Has anyone ever opened and closed an on-campus stadium on the same day?

more money for the program
More money for the program. You can never have enough of that.

Would we or would we not be better served by directing the stadium funds to NIL, football facilites, NIL, retaining coaches, NIL and so on while continuing to play at a state of the art 64,000-seat centrally located NFL stadium?

I don't know enough to say definitively, but I am interested in what Canes nation thinks ...

Advertisement
(y)

USF ↔️ UCF just like FSU ↔️ UF.

Always gonna be about trying to keep up with (or stay ahead of) the Joneses for those schools, in this case the Bulls trying to make that jump and follow the Knights to the Big 12.

Students and alumni will forever be a very large percentage of USF and UCF's fan bases (and to a lesser extent the Turds and Holes, too).

That will never be the case with UM for all the reasons most everyone here has read and heard a hundred times.

We are positioned as South Florida's team ... and beyond that a national and even iconic brand in College Football, arguably the nation's No. 2 sport.

NOBODY else in this state can match The U's cachet — regardless if we're playing our games 20-something miles from campus or not.

We ain't Pitt playing in the Steelers stadium or Temple playing in the Eagles stadium with limited interest even when the team is winning.

An on campus stadium would be fun and exciting and all that, but would it really elevate recruiting or increase interest in the three-county region where most of our in-state fans reside?
No it would not.

Anyone at the Notre dame game in 2017 should know first hand why we don’t NEED a stadium. Especially if the only one we can get is comparatively small or inaccessible.

No it would not.

Anyone at the Notre dame game in 2017 should know first hand why we don’t NEED a stadium. Especially if the only one we can get is comparatively small or inaccessible.
One game justifies turning down a state of the art gift? Lol. One game! Let’s ignore all the other opportunities this stadium can provide to this program, AD and city because…….of one game.

Would we or would we not be better served by directing the stadium funds to NIL, football facilites, NIL, retaining coaches, NIL and so on while continuing to play at a state of the art 64,000-seat centrally located NFL stadium?

I don't know enough to say definitively, but I am interested in what Canes nation thinks ...
When you have a family offering both stadium and NIL deals, why is this even a question? Lol

Are there seriously fans that wouldn’t want us to have our own stadium? Like for real? Lol

Do people not realize how much revenue stadiums generate??? From ticket sales, suites, concessions, advertising, naming rights, licensing, merchandising, parking, team store & memorabilia etc.. Not to mention leasing for venues for concerts & other events...

The Dolphins sold the naming rights to their stadium to Hard Rock Cafe for $250Mill, the stadium itself generates over $100million a year in ticket sales alone from Phins games, Miami only gets a % of our ticket sales, we get pennies on the dollar for what revenue we bring to HRS.

Having our own stadium would generate easily $70-100mill in revenue for the Hurricanes & we would profit & benefit off that the most, aside from astronomical TV money from conference payouts in the SEC, schools like TAMU, Bama, UGA, etc make so much money in large part due to their stadiums, along with merchandising, donations from Boosters etc..

The point being is, having your own stadium in college football is a no brainer if you plan on being a competitive program that wants to generate revenue, now if you suck & are a perennial loser, then yeah having your own stadium is inconsequential, but no other move would signal more that Miami is really byke than to have our OWN stadium & not be a houseguest of the **** Dolphins.

The only reason I’ve seen anybody be against it is because of local fckin traffic...

Like people are willing to sacrifice the program potentially making several hundred million all due to the minor inconvenience of some stupid *** traffic that eventually clears up smh lol. Gotta love Canes fans.

Advertisement
One game justifies turning down a state of the art gift? Lol. One game! Let’s ignore all the other opportunities this stadium can provide to this program, AD and city because…….of one game.
I said we don’t need a stadium. Key word being need.

If the supposedly gifted stadium is small, or an even worse traffic situation than already exist in coral gables/ south Miami , than I would say it’s not worth it.

Are there seriously fans that wouldn’t want us to have our own stadium? Like for real? Lol

Do people not realize how much revenue stadiums generate??? From ticket sales, suites, concessions, advertising, naming rights, licensing, merchandising, parking, team store & memorabilia etc.. Not to mention leasing for venues for concerts & other events...

The Dolphins sold the naming rights to their stadium to Hard Rock Cafe for $250Mill, the stadium itself generates over $100million a year in ticket sales alone from Phins games, Miami only gets a % of our ticket sales, we get pennies on the dollar for what revenue we bring to HRS.

Having our own stadium would generate easily $70-100mill in revenue for the Hurricanes & we would profit & benefit off that the most, aside from astronomical TV money from conference payouts in the SEC, schools like TAMU, Bama, UGA, etc make so much money in large part due to their stadiums, along with merchandising, donations from Boosters etc..

The point being is, having your own stadium in college football is a no brainer if you plan on being a competitive program that wants to generate revenue, now if you suck & are a perennial loser, then yeah having your own stadium is inconsequential, but no other move would signal more that Miami is really byke than to have our OWN stadium & not be a houseguest of the **** Dolphins.

The only reason I’ve seen anybody be against it is because of local fckin traffic...

Like people are willing to sacrifice the program potentially making several hundred million all due to the minor inconvenience of some stupid *** traffic that eventually clears up smh lol. Gotta love Canes fans.
Most of the people that are against this stadium are the ones who do not want to drive to Miami because HRS is closer to their home. They are only looking at their inconvenience and looking for petty reasons, such as traffic, to argue against the stadium. They are legit cheering against a family that has given this program so many resources to make us competitive. It’s mind boggling. Thankfully, IF it happens, the smarter people in charge will be thrilled about this amazing gift and opportunity for the entire Athletic Department.

