Head Coach Candidates

Pannone would be very interesting. Assuming we’re even in the process. Which we’re not.

Even if we were, would he leave Alabama on a lateral move? I doubt L demotes Bill (and doubt Bill leaves anytime soon). That would mean Kotie or DJ would have to go.

Just too many improbables here really.
Kotie just came on and DJ was instrumental in landing Bethea, so I doubt we'd move on from him. I do think leveling up from a lead assistant standpoint could help but I don't see that moving the needle much.

Advertisement
Very interesting background.

The guy is the real deal. Wish we would've got on him before. Dude is relentless with his work. Always has been.

Advertisement
Pannone would be very interesting. Assuming we’re even in the process. Which we’re not.

Even if we were, would he leave Alabama on a lateral move? I doubt L demotes Bill (and doubt Bill leaves anytime soon). That would mean Kotie or DJ would have to go.

Just too many improbables here really.
Guys are always looking to be close to home if a good/great opportunity exists. An opportunity to be the HC someday would be just that. And hiring him as an assistant first would immediately give him the inside track to relieve Coach L once he leaves.

Shaka is never leaving Marquette
You are probably right, I do think when our HC gig opens up we will be able to attract a lot of top candidates. Coach L has been here for almost 15 years, which shows the next guy will have legit job security. Your pair that with all of our new facilities, NIL and location and you have one of the Top 25 best College basketball jobs in the country.

Advertisement
The big money boosters almost always prefer local so I would think someone like Anthony Grant would be their preference
Grant would make a lot of sense, local guy with tons of experience. 334-177 overall record with 16 years of head coaching experience.

Josh Schertz is one **** of a coach. He only makes 365k at Indiana St. Bring him in for 2.5 mil and we will be rolling in no time.

Whomever it is I hope they can recruit South Florida better.
This is what happens when people that don't know a **** thing about basketball run their mouths. L has had some of the best recruiting classes IN PROGRAM HISTORY, without needing to hit South Florida. Never mind the fact that outside of some elite recruits he has been heavy on, South Florida talent has been overrated for YEARS, especially for basketball. Are there athletes? Yes, but as we've seen time and time again, local kids aren't camping out for Miami basketball offers, the sales pitch isn't nearly as attractive to kids. Amazing how Miami is able to hit places like DC, NYC/NJ, Boston and other basketball hotbeds for talent, and those kids are more than willing to come and play here. Get talent, who gives a **** where it comes from. Give me a coach that can do what L does, that's recruit at a solid level and DEVELOP TALENT. L has done that throughout his time here and outside of having his program shanked by the NCAA and some rebuilds after big runs, it's been a **** good run. L has been BY FAR the most successful coach in program history.

They just made the final 4 and the elite 8 before that. We have an excellent location and a very good NIL team. We have the upside to be a consistent Top 20 basketball program.
We've had that upside for **** near ever, and only two HOF quality coaches have had any significant success here and Ham had to build from absolute zero. People forget that there's also downsides to this program, issues that will likely NEVER change. As we've seen this year, one disappointing season, and the fanbase bails. We're one of the few major programs where the bulk of our "Fanbase" openly cheers for schools in our conference(The 'Canes football/UNC or Duke basketball fans are thick as **** around here). NIL is great, but it's beyond apparent that even when the program is doing well, there isn't the same buy in from the fans and the community as there is at other schools. Miami is a good job, not elite and honestly, you have to be willing to fight battles that coaches at similar schools don't have to fight. Unless you are a Coach L type, who has an affinity for the community and was at a point in his career where he wanted the challenge, there's far better places to go.

