Has one rule change

Advertisement
The anti fun MIAMI RULES were a little balanced. Thill's personal rule about the six guns in the tunnel could be taken as aimed at offense. Other than those, most have been getting the game ready for girls to play.

Targeting cuts both ways. Remember last night when an offensive player got flagged for a blindside block? That benefits the defense.

But yeah, most rule changes are all about creating more scoring. For example, the DBs used to be able to get away with a lot more contact on WRs. Now they can’t touch them. That has changed the game.

Advertisement
Not sure if this is coming up in the context of spearing, but that's been against the rules since the 70s. I'd argue that rule changed benefited players on defense by deterring them from tackling in a way that could permanently put them in a wheelchair.

Advertisement
In last 40 years ncaa football benefitted the defense? Seems like rule changes all tend to pussify the game and not allow defenses to be great.

Nope. My least favorite was when defensive linemen could no long slap the **** out of the Olinemen's helmets. They used to try to take their heads off - and I think a couple times they had to call a timeout to clear the field of a loose head.

I just love seeing stories about guys like Jim McMahon admitting he walks around his house constantly and cant remember why he walked into a specific room. We should make that happen more often.

Advertisement
Football today is not as good as it was in the 80’s. Not even close.

Big hits were part of what made football great to play and watch. You wanted to hit someone so hard they blew snot bubbles.

Today players are so soft. Football players today are softer than basketball players was in the 80’s.

Advertisement
People now come to see the beauty of the game more than the violence. That has changed. It isn’t inherently bad. And staying the violence course would eventually get the game outlawed. It is on a good course. Violence in the controlled sense won’t be gone. Just more measured which is a civilized plan. Anywho.

Advertisement
Back