Btw, expect some designs in 3-4 months. I hear it’s going to be Ray J, cray, cray.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Shhhhhhhhh, @Liberty City El…..too much logic in this. ****, I posted the USC financial report for crying sake, validating this. Ninjas wanna play in an uncertain future, aqua stadium w/ some pinned up U banners, saying it’s nice. LMAO. All for the name of their own convenience; not so the U can overcome another recruiting hurdle, or another opportunity to make $$ as a leasing partner…nah, bro, let’s continue to lose $$ to cater to “traffic.” Lol. And ppl wonder why Miami has been stuck.

A poster just said why not allocate those funds towards NIL? Lol. How about, why not have both? Have a stadium that will boost our recruiting acumen further, & w/ potential earnings, to be reinvested into the program, including NIL’s. Lol. I digress.

Did the OB negatively affect recruiting? I mean, it was a facility not owned by the Canes and shared with the Dolphins for 20 years. If not, why not? I'm just wondering.

If Ruiz pays for the whole thing, of course the Canes should move forward with it under 2 conditions:

1. Let's see this business deal come to fruition first so Ruiz will definitely be able to put his money where his mouth is. The worst thing that could happen is the project gets started and a year into construction his deal is broken or his financing falls through leaving the Canes with the choice of completing the stadium with its own funds or going back to Stephen Ross with hat in hand asking to get a new lease. It sounds like Ruiz's deal is pretty safe, but I have lived down here all my life and I've seen plenty of "sure-thing" billionaires never come to fruition.

2. Get a full view of what kind of stadium will be built. If it is an erector set ala UCF or FAU, no thanks. I've been to Miami games at both of those stadiums and they are basically high school bleachers with a few suites and a pressbox.

Advertisement
Message board talk is fun but the bottom line is that no AD of a major college football program would rather not have their own stadium, including our very own new AD, who has already stated on the record, that ideally it would be better to have your own stadium. The reasons are common sense. It really comes down to feasibility, nothing more.

No it would not.

This statement is FACT! If you were there, you already know. Our problem hasn’t been the stadium. It’s been the team on the field. Once we start to win again and dominate, the narrative will change to “it’s unfair that Miami plays in a pro stadium.” Wait for it…. 🙄

Since it's the offseason...I need one person to give me one good reason Miami should build a stadium closer to campus. I've yet to see a legitimate argument.
If we suck, we can seem somewhat full with 10k fans there…

I totally agree with you. These kids get to play in an updated NFL stadium. I would think that is a benefit to the players to get them here, especially kids from the area. I also couldn’t imagine how many fans you will exclude from trying to get down there. I grew up south of campus and haven’t even tried to get down there for the past 7-10 years. Traffic is a nightmare around there.

I get the allure of an on campus stadium. I have travelled, I even graduated from OSU; but those towns are small ****holes and we are selling something totally different to these kids. Coral Gables is a great place, but it’s not a college town, and it is located in MIAMI!

Once we start filling the stadium for every FSU game, for every big game and have it more than half full for Chattanooga St, I wonder if calls for an on campus stadium continue.

Advertisement
Or just knock down MOSI and build it there. I think they were having financial problems and was planning to move downtown (if not all ready moved).
It would give people a reason to use that walkway bridge to MOSI, but I Like corner of BBD and Fowler. Gives the program so much more exposure and possibly few thousand more fans.

Shhhhhhhhh, @Liberty City El…..too much logic in this. ****, I posted the USC financial report for crying sake, validating this. Ninjas wanna play in an uncertain future, aqua stadium w/ some pinned up U banners, saying it’s nice. LMAO. All for the name of their own convenience; not so the U can overcome another recruiting hurdle, or another opportunity to make $$ as a leasing partner…nah, bro, let’s continue to lose $$ to cater to “traffic.” Lol. And ppl wonder why Miami has been stuck.

A poster just said why not allocate those funds towards NIL? Lol. How about, why not have both? Have a stadium that will boost our recruiting acumen further, & w/ potential earnings, to be reinvested into the program, including NIL’s. Lol. I digress.

What's really bad (and misguided) about the poster who said "why not allocate those funds towards NIL" is that it is magical thinking. He acts as if John Ruiz has deposited a bag of money on UM's doorstep and just said "I trust you to spend this however you want". But that's not what is happening.

At the end of the day, John Ruiz wants his family name on a building. He's already spending millions on NIL, he is not going to spend a couple hundred million more on NIL, though he seems willing to spend a couple hundred million on a stadium. He wants his name on a building for decades, and I respect that, and it is his prerogative. It's not for some b!tchy fans in Broward or Palm Beach to say "no, Mr. Ruiz, please spend your money on something else, we want a shorter drive to games and WE want to tell you how WE want to spend your money".

I said we don’t need a stadium. Key word being need.

If the supposedly gifted stadium is small, or an even worse traffic situation than already exist in coral gables/ south Miami , than I would say it’s not worth it.

Why do you choose to invent impediments and fantasies that make your "conclusion" self-fulfilling?

You can couch it in conditional language ("if"), but it's the same bullcrap arguments people have been making for years.

Meanwhile...Hard Rock seating capacity has declined, Hard Rock parking capacity has declined, and UM will have even less negotiating leverage for the next lease than we had when the Orange Bowl was still standing.

We are about to have the richest man in Florida as our #1 booster, and people are still complaining about UM accepting a gift of a football stadium...
Or the Marlins might finally fold and Ruiz can invest in renovating that stadium to College football specs... Should be cheaper and we get the O Bowl location back, right?.

Advertisement
Back