Has the ACC given an update [on FSU game Safety]

Advertisement
Here's their answer on it.

“The rule is where the ball is when initial contact is made by the defender,” the representative said.

Of course anyone who saw the replay knows it's bull****.

Actually that is a great explanation of the rule. The only issue is that there is absolutely no angle of any video that shows even a part of the ball out of the end zone on initial contact let alone the whole ball which is what is required by rule.

Didn’t this actually work out okay? They punted short. We then got 3 rather than 2. The free kick would have been from the 20 I assume. Less likely to get the three.
We had plenty of time to score a TD or FG after the safety. It's irrelevant what happened afterwards unless we ended up getting a strip sack for a TD or a pick 6 or something on the next play.

Advertisement
The ACC's official reply:

Angry GIF by Voidz

Here's their answer on it.

“The rule is where the ball is when initial contact is made by the defender,” the representative said.

Of course anyone who saw the replay knows it's bull****.

I mean it’s bull**** as he was going backwards and No forward momentum but if it’s as they say, at the initial point of contact, the ball is partial on line and behind the line. It’s a safety regardless. This is so dumb. Yep safeties taken away from us this year. Insane! I’ve never seen anything like it in football.

1700144150040.jpeg

I mean it’s bull**** as he was going backwards and No forward momentum but if it’s as they say, at the initial point of contact, the ball is partial on line and behind the line. It’s a safety regardless. This is so dumb. Yep safeties taken away from us this year. Insane! I’ve never seen anything like it in football.

View attachment 266360
Not only that but he lost control of t[BGCOLOR=initial]he ball and recovered it. So initial contact reset after that.[/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement

View attachment 266360

I also think the ball shifts in his hands… in our favor

Actually that is a great explanation of the rule. The only issue is that there is absolutely no angle of any video that shows even a part of the ball out of the end zone on initial contact let alone the whole ball which is what is required by rule.

But that isn’t the rule. The rule is forward progress - the same as spotting a ball. If an offensive player is touched outside the endzone but they enter the endzone on their own momentum or progress, it’s still a safety if they are then downed in the endzone.

You’re right that the ball was not fully out of the endzone even when the tackle was initiated in this case… so even under their version of the rule it was a safety… but the explanation of the rule is 100% wrong.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Didn’t this actually work out okay? They punted short. We then got 3 rather than 2. The free kick would have been from the 20 I assume. Less likely to get the three.
No way. Miami was getting the ball either way punt or free kick. It should have been 10-9 with the free kick. A one point game and Miami's ball. Miami had it rolling in the second quarter. We will never know because Miami got shafted. Just me but I want every point scored to be put on the score board.

View attachment 266360
You break the plane to score a TD. Should be the same with a safety.

You break the plane to score a TD. Should be the same with a safety.

The announcers were perplexed. Annoyed really. And discussed this at great length.

For that reason alone, I’d like to see this discussion continued because officiating is an ongoing, inconsistent circus.

It’s a billion dollar sport and we have nonsense like this that impacts the game.

I’d be saying this if Miami wasn’t involved in the game, but this was a rivalry game with playoff implications…

Fix the ******* officiating and replay system across college football …

Advertisement
Back