Has anyone ever opened and closed an on-campus stadium on the same day?

I'm not really sure why you're trying to make me the face of opposition to a stadium that I don't oppose, but...

What happens if they decide to put the stadium in Homestead, do you fully support that? Do you think the community is going to rally around a stadium that they almost certainly won't want built, in the case of Tropical Park?

I'm even farther north in Jupiter. I've also been to more baseball and basketball games than football games. I commuted to Coral Gables after work to attend classes, so if you're trying to imply that I'm just selfish and don't want to drive, you'rte barking up the wrong tree.

You act like this is a battle between the words "south" and "north." I'm not getting you. They wouldn't put a stadium in Homestead because its far away from the U (same problem as HRS) and it's not only lightly populated, but far away from the affluent areas of Miami.

Tropical Park or even a stadium in Miami (not Miami Gardens) like the OB checks every box. Most importantly, closer to the U. Also, closer to more population and affluence, not to mention the finer hotels.

And to be frank, and honest, yes, I was implying that you were be geographically selfish. Clearly you lived in Broward or PBC based on your posts, because there isn't a single logical reason for not allowing money to be raised to build our OWN stadium, that we can own, exploit, control, and allow the program to finally have venue security.

All this said, I've never once doubted your fandom. And you know I think highly of you as a poster. But its not the University of Jupiter, Broward, Miami Gardens, or PBC. It's the University of Miami, which is located south of town in the Gables. Our stadium needs to be as much a part of the UM community as possible. This isn't rocket science. This is what every single D1 program aspires to, if they don't already have a stadium on campus (most do of course). It's always been a pipe dream. I pay they pull it off.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You act like this is a battle between the words "south" and "north." I'm not getting you. They wouldn't put a stadium in Homestead because its far away from the U (same problem as HRS) and it's not only lightly populated, but far away from the affluent areas of Miami.

Tropical Park or even a stadium in Miami (not Miami Gardens) like the OB checks every box. Most importantly, closer to the U. Also, closer to more population and affluence, not to mention the finer hotels.

And to be frank, and honest, yes, I was implying that you were be geographically selfish. Clearly you lived in Broward or PBC based on your posts, because there isn't a single logical reason for not allowing money to be raised to build is our OWN stadium, that we can own, exploit, control, and allow the program to finally have venue security.

All this said, I've never once doubted your fandom. And you know I think highly of you as a poster. But its not the University of Jupiter, Broward, Miami Gardens, or PBC. It's the University of Miami, which is located south of town in the Gables. Our stadium needs to be as much a part of the UM community as possible. This isn't rocket science. This is what every single D1 program aspires to, if they don't already have a stadium on campus (most do of course). It's always been a pipe dream. I pay they pull it off.
For the record, I think the stadium should be the shortest distance to the largest amount of people. It will never be on campus, that's a complete impossibility. But our own stadium with the associated revenue would be nice.

I have no opposition to them building it anywhere, the location will not change my frequency of attendance. I just want the maximum revenue.

Hard Rock can currently seat 65K for football. We are 33rd in college football.

View attachment 179361

A 60,000 seat stadium would put us at 47th, equal with West Virginia, and just behind schools like Mississippi State, North Carolina, Cal, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois and Oklahoma State (all "state schools").

A 55,000 seat stadium would put us at 52nd, equal with GaTech and Louisville, and just behind schools like Ole Miss, NC State, Arizona, and Arizona State.

Finally, a 50,000 seat stadium would put us at 63rd, equal with K-State and Stanford, and just behind schools like Maryland, Oregon, Colorado, and Indiana.

There are 34 schools bunched between 50K and 65K for seating capacity, including many state schools in large states. We need to give some consideration to the current trends in attendance (declining) and acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, we aren't going to be putting 80K in the stands anymore. This isn't the 1980s. Or 1990s. Or even the "2017 Notre Dame game" any longer.

I'd love to be cheering for my alma mater with 70 or 80 thousand other fans, but I don't think it's gonna happen that way anymore, and I don't think it's an argument for "staying in Hard Rock forever and ever".

Miami is a private school, not a state school. And if we need to rent Hard Rock twice a decade for the UiF game, so be it.
On a space, Ruiz said this new venue would be 65k. We wouldn’t have to rent anything and lose out all that money on big games.

On a space, Ruiz said this new venue would be 65k. We wouldn’t have to rent anything and lose out all that money on big games.

That's fine. I presented the other stadium numbers for comparatives, but if it's 65K in RFS and 65K in HRS, then we are fine.

Except for the Golden Canes who are mad that they lost their living room recliner seats at HRS.

Politicians being the reprehensible creatures they are can be bought obviously...however...

back to reality as this position likely remains unchanged👇

"...A spokesman for the city wrote in an email that the city is “NOT in favor of a stadium project.”

In addition, a stadium is not compatible with the surrounding neighborhoods..."

A stadium would be great for our Canes on/walking distance to campus...what an atmosphere it would create. The potential revenue is also attractive. With that said, MDC and CG are going in the opposite direction of what is necessary to bring Ruiz's vision to life. You see it everyday with the Underline project (btw it isn't going great) and UM's substation is already woefully undersized for the new dorms (also not going great and at risk of year delay). And forget about water, wastewater, and stormwater shortfalls in that area (they are massive btw).

