Had a chance to watch Demetrius Jackson play basketball

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
I went to the Ransom-Booker T. Washington game last night, which was the regional quarterfinal matchup. Everything you look for in a football player who plays basketball, Jackson has. He finished the game with 26 points and was matched up with Trey Mourning (Alonzo's son and a top basketball recruit) for most of the night.

The first thing that jumped out to me about him on the court was that he does not have the look of a "basketball player" as far as body composition. His lower half is very strong and he has bulked up tremendously in the last year. His size will not be an issue on the football field, especially as he continues to focus on adding weight over the next few months.

In the first half, Booker T. picked up full court, where Jackson was at the top of the press. He was all over the court and had several steals where he showed off his wingspan and high pointed the ball. He is an extremely fluid athlete for his size, but was not afraid to use his body down low even when being covered by Mourning. There were a few instances where Jackson caught the ball in the high post and just overpowered the 6-9 Mourning to get to the basket.

In the second half, the Tornadoes picked up man-to-man and Jackson was covering Mourning. In the first half, when Booker T used more zone, Mourning had 16 points. Mourning scored 9 points in the second half, but almost all of the points he scored were a very difficult and Jackson seemed to frustrate him. On a related note, Mourning is a player...he's not just a name. Good touch around the rim with a smooth jumper for his size.

Nearly all of Jackson's points were at the rim on either dunks or layups. Like I said, the most encouraging thing that I took away from watching him is that he's not all that far away physically from being able to contribute on the football field. Jackson played the entire game as well and was playing his best as the game wore on. He always seemed to be around the basketball, which is another trait to look for in a defensive player in football.

I've been singing Jackson's praises for about six months now and last night validated a lot of my beliefs about him from a physical standpoint. Miami got a steal.

Advertisement
I can't wait to see how this class works out in the next few years. I hope jackson becomes a star!

When your're crying at the table after just signing with my Miami Hurricanes.

I've got your back. Period.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is Jackson considering two sports at the U? Is he good enough to play for the men's team? Are we recruiting him in hoops, too? TIA

Advertisement
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is Jackson considering two sports at the U? Is he good enough to play for the men's team? Are we recruiting him in hoops, too? TIA

Not sure, but don't think 6'5 Power Forwards have a lot of upside...

He wants to play basketball too, but I'm not sure if they will give him the chance. At the least, he would be a really good defender.

Advertisement
When your're crying at the table after just signing with my Miami Hurricanes.

I've got your back. Period.

This.

And when you have the creepiest, stalkerish fanbase in all of College football (Arkansas) butthurt over your choice, I've got your back.

... with a smooth jumper...

Did you ask for lessons?

I would have been the third best player on the court

311.gif

The staff cant F this up. He will be the measuring stick in regards to whether or not Golden can develop talent. This is the type of kid that if he had went to ALA or LSU would be the talk of the nation in 2 years because god knows Saban/Smart and Myles/Chavis can develop some talent. Esp Saban. In fact, I think he might be getting a bad rep for maxing his guys out too much in college and they dont do **** in the league. But thats another story...

DJackson has massive potential esp in this defense and there is no reason why he shouldnt be a star in this scheme.

Advertisement
The staff cant F this up. He will be the measuring stick in regards to whether or not Golden can develop talent. This is the type of kid that if he had went to ALA or LSU would be the talk of the nation in 2 years because god knows Saban/Smart and Myles/Chavis can develop some talent. Esp Saban. In fact, I think he might be getting a bad rep for maxing his guys out too much in college and they dont do **** in the league. But thats another story...

DJackson has massive potential esp in this defense and there is no reason why he shouldnt be a star in this scheme.

Will golden and Dorito be here in 3 years?? Hmmm

Quick change of subject pete: what grade is trey mourning and does he have any interest in playing for us ?

Advertisement

Did you ask for lessons?

Did you ask for lessons?

Haha I've played against you and you are absolutely terrible lol

Not good enough to play center court in the wellness..

Did you ask for lessons?

Did you ask for lessons?

Yeah ok man. I play center court every day. Make yourself known to me next time you see me splashing out there

Did you ask for lessons?

Did you ask for lessons?

Did you ask for lessons?

Yeah ok man. I play center court every day. Make yourself known to me next time you see me splashing out there

Sunday's at 3

Advertisement
Back