Has a non coordinator OL guy ever been successful head coach?

Advertisement
Mario might fail here but he didn’t fail at Oregon

Not sure why we are such a miserable fan base that we try to discredit our coaches resume

2 pac 12 titles at Oregon and consistent top recruiting classes. That’s why he got this job

Will it work? Who knows but whether or not he was a coordinator is irrelevant as he’s already been successful at a top program
I agree I think Mario is Dabo but Mario is a better recruiter. He just needs to find his Chad Morris like Dabo did. He was on the hot seat before that. Looks like he's been striking out on QBs and OC recently though so will be interesting to see how far Clemson falls.

Skill position. Need to change that. Looking for offensive line only guys
ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small-3999194146.gif

Advertisement
Darrel Royal
Mike Ditka
Bill Walsh was a OC for one season with the Chargers but if I recall correctly he didn’t call plays
Mike McDaniel also was a OC for one year but didn’t call plays (Shanahan did)

PJ Fleck

Just hire a good offensive coordinator and this problem can be solved, Mario can focus on recruiting and setting the tone for the team, get a XO’s guy and a game manager in there someone that knows how to tweek things to make them work.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So most coaches have previously been either offensive or defensive coordinators or skill positions.

(Andy Reid) only 1 named so far

Mario has no specialty but offensive line. We all know he needs to just be a CEO and recruit but has that ever worked before somewhere?

Honestly I don’t know so I’m curious if anyone can think of a coach winning championships in college or nfl that wasn’t previously a coordinator and was just a position coach.

I wouldn't even put Andy Reid on this list. He developed into a playcaller. Dabo was a WR coach I believe before taking the HC job but just like Reid he learned to be a playcaller

Advertisement
Never an OC prior to Utah?

Might need to change it to has anyone been an O-line coach haha.

Was urban over skill positions?
Urban Meyer also developed into being a playcaller as a HC. Urban Meyer became one of college football best playcaller on offense and has developed a big tree of OC's under him. I would not put Mario and Urban in the same boat.

So most coaches have previously been either offensive or defensive coordinators or skill positions.

(Andy Reid) only 1 named so far

Mario has no specialty but offensive line. We all know he needs to just be a CEO and recruit but has that ever worked before somewhere?

Honestly I don’t know so I’m curious if anyone can think of a coach winning championships in college or nfl that wasn’t previously a coordinator and was just a position coach.

Bear Bryant
Mike Ditka

There’s plenty of others.

Being a coordinator is not in any way a prerequisite to being a good HC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back