He said , she said

Advertisement
In a vacuum, I do not see an issue with a longer search and interview process for an AD. In fact, having the time and ability to be thorough would be great. However, they had to fire Blake and start during the spring, summer, or even early fall if that was what they wanted. The issue was them sitting on their hands when it was abundantly clear for years that Blake was out of his depth and needed to go. They knew when the season ended, and after the first month of the season knew a decision on Manny was needed on or around that date. They lost the luxury of looking competent and doing a longer search by waiting to fire Blake. They really needed a clear 1-2 candidates and a fast resolution given everything leading up to it.

Absolutely true. Your entire post is yet another reason why I am so frustrated with the LATENESS of delegating to Echevarria and Fernandez, and only because Herbstreit destroyed Frenk on live teevee. If you put those two guys in charge SIX MONTHS earlier, all of this nightmare never happens.

Advertisement
All you need to know about Navarro, is that he got caught up in the Gruden nonsense, in his typical unintelligent way, He jumped on board without having any real information. That will tell you what kind of a journalist he is.

In a vacuum, I do not see an issue with a longer search and interview process for an AD. In fact, having the time and ability to be thorough would be great. However, they had to fire Blake and start during the spring, summer, or even early fall if that was what they wanted. The issue was them sitting on their hands when it was abundantly clear for years that Blake was out of his depth and needed to go. They knew when the season ended, and after the first month of the season knew a decision on Manny was needed on or around that date. They lost the luxury of looking competent and doing a longer search by waiting to fire Blake. They really needed a clear 1-2 candidates and a fast resolution given everything leading up to it.
I mean, looking competent and doing things correctly is all out the window now. If Manny Diaz won't be our coach next year these next 4-6 days are crucial. Brian Kelly just left Notre Dame with a shot at the CFB playoffs because early signing day is that important and to delay his departure by even a day presents a massive setback for him and the program.

As soon as the PAC-12 Championship game is over Mario is going to want to sort out his future. If we can't present a coherent pitch for him -- I'd imagine that's contingent on having an AD -- immediately after the game then we'll leave him no choice but to commit to Oregon for another year.

I know it’s been reported by some people Nunez pulled out , as if he passed on the job. On my end that’s false, that comes from multiple people I trust.

I’m pretty sure the other people are getting their info from the Nunez side. I’m not even sure of how close he was to getting the job. It was definitely more bs being put out.

As I posted last night Miami is currently pushing for a power five Ad. If that is the AD Miami hires it’ll make it obvious Nunez was never the choice.

View attachment 164292
Usually when a candidate “pulls his name from consideration” that means the ppl hiring moved in a different direction. And to save face or rep..the candidate or his agent goes ahead and puts this out. We see it in Coaching all the time

Advertisement
So you were friends with the bear?
Lol. This is wayyyyyyy back in the day. Maybe 20 years ago. They all met on Grassy and carpooled up to the FSU game. DBC is the same in person as he is on Twitter. He also wears velcro shoes.

Reason for the shoes is because he’s autistic. While it’s easy to poke fun of DBC, keep in mind that people out there are poking fun of a guy with autism. He has someone who cares for him because he can’t live on his own. The guy can’t help himself. I give him a free pass. Also worth mentioning, my buddies said he’s a really nice guy. That’s what matters at the end of the day.

There’s a faction here that absolutely loves Kirby. There’s a man crush thing going on. Let them have it.

I find it amusing and cringe worthy at the same time.

I mean he seems like a nice enough guy, but he’s just an entertainment personality, I’ve never actually heard anything super knowledgeable from him about football, to be honest. But he seems like a nice guy, wouldn’t mind having him as a neighbor.

But he doesn’t blow my doors off with his football knowledge.

Never did I acclaim to have an affection for Herbie. He can pick and choose what he wants to speak about, however.

Lol. This is wayyyyyyy back in the day. Maybe 20 years ago. They all met on Grassy and carpooled up to the FSU game. DBC is the same in person as he is on Twitter. He also wears velcro shoes.

Reason for the shoes is because he’s autistic. While it’s easy to poke fun of DBC, keep in mind that people out there are poking fun of a guy with autism. He has someone who cares for him because he can’t live on his own. The guy can’t help himself. I give him a free pass. Also worth mentioning, my buddies said he’s a really nice guy. That’s what matters at the end of the day.
You had me laughing, then feeling like a d**k!

Advertisement
I mean, looking competent and doing things correctly is all out the window now. If Manny Diaz won't be our coach next year these next 4-6 days are crucial. Brian Kelly just left Notre Dame with a shot at the CFB playoffs because early signing day is that important and to delay his departure by even a day presents a massive setback for him and the program.

As soon as the PAC-12 Championship game is over Mario is going to want to sort out his future. If we can't present a coherent pitch for him -- I'd imagine that's contingent on having an AD -- immediately after the game then we'll leave him no choice but to commit to Oregon for another year.
I don't disagree. We have completely bungled the timing of all of this. Things may end up fine with who we get as AD, but the process to get there was an unmitigated disaster, and one that was entirely avoidable. It is what happens when you are reactive instead of proactive with a clear plan. There are so many places in the process this applies to as well - when they fired Blake, when the other two guys became involved, when the search firm was engaged, the time between interviews, identifying candidates, and I am sure countless other things.

For sure, it’s obvious he’s got some issues… wasn’t poking fun at him in that way, just more of a folklore tale is all, he’s a legend in his own right.. I’ve heard he’s a good dude, just in his own world is all, anyone who actually clowns him knowing the issues he has should really look in the mirror

Advertisement
I don't disagree. We have completely bungled the timing of all of this. Things may end up fine with who we get as AD, but the process to get there was an unmitigated disaster, and one that was entirely avoidable. It is what happens when you are reactive instead of proactive with a clear plan. There are so many places in the process this applies to as well - when they fired Blake, when the other two guys became involved, when the search firm was engaged, the time between interviews, identifying candidates, and I am sure countless other things.
It's why I don't think retaining Manny is out of the realm of possibility anymore. If we can't land an AD in the next week then the top coaching market will have all but dried up.

Absolutely true. Your entire post is yet another reason why I am so frustrated with the LATENESS of delegating to Echevarria and Fernandez, and only because Herbstreit destroyed Frenk on live teevee. If you put those two guys in charge SIX MONTHS earlier, all of this nightmare never happens.
So true.

Dude I planned on doing a thread after things calmed down some on how vital Vilma has been. He’s been a blessing.

As you said he was the brains behind the public evisceration by Herbie. JV is one of the people who had a plan and shown leadership, while very few knew it.

Good to hear. I also recall he was a staunch supporter of Manny's hiring?

Advertisement
Back