Advertisement
This is what happens when people that don't know a **** thing about basketball run their mouths. L has had some of the best recruiting classes IN PROGRAM HISTORY, without needing to hit South Florida. Never mind the fact that outside of some elite recruits he has been heavy on, South Florida talent has been overrated for YEARS, especially for basketball. Are there athletes? Yes, but as we've seen time and time again, local kids aren't camping out for Miami basketball offers, the sales pitch isn't nearly as attractive to kids. Amazing how Miami is able to hit places like DC, NYC/NJ, Boston and other basketball hotbeds for talent, and those kids are more than willing to come and play here. Get talent, who gives a **** where it comes from. Give me a coach that can do what L does, that's recruit at a solid level and DEVELOP TALENT. L has done that throughout his time here and outside of having his program shanked by the NCAA and some rebuilds after big runs, it's been a **** good run. L has been BY FAR the most successful coach in program history.
There has been a lot of pretty good basketball players out of SF over the years -Not just good athletes but, totally agree with you about the way Larranaga recruits he’s done a fantastic job no doubt he’s the best basketball coach in their history-Scottie Barnes ,Vernon Carey Jr.,John Collins and others none of them were going to Miami alls I’m saying I like to see a little South Florida flavor on the team-I remember years ago they got Jermaine Walker out of Ely one of the most talented kids ever out of South Florida for whatever reason he never panned out-They did get Angel Rodriquez,Stevie Edwards one of the Edward bros who wasn’t great but, not bad either-
There are so pretty good players that have come out of here like Eddie Jones Ely, Mitch Richmond Boyd Anderson,Stevie Blakes and Udonis Haslem Miami High ,Derek Harper West Palm Beach ,Otis Thorpe Lake Worth,Richard Relliford Riviera Beach ,Michal Thompson Miami Jackson Klay’s father ,Vernon Delancey Miami High,Chris Corchiani Hialeah Miami Lakes high who I think is still the ACC’s all time assist leader-These are players from different decades yes most never would have gone to Miami-
Next year will be better with Jalil Bethea coming in-

Coach L is a product of Archbishop Malloy in Queens NY of the richest traditions in NYC basketball history they produced Kenny Anderson ,Kenny Smith,and many others -His coach Jack Curran is a high school basketball legend he passed several years ago-
Coach attended Providence he was a helluva player himself he played with two of the greatest guards in college basketball history in Jimmy Walker who’s Jalen Roses father and Ernie DiGregorio who was a combination of Steve Nash and Jason Williams back then.

Last edited:
As an Arizona fan I would love love love Miller down here but he's the leader for the Ohio state job. If he doesn't get it he's staying at Xavier for awhile. Don't think he'd want to live in sofla either.
Miller is trash, I’d be embarrassed as an alum if that dude was associated with UMiami. No thanks.

Miller is trash, I’d be embarrassed as an alum if that dude was associated with UMiami. No thanks.
You think he's trash for on court acumen or off court issues? On court, he's had a lot of success. I always thought he was a pretty good coach. I mean when you compare him to other HC's at the collegiate level, he's one of the most successful coaches around. Didn't start losing at Arizona until the NCAA came knocking with their investigation for "illegally paying players". The audacity of Miller. How could he do what most top coaches have been doing for years? Lot of talk of him getting the head job in Columbus. But as long as he hasn't broken any laws, I wouldn't have a problem with him taking over at Miami someday.

Advertisement
No, this is what happens when folks aren't understanding the recruiting landscape and how the politics behind it work. There are 10-12 scholarships available. The staff should go out of state for whomever they want. One thing has nothing to do with other. It's not like recruiting in Florida will prevent them from going out of state for kids. Like, what are we talking about? You go grab the best players you can. No matter where they're from. All I'm saying and I think most will agree with this is that instead of going out of state for a top 200 kid (i.e. Anthony Walker, Gak, Waardenberg, Rodney Miller, etc.) we should be going after guys like RaQuan Gray, Paul Reed, and Kai Jones (all guys who we didn't recruit at all, or waited til the last month to do so). Enough with the "we don't need to recruit Florida" crap. Y'all are living in the last century.

Steve Alford
Rich Pitino
Danny Sprinkle
Chris Gerlufsen
Bryce Drew
Talvin Hester
Justin Joyner
Chris Acker

Advertisement
Back