2022 Harold Perkins — 2022 LB; Picks LSU

It's rare because they aren't getting the talent. Do you believe years ago that all of the things you listed that they will be missing out on now didn't exist in comparison to the big schools? Sure those disparities existed. The difference was those talented guys simply weren't allowed to play at major schools so they found their way to the NFL by playing at the schools where they could play.

Make no mistake about if IF more talented players went to hbcu's you'd see more hbcu kids being drafted despite the "lack of development." And all of this talk of development completely ignores the fact that a good amount of the draft is based on projection anyway. How many times do we here talk like "hasn't scratched the surface" or " he's young for his age" or "he's only played football for x years" or "he's played x position but he projects as a (insert position) at the next level."

Truth is a good amount of these coaches that we think are better are just better because they have better players.

Yes, if more kids went to HBCUs, more of them would get drafted. That's just the law of large numbers. However, I guarantee you that the rate of 4 and 5 star kids getting drafted out of HBCUs and getting drafted in the early rounds would lag FAR behind the rate for kids that go to the bigger schools.

Advertisement
It's rare though. That is the point. I don't really understand why that is shocking to you. The reality is, kids that go to these schools, no matter how talented they are, are less likely to get developed because they get worse coaching, worse facilities, worse healthcare and nutrition, and most importantly, they face far worse competition. A 5 star talent coming out of high school is far more likely to rely on their God given talent to dominate against the low-level competition they are going to face at an HBCU. That will stunt their development and significantly reduce the likelihood of getting drafted high.
Thank you they seem to have a hard time understanding

Picking JSU is no longer “shocking the world”
Can you believe that you even said that?

source.gif

Yes, if more kids went to HBCUs, more of them would get drafted. That's just the law of large numbers. However, I guarantee you that the rate of 4 and 5 star kids getting drafted out of HBCUs and getting drafted in the early rounds would lag FAR behind the rate for kids that go to the bigger schools.
Maybe. Maybe not. I'll admit that there are advantages to going to the bigger schools. I just think some of you are overrating the coaching aspect of it. With that said, I've highjacked this thread enough. Hopefully we get all of the guys that our staff wants.

Advertisement
Maybe. Maybe not. I'll admit that there are advantages to going to the bigger schools. I just think some of you are overrating the coaching aspect of it. With that said, I've highjacked this thread enough. Hopefully we get all of the guys that our staff wants.
Hence why I said "and most importantly" in my original post (i.e., referring to the level of competition). I would agree that the coaching is probably he least of the issues. I think the level of competition and the nutrition and training/medical resources are probably the biggest issues with these smaller schools.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back