Beckham and Mas were rejected, what 5 times for soccer stadium location, and they still have a hornet's nest of ****nic and ammonia problems at the MIA location.

Our Canes best bet (and who knows the odds) likely lay in a re-habbed Marlins Park (after the Marlins leave South Florida) or stay at HRS.

With all the above said, there is another tactic to take: follow the Texas model.

Ruiz could propose (say Tropical Park) to build a football palace that is appropriately sized for ALL Dade County football to use. High school on Fridays, Canes on Thursdays and Saturdays. The South Florida Regional and State Championship games could be played there as well. Get several municipalities on board with this idea and maybe, just maybe...

Advertisement
Ruiz could propose (say Tropical Park) to build a football palace that is appropriately sized for ALL Dade County football to use. High school on Fridays, Canes on Thursdays and Saturdays. The South Florida Regional and State Championship games could be played there as well. Get several municipalities on board with this idea and maybe, just maybe...

But they are already planning on doing that, and 10x more. You should read what they are saying their plan is for Tropical Park. Some snippets:

Ruiz plans to rebuild many of the existing facilities and include even more in his construction of LifeWallet Park. In addition to LifeWallet Stadium, Ruiz said he hopes to build a new branch of Jackson Health, spaces for athletic training with audio-visual equipment and sites for “every sport that exists.”

John Ruiz is the UM graduate and donor trying to make it happen. He said Tropical Park is on their list and it would include facilities for high school teams and the public too. "It’s a complete, entire sort of landscape for the community," Ruiz said Friday. "So Dade County schools, a lot of them don’t have baseball fields, a lot of them don’t have football fields. They don’t have the right facilities for basketball, for volleyball, for tennis. So this will incorporate all of it and provide a forum for all these sports to be played." Ruiz said the park would have a police and fire station and place for a helicopter to land in emergencies.

And I couldn't find the quote I was really looking for, which got a little more granular about the specific sports facilities (non-football) they want to build there for the community. But "every sport that exists" pretty much covered it.

They basically want to create a world-class multi-sport mixed use massive site that serves the entire community, with a football stadium for UM too, and... yeah, you read that right, they want to build the city of Miami another hospital to serve the residents. That is a BFD. Beyond.

That's fine. I presented the other stadium numbers for comparatives, but if it's 65K in RFS and 65K in HRS, then we are fine.

Except for the Golden Canes who are mad that they lost their living room recliner seats at HRS.
That section always looks empty anyways. Makes stadium look weird.

I think you’re going to be surprised by the design of the new stadium.

But they are already planning on doing that, and 10x more. You should read what they are saying their plan is for Tropical Park. Some snippets:

Ruiz plans to rebuild many of the existing facilities and include even more in his construction of LifeWallet Park. In addition to LifeWallet Stadium, Ruiz said he hopes to build a new branch of Jackson Health, spaces for athletic training with audio-visual equipment and sites for “every sport that exists.”

John Ruiz is the UM graduate and donor trying to make it happen. He said Tropical Park is on their list and it would include facilities for high school teams and the public too. "It’s a complete, entire sort of landscape for the community," Ruiz said Friday. "So Dade County schools, a lot of them don’t have baseball fields, a lot of them don’t have football fields. They don’t have the right facilities for basketball, for volleyball, for tennis. So this will incorporate all of it and provide a forum for all these sports to be played." Ruiz said the park would have a police and fire station and place for a helicopter to land in emergencies.

And I couldn't find the quote I was really looking for, which got a little more granular about the specific sports facilities (non-football) they want to build there for the community. But "every sport that exists" pretty much covered it.

They basically want to create a world-class multi-sport mixed use massive site that serves the entire community, with a football stadium for UM too, and... yeah, you read that right, they want to build the city of Miami another hospital to serve the residents. That is a BFD. Beyond.
The more stakeholders who "want it" he can bring to the table the better for sure....

z8AJNUSLDgNvG.gif

the hospital thing is a whole other shiny bead...just ask Kendall how their CoN went with their Trauma ambitions (beyond foolish)

What? I'M not going to be surprised. The "just say no to a new stadium" crowd will be surprised, but not me.

I posted a range of stadium capacities for CONVERSATIONAL purposes. I don't think you can ever find a post of mine that said "hey, guys, you are going to love the 45K erector set stadium that is being planned".

I have consistently and persistently been optimistic and big-thinking when it comes to a stadium and what could be done. I'm not going to "be surprised". I'm going to be the one trying not to scream "I told you so" at every HRS-or-die bro on the board.

Advertisement

Keep in mind that was built for the Dolphins to compete with NFL offerings. Yeah, it's so weird. A UM-specific stadium will not have anything like that. There will certainly be super-premium products, but more in-line with the high-end CFB stadiums that are out there.

The stadium makes a ton of sense if it’s a mixed use development that extends the campus and maybe the business school moves there. Off campus housing, a hotel, restaurants, an incubator etc.

Advertisement
Back