Joshisa "JoJo" TraderMiamiUnclear how much Hartline wanted him. Sign of the guard changing?
Justin ScottMiami O$UFlipped to the Canes @Lance Roffers said he'd would be a Cane but momma vetoed that option
Tywone MaloneO$UWas our top DT target in the second portal phase
Marquise LightfootMiamiInsiders thought he was an O$U lock
Dylan StewartUSCeMaybe the most important battle this cycle
Elias RudolphMiami MichiganFlipped to the Canes. Unsure how aggresively O$U recruited him, @DMoney says we're still working on flipping him
Jordan LyleO$UBeen on flip watch for a minute
Chance RobinsonMiamiO$U and Hartline desperately wanted to flip him.

RecruitCollegeComments
Brandon InnisO$UOur top WR target, season torpedoed any chance here
Mark FletcherMiamiLate flip to Miami after decommitting from O$U
Jayden BonsuO$UMiami lean forever, O$U flipped late after whiffing on higher priority targets
Raul "Popo" AguirreMiamiVisited O$U, unclear how aggressively they recruited or if they thought it was a lost cause.
Riley WilliamsMiamiEveryone's #1 TE target
I don’t think Smith is everyone’s number 1 target at wr just saying

Advertisement
Back