Head Coach Candidates

Don’t want:
Caputo
Andy Enfield
Konkol
Frank Martin

Anthony Grant would probably be the front runner. I’d think there are other attractive candidates and zeroing in on him shouldn’t be the narrative

Advertisement
Dusty May, Anthony Grant
Amir Abdur-Rahim is a good looking up and comer. May have to prove a little more over the next 2 years.

And I agree that there is not good reason to leave S. Florida talent untouched unless they are top 10 players. We've had a lot of lower ranked players from up north that didn't pan out so why pass on some these local kids.

Steve Alford
Rich Pitino
Danny Sprinkle
Chris Gerlufsen
Bryce Drew
Talvin Hester
Justin Joyner
Chris Acker
Alford has struggled when not at a mid major and he’s never proven to be a strong recruiter.

Pitino isn’t leaving NYC. Same with Sprinkle and the PNW. Rest of the list is meh outside of Drew

Last edited:
Dusty May, Anthony Grant
Amir Abdur-Rahim is a good looking up and comer. May have to prove a little more over the next 2 years.

And I agree that there is not good reason to leave S. Florida talent untouched unless they are top 10 players. We've had a lot of lower ranked players from up north that didn't pan out so why pass on some these local kids.
May is going to end up at Ohio St or Indiana. AAR should get gobbled up this cycle. The turnaround of Kennesaw St was incredible if you know anything about that program and he now has a historical doormat program in USF on the brink of a tourney bid. Guy is legit.

I can see Grant ultimately getting the first call. He wouldn’t be an aggressive hire by any means but he’s done a really good job at Dayton and has the UF experience/local ties going for him. Wouldn't be a grand slam but very Mario-esque as far as someone who knows the area intimately and has won at other stops (VCU and Dayton mainly).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don’t want:
Caputo
Andy Enfield
Konkol
Frank Martin

Anthony Grant would probably be the front runner. I’d think there are other attractive candidates and zeroing in on him shouldn’t be the narrative
Yea that's a rough list. I actually believe Caputo can be a viable candidate for a bigger job down the line but he's got his work cut out for him at GW. Jamion Christian really left the cupboard bear.

Enfield has made some runs at USC but his total body of work has been fairly middle of the road given how down the PAC-12 has been over the past decade. Certainly recruits at a high level, but outside of the Elite Eight run a few years ago, he tends to squander a lot of the talent he brings in.

I would have been open to Konkol while he was at La Tech had Jim resigned during the whole Adidas fiasco but he's been really bad at Tulsa (6-28 in conference games). I've mentioned this a couple of times but Tony Skinn would be a name I'd look at if we wanted to hire off the Larranaga tree, but he's still fairly unproven.

Frank Martin would be an absolutely disastrous hire. I thought he should have been the guy back when L got hired given his success at Kansas State but, outside of the fluke Final Four run at South Carolina in '17, he never went to the tourney any other year. He's also an abrasive prick and would go completely against the grain of the culture the L has worked so hard to instill over the past decade plus.

Alford has struggled when not at a mid major and he’s never proven to be a strong recruiter.

Pitino isn’t leaving NYC. Same with Sprinkle and the PNW. Rest of the list is meh outside of Drew
Richard Pitino isn’t Rick Pitino.

Advertisement
May is going to end up at Ohio St or Indiana. AAR should get gobbled up this cycle. The turnaround of Kennesaw St was incredible if you know anything about that program and he now has a historical doormat program in USF on the brink of a tourney bid. Guy is legit.

I can see Grant ultimately getting the first call. He wouldn’t be an aggressive hire by any means but he’s done a really good job at Dayton and has the UF experience/local ties going for him. Wouldn't be a grand slam but very Mario-esque as far as someone who knows the area intimately and has won at other stops (VCU and Dayton mainly).

Grant crashed and burned at Alabama. Plus he's at his alma mater now. He seems better suited for the mid-majors.

Grant crashed and burned at Alabama. Plus he's at his alma mater now. He seems better suited for the mid-majors.
He had a winning record in conference in the SEC, which is not an easy conference to win in by any means. Also went to the postseason 4 out of 6 years and won 20+ games in 3 of those 6 years. Not exemplary by any means but I'd hardly call that crashing and burning.

He's certainly enjoyed more success at places like VCU and Dayton and it's very possible that he's plenty happy at the latter given that's where he went to college.

Advertisement
Pitino is in New Mexico..........

Rick told the media he'd love to see Rich take over for him at St. John's.

“I personally want him to stay at New Mexico,” Rick began. “I want him to stay at New Mexico until I leave St. John’s and he can take my place then."

Sounds like Rick wants him close to home so he can still be a part of the scene to me... But, he had this to say about Rich landing elsewhere (Miami perhaps):

"The one thing I can tell you about my son, Richard: I have no say in what he does. I did when he was my assistant coach. He’s his own man. So if he wants to go to DePaul, or any place else, that’s going to be his call.”

Say what you will about Rick, but I am going to miss him when he is no longer around. He may have his faults, but he is a rare breed, and one of the best basketball minds we'll ever experience in our lives.

Rick told the media he'd love to see Rich take over for him at St. John's.

“I personally want him to stay at New Mexico,” Rick began. “I want him to stay at New Mexico until I leave St. John’s and he can take my place then."

Sounds like Rick wants him close to home so he can still be a part of the scene to me... But, he had this to say about Rich landing elsewhere (Miami perhaps):

"The one thing I can tell you about my son, Richard: I have no say in what he does. I did when he was my assistant coach. He’s his own man. So if he wants to go to DePaul, or any place else, that’s going to be his call.”

Say what you will about Rick, but I am going to miss him when he is no longer around. He may have his faults, but he is a rare breed, and one of the best basketball minds we'll ever experience in our lives.

I know guys who have played for him and guys who have coached with him. To a man, they all say the same thing. ******* as a person, but one of the great basketball minds ever.

Advertisement
I know guys who have played for him and guys who have coached with him. To a man, they all say the same thing. ******* as a person, but one of the great basketball minds ever.

I can 100% see that. He has a very hit or miss personality.

But guys like rick dgaf what others think.

He is a hoops junkie, an absolute savant, and more importantly, a producer.

With Repole backing him, I think this is the worst you'll see St. John's until he flies the coop.

I can 100% see that. He has a very hit or miss personality.

But guys like rick dgaf what others think.

He is a hoops junkie, an absolute savant, and more importantly, a producer.

With Repole backing him, I think this is the worst you'll see St. John's until he flies the coop.
Jay wright wants the Miami job

Advertisement
Back